Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Five most diverse musical acts you've seen

Groove Mama

The five most diverse musical acts I have actually played with:

Jimmy McCracklin

The MC5

Woody Shaw

SF 49ers Band

Florence Henderson

OK. That's hard to beat right there.

"Kick out the jams Mrs. Brady!"

Yeah, Jeremy's always pulling crap like that. "I was talking to Woody Allen the other day and we both agreed that we hate namedroppers..." I vote that J.'s entry be disqualified because the category is diverse acts you've seen. ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cowsills

Son Seals

Jean Pierre Rampal

David Lindley and El Rayo-X

Kodo Drummers (also)

This is representative, but it doesn't seem odd. I've also seen Stevie Wonder, Jim Hall, Carole Bayer Sager, The Everly Brothers (got to meet and talk with them), Carole Channing, Laurie Anderson...I went to a party in Newport, RI, one time that Ronnie Wood was at. (Another time ask me about the time I had dinner with Alan Dershowitz.)

I've also seen Carole Channing, Laurie Anderson...
Now there's a duet I'd like to hear.

(Another time ask me about the time I had dinner with Alan Dershowitz.)
Alan Dershowitz? What instrument does he play? :)

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I'm probably the youngest one here, and I don't really go outside the realm of hardcore and metal when it comes to live music, but here goes:

Knife the Glitter - Not a fan, but a very interesting band nonetheless. Had a bassist playing a six with distortion and the guitarist was playing a seven. Both acted as lead guitar, really.

Cynic - Incredible, mind-blowing, pioneers of jazz and metal fusion. Their bassist (not touring bassist) Sean Malone is a music professor and has released a couple of books on Jaco, if I'm not mistaken. 1993's Focus is a classic that many of you would probably like.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Like getting beaten over the head with a club in music form. The most intense live show I've ever seen, seeing them for the third time in a couple of weeks with the incredible Animals as Leaders. Mike Patton did vocals for them on one EP, if that would help you all to check them out.

Between the Buried and Me - Check them out. All I can tell you. My number one favorite band, seen them eight times. Dan Briggs is one of the most tasteful bass players in modern metal, and my all time favorite.

As for the fifth spot, I'll just list a couple of other acts who I've had the pleasure of seeing: Victor Wooten with Stanley and Marcus, solo once, The Number Twelve Looks Like You (RIP), Animosity (RIP), Necrophagist , HORSE the Band, etc.

Toots Thielmanns in NY

Mahavishnu Orchestra in NJ

a Fado music festival in Connecticut(Portuguese)

an 'Old Harp' hymn-singing festival at the Enon Primitive Baptist Church in Enon, Mississippi (supper afterwards at the tables outside)

Forebitter (sea shanties) in Connecticut

-

Most diverse bands/performers?

The Bedlam Boys (Traditional Irish jigs and reels)

the Flemtones ('Classic' rock)

Mary Wilson & The Marvelettes (same bill - backing band)

Eddit Brigati (Rascals) - backing band & backup vox

Dapper Dans of Harmony (barbershop quartet) - once - I loved it!

Play. Just play.

My response won't measure up to others' but I'll give it a shot:

Al Di Meola New World Sinfonia (Gumbi Ortiz can play a Hungarian water pot like nobody's business!)

Riders In The Sky (in a children's performance, no less)

Kings X

Bill Bruford's Earthworks

Neil Diamond

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

My response won't measure up to others' but I'll give it a shot:

Al Di Meola New World Sinfonia (Gumbi Ortiz can play a Hungarian water pot like nobody's business!)

Riders In The Sky (in a children's performance, no less)

Kings X

Bill Bruford's Earthworks

Neil Diamond

Watta you, kidding? It measures, it measures!

(Another time ask me about the time I had dinner with Alan Dershowitz.)
Alan Dershowitz? What instrument does he play? :)
Juries!
Good one, Chad. I was trying to come up with something equally clever, but, alas, I could not.

Status Quo (my first ever concert in 1979)

Art Blakey

Die toten Hosen (= "The Dead Trousers", a German Punk band)

Eagles

Tower of Power

For sale: Hot Wire 5-string fretless, rosewood fretboard, tobacco sunburst, J-Retro Deluxe

I've got very little in diverse acts I've seen.

Forumites that I've seen - that's somewhere I can go. And I haven't seen anyone in over a year....

BenLoy - with a previous band and sitting in with friends. Still looking to catch him in the Dave Matthews tribute band

Maury - in a few bands

Bear Jew - saw two ex-bands live and sang on one track with one ex-band

Willie - the aquaboogie was great both times

Ken Hashimoto (music-man - doesn't post any more) - many times on cello, once on bass

The Fonz (doesn't post any more) - once

Dan (57pbass) - many times, and sat in a number of times

Special thanks to Willie, Maury, and Dan who came to see Stonefly, and rizzo who saw me play with the Christian theatre group at St Johns U. (sorry if I left anyone out..)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I've got very little in diverse acts I've seen.

Forumites that I've seen - that's somewhere I can go.

I love the detours this thread has taken!

So should we close the competition now and go to the polls?

Pls vote for your fave list -- based on any criteria your heart desires.

The five most diverse musical acts I have actually played with:

Jimmy McCracklin

The MC5

Woody Shaw

SF 49ers Band

Florence Henderson

I think Jeremy wins walking away.

Push the button Frank.

Never actually saw them perform but I used to work at a law firm in Boston that represented New Kids On The Block. Every week the youngest one, Joey (widely acknowledged at that time to be a little creep), would come in for tutoring, since he wasn't in school. Since I was but the lowly law clerk and always in early I was usually the one to let him in.

I know this is a slight deviation from the topic, but, oh, well...

Okay - I'm new here, but when I saw the subject I couldn't pass up the opportunity. The five most diverse acts I've seen are:

Willie Dixon - saw/met in Omaha with a friend who worked at KRCB. I got an advance vinyl copy of "I Am The Blues"

Bela Fleck and The Flecktones with Alash - I've seen these guys so many times, but this last time in Kalamazoo was simply amazing!!!

David Bowie with Nine Inch Nails and Prick - at the Palace of Auburn Hills. A great place for an unusual lineup including Reeves Gabrels on guitar.

Sandy Patty - what can I say? You wanted Diverse!

Elton John with Frampton's Camel - before he "came alive" Peter Frampton was booed off the stage as an opening act early in Elton John's career.

I've got about another hundred or so more of these - from Al DiMeola with Jan Hammer to Tori Amos, Marshall Crenshaw, Peter Yarrow(along with dinner at IHOP after the show), and yes - The Detroit Symphony Orchestra Fourth Of July show at Meadowbrook performing the 1812 Overture, complete with cannons! It's just hard to decide which are the most diverse, after all, music is music. Who would have thought of Bettye LaVette performing The Who or The Rolling Stones?

Welcome!

Sandy Patty...
Sandy Patti has an extraordinary voice. I was always ashamed of the evangelical community that essentially "shunned" her when she divorced some years ago. "He who is without sin..." I guess she's doing o.k. now.

End of hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your support and thanks to Funkslap Mama for running this "contest".

I won the hat. Here it is with me under it:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/batavia.bulldogs.jpg

To see a list of selected unusual shows that I have played and some of the many shows I've been to (over the last 45 years):

clickety click

Thanks for your support and thanks to Funkslap Mama for running this "contest".

I won the hat. Here it is with me under it:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/batavia.bulldogs.jpg

To see a list of selected unusual shows that I have played and some of the many shows I've been to (over the last 45 years):

clickety click

It looks great on ya, Jeremy! Congratulations on winning the contest. And also many thanks for serving as a combo high priest/elder statesman here. We all benefit from your generous sharing of musical wisdom and experience. You bring a lot to this forum, and it wouldn't be the same without you!

Now, go Dawgs!!! http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/nhopp/Bulldog.jpg

Archived