Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Happy midsummer!

Tomorrow is midsummer's eve and I know that is something you don't celebrate in too many countries, but in Sweden it's as big holiday celibration as xmas.

[video:youtube]

The story goes that this originally was an actual German IKEA commercial (though the language in the film is actually swedish and the song when they're dancing 'round the midsummer pole is a traditional one... :smile: ), but it was banned before it was ever aired... Anyway - some midsummer parties might still be very similar to this... :D and some swedes still actually do wear clothes like that for midsummer since it's the traditional thing to wear.

So - happy midsummer to you all! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did celebrate this once with a bunch of swedes (or were they fins?). Wine, beer, and vodka in front of everyone and everyone drinking all three at once. Worst hangover ever!

Anybody who wants to cool off a little during the next couple months should visit San Francisco. Don't bother bringing sunscreen.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Summer is half-way over already?

:freak:

Well, actually we celebrate the summer solstice, meaning this is the longest day (most daylight hours) of the year, and in the north of sweden the sun never sets - so why not celebrate? :)

Read all about the tradition here

Now it's time to go home from work - with four wonderful weeks of vacation ahead! :D

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Shouldn't it be MIDIsummer? :D

That's a neat idea, but you know the rule - don't drink and overdrive! Or is that just for guitarists..?

• 11 months later...

Thanks, but the surströmming (fermented herring) premiere isn't until the third Thursday in August!

For midsummer we eat pickled herring instead... :)

I for one, do not do strömming except on a guitar, and will be having home baked pizze for midsommarsafton...

Happy midsummer to all!

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

...anytime! :-)

I had a Swedish friend visit Montreal in February, so next time it's my turn to head over there.

I'll keep you posted, but don't hold your breath! ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Crazily enough, I learned only recently that the seasons have different starting points according to country (except for the two emispheres, of course). For us Mediterraneans, summer started last Tuesday, June 21th.

Archived