Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

I am curious of what the Raider fans think of Cable being let go.

It's pretty weird. But that's life in Al Davis Land.

I never thought Cable was a really great coach, but he did seem to have things headed in a good direction. My guess is that the Raiders are going to hire Hue Jackson as HC, which could be good, but it's not a known entity at this point. The Raiders themselves seem to not be very happy with Cable being let go.

Not that I have any say in it, but my only advice to the next HC is to stick with Campbell as QB. If the Raiders had a fault this year that cost them games, it was the indecisiveness between Campbell and Gradkowski at QB. Campbell seems to have his rhythm now, and I think they can be a playoff team next year under the right coach.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coaching carousel continues to swirl. I was surprised that Cable got fired and that Lewis is safe.

Sudden death OT with the first team scoring by any means made sense to me.

It will be interesting to see how this rule change affects the outcome of games. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What happens if a safety is scored in OT?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What happens if a safety is scored in OT?
Don't confuse the matter further Joe. Obviously though, it would be the seventh sign if someone won by 2 in overtime. The NFL would suck titanically, and it would be seriously unfair. :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

In Texas/Texans football news,

1. The Texans have hired Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator. I think the big winner here is attitude. If anything, they will do better due to optimism and belief. But I think Wade will make better things happen on that side of the ball.

2. Bud Adams has basically said, "VY is not my guy after all" and will no longer be part of the Titans roster. I wonder where he will go. I hope whoever picks him up helps him to grow up, which is something he seems to need.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That last line was about VY, not Bud Adams. I don't care if he grows up.

Judging by the articles I've read, he's considering it.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/titans-will-send-vince-young-packing-1166645.html

"We have two critical decisions to make, the direction of the coaching staff and the future at the quarterback position. They are separate issues to me and will be dealt with separately," Adams said.

He shoulda dumped Fisher too...

I don't see that, frankly. Fisher has always made the most of what he was given. For 5 years now, he's had the mediocre Kerry Collins and little else to work with at QB. He finally got VY to grow up enough to start, and the kid got a huge head and regressed into a tantrum-throwing toddler. You can't hang that on him. Some kids just don't ever grow up.

I think Fisher is a good coach. Its been pointed out that he never won the SB, but that can be said about a lot of coaches. He has done well when he had better players. Players play and Coaches coach. Coaches can't go out on the field and make the plays. And, a coach never forgets "how to coach".

I heard an interesting thing on Mike and Mike this morning. Greenie said that he "heard around the halls" of ESPN that "New England is the WORST 14-2 team, ever". I can't agree with that statement. They've only lost to the Jets early in the season, whom they dismantled recently, and lost to the Browns when they were asleep at the wheel (for some reason). Unlike my Steelers, the Patriots have beating a number of Division Champions, and have destroyed at least 3 of them recently. As in "No Contest".

Greenie believes this is Hoodie's best coaching job of his career. I don't know about that, to me, he's always been a good coach, even when he had the Cleveland job.

I think that anything other than a NE win in the SB would have to be a major, very major upset. Who's better than them?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The reason NE is being referred to as the "worst 14-2 team ever" is because the folks at ESPN can't see past the numbers:

Offense: 8th (overall), 11th (pass), 9th (rush)

Defense: 25th (overall), 30th (pass), 11th (rush)

Of course, where it really matters (this is a familiar refrain for those of you who recall me defending the SB champ Pats in '04 and '05)

Scoring offense: 1st

Scoring defense: 8th

Turnover differential: +27 - next closest is Atlanta at +14.

When you score a lot, don't give up a lot of points, and win the turnover battle, none of the other statistics matter.

I'm a bit perplexed at the perception of "some" of the people at ESPN concerning that statement about NE. Statistics don't matter. 14-2 against all comers is the bottom line.

Depending on what the odds-makers give for the SB, I'll be betting NE.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Current odds:

13-10 on the Pats

5-1 each on the Falcons and Steelers

10-1 on the Bears and Packers

12-1 on the Saints and Eagles

15-1 on the Ravens

18-1 on the Colts

25-1 on the Jets

40-1 on the Chiefs

150-1 on the Seahawks (let's see if steady has the stones to put up a C-note on that bet....)

Yeah, a good QB would help. A few years ago they had a great season only to lose to the Ravens in a mistake prone game that blew their chances to win the SB.

I hadn't checked the results of Fisher's coaching record with the Titans, but I do think he's a good coach, all things considered.

5 to 1 odds on the Falcons or the Steelers? Neither one of those teams have me convinced they are Championship material.

The Super Bowl might end up being the Boring Bowl if New England plays its usual game. It might be a case of "get there early" or miss the game, or what there is of it.

I've been know to blow smoke on occasion ;) and sometimes out one of my lower extremities as well :facepalm::D , but I think NE is a good team that will get even better.

Cheers,

Mike T.

The Early History of Football's Forward Pass

I thought this was really interesting. Football has always looked the same when I saw it, and even when I've seen old footage I thought it looked the same, but the game changed a lot in its early days.

If the Patsies get the early lead they can stick to their game plan which is forcing the opposing team out of their game plan to execute some riskier plays leading to TOs to the opportunistic Pats 'D'.

Down 10 pts in the first half opposing coaches try to stop the bleeding and usually make it worse with either a TO or poor execution on a 4th down attempt.

17 pts down and the Pats Defense can plays a loose prevent 'D' and wait for the inevitable dumb throw and frustration penalties.

Pats/Steelers and New Orleans/Philly I think. I haven't bought into Addai as a game changer or Atlanta in the NFC Championship game.

Archived