Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Five most diverse musical acts you've seen

Groove Mama

OK. So not to turn the LD into FB or anything, but a couple of the threads posted recently got me thinking about appreciating diverse genres of music, and I thought it would be interesting, for those who want to play along, to list the five most diverse musical acts you've seen.

We could do it just for grins or actually vote for the most diverse, and the winner will receive a prize, such as

a Batavia Bulldogs baseball cap[img:float]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/nhopp/Bataviacap-1.jpg[/img]

or a Tasty Salted Pig Parts T-shirt http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/nhopp/tastyfront-1.jpg [img:float] http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/nhopp/tastyside.jpg[/img] or something equally cool.

I'll start it off with my list, just to give you the idea:

- The Supremes

- Porter Wagoner

- New Kids on the Block

- Alash (throat singers of the Siberian Republic of Tuva)

- Miles Davis

Wanna play?

(And, yes, I've practiced my little fingers off tonight and now I'm bored.)

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toumani Diabate master of the kora from Mali

71st generation of musicians in his family

Iggy and the Stooges in the student union at the University of Michigan

The drummer was using a 30 gallon oil drum for a bass drum

Iggy was bleeding when the show was over

Son House

played blues with Robert Johnson and showed him a thing or two.

Shawn Lane (with Bunny Brunel on bass) (can't remember who was on drums)

More notes per minute than any four bands combined

Summit with Steve Smith on Drums, Zakir Hussein on Tabla, Kai Eckhardt on bass, George Brooks on sax, Fareed Haque on guitar.

I don't know what to call the kind of music they played.

- Robert Fripp (Soundscapes)

- Yothu Yindi

- Neil Young

- Ramones

- NIN (Nine Inch Nails)

Oh, man, love the Robert Fripp/Neil Young/Ramones combo! Too bad they weren't all on the same bill.

Bonus question: Who was Neil Young's roommate at one time? (But you guys probably already know this.)

Toumani Diabate master of the kora from Mali

71st generation of musicians in his family

Iggy and the Stooges in the student union at the University of Michigan

The drummer was using a 30 gallon oil drum for a bass drum

Iggy was bleeding when the show was over

Son House

played blues with Robert Johnson and showed him a thing or two.

Shawn Lane (with Bunny Brunel on bass) (can't remember who was on drums)

More notes per minute than any four bands combined

Summit with Steve Smith on Drums, Zakir Hussein on Tabla, Kai Eckhardt on bass, George Brooks on sax, Fareed Haque on guitar.

I don't know what to call the kind of music they played.

Toumani Diabate and Iggy?!!? THAT's gonna be tough to beat.

Beau, my first bass teacher, was a guitar student of Fareed Haque, Associate Professor at nearby Northern IL Univ, my alma mater. Beau described Fareed's fingers as "pistons." Fareed describes the music of his current band, Flat Earth Ensemble, as "Grooving Jazz meets Hindustani Folk music," a/k/a "Indo-Jazz Fusion."

I'll play.

Dizzy Gillespie, Oct 21, 1978. Played my hometown, sister got me a front row seat. It was his 61st birthday, which is how I remember the date. His wife gave me a piece of his cake while I waited to meet him after the concert.

New York Philharmonic playing Brandenburg #2 and Pictures at an Exhibition, 2 major trumpet/brass-centric pieces (I play trumpet). Best of all: saw the concert with my 3 daughters who play trumpet, French horn, and tuba. They were knocked out.

Yes, Madison Square Garden in 1979. The first in-the-round revolving stage concert, my first "big" concert. Wakeman rocked the cape behind a mountain of keyboards.

James Brown, just a few months before he died. In a preconcert TV interview, a reporter from my station asked "So, what can people expect tonight?" James replied "A CHUCKWAGON O' FUNK". And James brought it. Took my oldest teenage daughter who years from now can say "yeah, I saw James Brown".

Weather Report on the 8:30 tour. 'Nuf said.

It was really hard to pick 5. Left off list: a Stevie Wonder "Hotter Than July" concert, Ivan Lins (that's just for Jeremy), Peter Gabriel's first solo tour (with Jan Hammer opening), Stevie Ray Vaughan in a small club in Poughkeepsie on his first tour, Ray Charles, David Bowie, Prince @ Madison Square Garden, Randy Newman w/orchestra, a Springsteen 4.5 hour Born in the USA tour concert, Miles Davis in the mid-80s, Pat Metheny Group in a club in 1980, kd lang & Lyle Lovett, a King Crimson "Discipline" concert in NYC, Hancock-Metheny-Holland-DeJohnette, the Reverend Al Green, Brian Wilson & Paul Simon together...

The Who

The Mighty Clouds of Joy

The Clash

The Earl Scruggs Review

South Brunswick High School Marching Band (One of the best in the state, frequently nationally ranked)

There are others but that's fairly diverse.

Push the button Frank.

saw the concert with my 3 daughters who play trumpet, French horn, and tuba. They were knocked out.

Isn't it the best when you enjoy it with your kids? I took my 16-year-old son out of school last fall to attend a Victor Wooten clinic. Well worth missing a schoolday.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/nhopp/NickandVicta-1.jpg

"So, what can people expect tonight?" James replied "A CHUCKWAGON O' FUNK".

What a great name for a band!

It was really hard to pick 5.

Agreed. And your overflow list is awesome. I was thinking this morning you should be able to submit multiple lists.

- Eurhythmics

- Led Zeppelin

- Van Cliburn

- Weather Report

- Avenged Sevenfold

Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Favorite concert: outdoors at Kensington Metro Park for July 4th (with fireworks).

Jean Luc Ponty. Stretched out on a blanket with my future wife on MSU campus as a perfect summer's day gave way to a starry night.

Koko Taylor, "Queen of the Blues", at Chicago Blues Festival.

Kodo drummers of Japan at MSU Wharton Center.

Garth Brooks, Palace of Auburn Hills.

Honorable mention: Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers (for Jeremy), Indigo Swing (featuring Mrs. C's student, Johnny Boyd), Dem Brooklyn Bums (for you NYers), Lyric Chamber Ensemble (of Southfield, MI), Patrice Jackson (cellist, Sphinx Awardee, featured soloist with Lima Symphony of Ohio), Chick Corea (masterclass at Wayne State), Romantics, Was (Not Was), Tim McGraw, The Firm [edit: thanks to kenfxj, Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, etc. drum & bugle corps]

Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Jean Luc Ponty

Koko Taylor

Kodo drummers of Japan

Garth Brooks

What a great list. And I love the stories that go along with them. Am also amazed at how many non-mega acts a lot of us have in common. But, then, maybe that's not so amazing on this kind of niche forum.

Honorable mention: Was (Not Was)

So jealous! That group was a diverse musical act all in itself. Mitch Ryder, Leonard Cohen, Ozzy Osbourne and Mel Torme?! Whew! Never saw them live, but shook my groove thang to them big-time. "Woodwork squeaks and out come the freaks!" I'll be happy to carry that tune around in my head all day. Thanks, Eric! :thu:

The Who

The Mighty Clouds of Joy

The Clash

The Earl Scruggs Review

South Brunswick High School Marching Band (One of the best in the state, frequently nationally ranked)

Earl Scruggs, The Who and The Clash! Love it, Ken, love it!

2nd round:

Frank Zappa (several times)

The Metropolitan Opera production of Der Rosenkavalier

The Grateful Dead

Chuck Mangione's 35th anniversary "Friends & Love" concert with the Rochester Philharmonic and his original rhythm section: Tony Levin and Steve Gadd

Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" tour (with David Byrne in the big white suit)

The MC5

Woody Shaw

Please hold your calls, we have a winner. LOVE Woody Shaw.

I'm back just like the flu...

Laurie Anderson

Rush

Arrested Development (best known for the song Tennessee)

Gyuto Tibetian Monks

Echo & the Bunnymen

David Byrne (Rei Momo tour)

Omg Ken the CLASH!

Warwick Corvette 4 Proline

Tune Casiopea TWX 6 string

I've been to a bunch of shows. But picking out things that show the diversity of the artists is a wee bit challenging.

The Les Paul Trio - I got to see Les when he was in his 70's and he still had a lot of his dexterity. It was an eye opening experience to see what two guitarists, an upright bassist and a singer could do. Throw in Les Paul's funny stories in between songs and it was pretty cool.

Dwight Yoakam - Alright, normally I'm not into Country music. But he wound up playing at my job one time (long story) and he and his band were just tremendous. They were also the loudest country band that I've ever heard! And to me he represents country's real roots and not the plastic crap that Nashville has become over the past 10+ years.

Zappa plays Zappa - This was a really interesting show. It was Dweezil Zappa leading a tremendous lineup that played Frank Zappa's music. Included in the lineup were Zappa alumni like Napoleon Murphy Brock, Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio.

The Reverend Horton Heat - Without a doubt this guy is The KING of psychobilly. He knows how to work a crowd. And I saw him in a club that was a converted church. His showstopping move? Having his upright bass player lay the bass on it's side, with the Rev climbing on top of it like a God! He owned that crowd.

Pink Floyd - I saw them during the Pulse tour (minus Roger Waters), but it was an incredible show. Between the sound and the visuals it was one of the most incredible sensory experiences I've ever had. And they opened the show with a Syd Barrett era song, "Astronomy Domine". Wow. What a head trip!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Ted Nugent

the Harmonicats

Jessica Simpson

This alone is enough to make my head explode.

The Mahavisnu Orchastra

Little Jimmy Dickens

Detroit Symphony

Wow, I'd say you're a top contender here, b5.

The five most diverse musical acts I have actually played with:

Jimmy McCracklin

The MC5

Woody Shaw

SF 49ers Band

Florence Henderson

You actually played with the MC5 ~and~ Florence Henderson?!!? Holy cow. That merits at least an honorable mention right there -- if not the entire enchilada.

It seems this topic has become "List 5 bands you've seen that are musically diverse within themselves and then list other cool bands you've seen" so I'll play on that premise.

1. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - seen them twice and they were amazing both times. What really blew me away is that the second time I saw them they had improved as musicians! I couldn't believe that was possible!

2. Medeski, Martin and Wood - Billy Martin stole the show, one of the most incredible drummers I've ever seen (and I've seen Neil Peart) The first set they were really playing with the math. It was so avant garde is was anti-groove. The second set was the exact opposite they drove it so deep into the pocket lint you had to wear a dust mask to breathe!

3. Yes - Saw them on the 90125 tour. It was a shame Steve Howe wasn't with them but they played songs from across their whole catalog. Prog rock heaven!

4. Jethro Tull - Stormwatch tour. This concert was a reveltion in several ways the first being the sound. It was the first live rock show that had crystal clear hi-fi sound I could hear every note every instrument played and the volume level was perfect, loud like a rock concert should be but not deafening. The second was that even though it was a terribly small audience for the venue they played like they were in front of a full house. I realized then that no matter what the size of the audience always strive to deliver the best show you can everytime.

5. Experimental Music performance - A trio came to the local university (Texas Tech) and did a performance that used inprovised and prepared instruments combined with a visual element of slides and bits of film. It's hard to describe but it was facinating and very rhythmic and musical yet did not utilize traditional musical form or methodology.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

It seems this topic has become "List 5 bands you've seen that are musically diverse within themselves...

Speaking of which, I haven't seen these guys, but check out this new genre my son just turned me on to: Gangstagrass (The interesting part kicks in at about 0:26.)

...and then list other cool bands you've seen" so I'll play on that premise.

Happy to have you contribute on that basis as well, Happi. Your descriptions of these shows are just great.

Isn't this a bit easy? I like Jeremy's variation.

Yeah, Phil. I was thinking we need to open a separate category for people who have actually played with the acts on their list.

On to the "Other cool bands"....

Medeski, Martin & Wood - Best free show ever! Thanks Central Park Summer Stage for just being you.

Black Sabbath - The original lineup. Ozzy is an incredible front man and this band has a groove to it that other metal bands have never been able to comprehend.

King Crimson - An incredible display of technical prowess...even if Mr. Fripp feels the need to sit in a darkened corner of the stage, Adrian Belew makes up for that in spades. Alas, this was a show sans Tony Levin & Bill Bruford, but Trey Gunn & Pat Mastolotto were amazing. And as an opener...John Paul Jones with an absolutely incredible band!

Dread Zeppelin - Add one part Led Zeppelin covers to two parts reggae and top it with an overweight Elvis impersonator. The end result is an awesome show.

Mr Bungle - How about an entire night where every song goes through at least 3 stylistic changes? AND the musicianship is amazing, too. That's a Mr Bungle show. They really need to get back together.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

3. Yes - Saw them on the 90125 tour.

Flushing Meadow, Queens. They opened with "Cinema", then "Leave It". I was floored by the richness of Jon Anderson's voice when he came in on the second verse of "Leave It".

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

How about five shows in which forum members played?

tnb playing in the pit orchestra of a musical

Wally Malone playing with Lady Bo

Davio playing with the New Phil orchestra

Captain Cutthroat (Kevin) with Captain Cutthroat

Steve Lawson solo and with Lobelia.

Now that he is married to Lobelia and I think they have a child, he has stopped posting.

Archived