Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Excuses you've used to justify gear purchases to yourself

Kayvon

I picked up a Clavinet E7 this week. I've wanted one for a good couple of years after hearing that Stevie tune. I don't really need it but I justified it to myself under the belief that I could practice some Bach (I've read he may have used a Clavichord) which would help my technique and sight reading which leaves a lot to be desired.

What are some of the excuses you've used in the past to justify gear purchases to yourself?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What excooses? Man, we don't need no steenkin' excooses. :poke:

More seriously - I really don't have to make up excuses. My wife is also a keyboardist. I do not put money into equipment that is needed for our family, and; if I can't pay the bill when it shows up within a month, I don't buy things.

Besides, I keep old gear until it becomes "vintage," then sell it to buy new gear. (sometimes, this works better than other times, 'cause sometimes instead of becoming "vintage," it just becomes "junque." :rimshot:

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

What are some of the excuses you've used in the past to justify gear purchases to yourself?

That question is a bit like the one put to Edmund Hillary when asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest.....

"Because it's there" :cool::thu:!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

What excooses? Man, we don't need no steenkin' excooses. :poke:

Right! :D

I'm not buying a lot of new instruments these days, partly because I've (re)focused on the acoustic piano. But in the past, it worked something like this: I asked myself three questions.

1) Do I really need it?

2) Do I really want it?

3) Can I afford it?

If at least two of these conditions were satisfied, I'd buy it. (of course, if I'd need and want it, but couldn't afford it, the situation could be a bit tricky!) :)

by adan:

I'd just waste the money on women and booze. Problem is, I do that anyway.

:D

A man after my own heart! That was once called a "double whammy". Which whammy do you like better?

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

My top 8 list:

8. Got it on a "Twelve months same as cash" deal... which means I'll eat out less to offset the difference, which will get me in the habit of not eating out so much... so in the long run, it develops money-saving habits. (The "gotta spend money to save money" argument)

7. It's a "like new" b-stock item, so I'm actually saving money compared to what I would have spent. (Variation on #8)

6. The Keyboard Corner guys said it was awesome.

5. But this one is RED!

4. At my age, it's cheaper than a sports car or boat.

3. This one is ACTUAL analog, not virtual analog.

2. It doesn't take up any more room (works for soft synths only).

1. I can always eBay it for close to the purchase price, so at worst it's a rental.

No one said these had to be RATIONAL justifications.

-John

I make software noises.

Ummm, the store was open?

Ummm, the internet was online?

1. I can always eBay it for close to the purchase price, so at worst it's a rental.

This is also a favoured one of mine. Mysteriously the right time never seems to present itself.

I'm really enjoying the Clav so far. It's damn hard to resist the temptation to switch in the wah though...

No excuses needed. If you want it, and can afford it (i.e. not spending the rent and food money on it), you should buy it- you only live once. :laugh:

Eventually you may find that you didn't really need it, and can sell it. And eventually you may even figure out that you don't really need it, and won't buy it in the first place. Then you may actually start selling off your gear to get down to a bare essential minimum- kinda where I am right now. :cool:

- you only live once. :laugh:

Now that is one of my favourite phrases, I use that one to justify a lot more than just gear purchases!

So do I :D..... is that a good thing or an bad thing tho?

mmmmm I reckon it's good :idea:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

by adan:

A man after my own heart! That was once called a "double whammy". Which whammy do you like better?

Cheers,

Mike T.

One escape from the double wammy is to say that, in theory, the new keyboard helps me get new women without as much expensive wooing, and so it actually saves me money. And there is usually some truth to that, but the math is incredibly squishy and assumption-ridden. So it's really more an article of faith than verifiable theory.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

- you only live once. :laugh:

Now that is one of my favourite phrases, I use that one to justify a lot more than just gear purchases!

Along those lines is: "You're born, and then you die. Enjoy the interval!"

by adan:

Cheers,

Mike T.

One escape from the double wammy is to say that, in theory, the new keyboard helps me get new women without as much expensive wooing, and so it actually saves me money. And there is usually some truth to that, but the math is incredibly squishy and assumption-ridden. So it's really more an article of faith than verifiable theory.

But issues of faith, and theories are both things that involve a fair amount of study, sometimes a lifetime of such. So, in your case, I suggest continued and varied experiments in the field for further clarification and insight. Perhaps, contrary to long held "wisdom", GAS can contribute to an improved love life. :idea:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

But issues of faith, and theories are both things that involve a fair amount of study, sometimes a lifetime of such. So, in your case, I suggest continued and varied experiments in the field for further clarification and insight. Perhaps, contrary to long held "wisdom", GAS can contribute to an improved love life. :idea:

It does indeed! Love of musical gear.. ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived