Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The S90ES Piano Sucks

Joe Muscara

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think the previous poster would debate that; in fact, Roys sound is what that poster is criticizing as being held as the bar. I wouldnt hold it as the bar for piano sound, but I certainly dont have any problems with it. The problems described by that poster are pretty common in all instruments. Everyone seems to think that if an EQ is involved, its time for the smiley face. Fail. Hear with your EARS, not your eyes EQers! (Guitar players, bassists, sound men, they all do itand its just plain wrong.)

As for keyboardists amp rigs and the Roy Bittan sound, the poster missed the point of the thread, which was through a PA, the S90es piano blew. Onstage monitoring is one thing, but when PA is involved, unless that onstage monitoring is affecting the mix out front (either because its too loud, or dictates what the FOH can do with it), what it sounds like is irrelevant.

Back to the point of the thread..

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Maybe the good ol' 80s "Layering" trick can be of benefit, this is a S90 (not ES) mixed with a Kurzweil PC3 (sound of my own, the Yamaha probably standard piano sound '1'):

http://www.theover.org/Kurz/pialay1.mp3

Although it seems that nowadays certain people are a bit taken aback by actually *working* musical sounds...

The technology sure could make more of those.

Theo Verelst

-------------------------------------------------

"Could you be,

could you be,

could you be loved?

Say something!

Don't let them fool you.."

-- Bob Marley

Maybe the good ol' 80s "Layering" trick can be of benefit.....

Excellent point. I was largely dissatisfied with the K2600 piano so I MIDIed it with just a touch of a piano in my Korg Triton module, and it really brought the piano to life! I've heard of others MIDIing the S90 piano with a CP-70 patch from the Electro with favorable results. Eric?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I used to layer my MKS20 with Kurzweil's micropiano; I liked those results. I sometimes layer Motif's Natural Grand with Fantom's Warm Piano for similar results.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived