Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

I only watched the first half of the Jets-Pats game. It was going the Pats way so I bailed. After watching the gift the Steelers got from the Titans, I thought there was no more good karma coming my way, as in the Jets beating the Pats. Oh well, I missed the Patriots getting their buts kicked, which is always enjoyable! Still, I believe the Patriots will be OK, they should be in the playoff hunt this season, baring any big injuries.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch the video on this page and tell me this won't be the most fun you've had anticipating a MNF game in a long time!! The carnage starts at about 1:20 in.

Singletary Interview

Personally I can't wait for Tues morning, because if the Niners somehow lose, on Tues Singletary is going to cut the entire team!! Then make himself run spints!!

TROLL . . . ish.

OMG - he may be the funniest coach in the NFL right now (even if it's not intentional). I think the real Mike Singletary is funnier than the spoof they did a few times on Letterman.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Watch the video on this page and tell me this won't be the most fun you've had anticipating a MNF game in a long time!! The carnage starts at about 1:20 in.

Singletary Interview

Personally I can't wait for Tues morning, because if the Niners somehow lose, on Tues Singletary is going to cut the entire team!! Then make himself run spints!!

This is almost as funny as Dennis Green's meltdown concerning the Bears.

I guess I have to bring up the fact that our new starting QB lasted all of six quarters before being benched. I was kind of hopeful about Campbell, but that's dwindling quickly. Nothing against Bruce Gradkowski, and he played fairly well against the Lambs yesterday, but if he was going to be a guy who could lead a team, he would have done so already.

Raiders play the Cardinals next week. We'll see who starts.

That real version makes this "interview" all the more funny. ("All the more funny"? Something's not... anyway...).

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGfueEHj1Ks

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I hope he's got good blood pressure meds.

In the meantime, his Niners are making a respectable showing against the Super Bowl champs, down by just two points at the half.

Coach Singletary may have his flaws, and I can understand why he's the subject of parodies. That said, I can also see how he could be an inspiring man to play for:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMyEhKO8dg

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Coach Singletary may have his flaws, and I can understand why he's the subject of parodies. That said, I can also see how he could be an inspiring man to play for:

You got that right Geoff.. he may be funny, but he's far from a clown!

I vividly remember footage of him coaching up db's at the senior bowl a few years back. I'd never seen anything like it. He really does bring out he best of whatever a kid has inside of him. Handling media on the other hand, is his personal area for growth.

TROLL . . . ish.

Well put, meccajay. :cool:

And you were the only one of us who picked SF to beat the spread. Well done, my friend! :thu:

Too bad they left New Orleans enough time to come back. We very nearly had an overtime game.

Final score: New Orleans 25, San Francisco 22

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Geoff Grace:

Okay, but when do you predict the Saints will come marching in?

And do you want to be in that number or not?

Best,

Geoff

Geoff ole buddy, I think you need NEW material. ;)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

worst result for me, I picked NO to win, but SF is my team...so they lost, but covered the spread...double loss for me :(

at least alex smith looked like a qb for a change...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback -- Week 2

Welcome back to the Cornerback. As I sit here cranking the new Neil Young/Daniel Lanois collaboration, it makes for an odd soundtrack to talk about the week in NFL, but I'll accept whatever is inspirational at the moment.

Pick 'Em Pool

There was only one push in week 2, which is about average, so I'm throwing away my conspiracy theories from week one. Regardless, based on the point spreads, only five of the sixteen games were won by the favored team, which resulted in most of us having pretty mediocre weeks in the Pick 'Em pool. Our newcomer Saku managed to grab the top spot with seven wins, while Mid Life Crisis, dB, griffinator, and Jay all snagged six points. Jay deserves some special acknowledgement for being the only one of us to pick the Niners over the Saints, and won on points (and really could have won that game outright, surprisingly).

Continuing our week of "meh", kanker, Geoff Grace, ProfD, me (jeffk_nfl2010), Magpel, and richwhite9 all pulled together a pretty unimpressive five points, while antimatter ended up with just four. It's still pretty early to be making overall assessments, but it's starting to feel like one of those years where old regimes are toppling and teams you figured as perennial losers are starting to suck less. Might make for more interesting games over the course of the year... along with pretty bad picks for we poolers.

Survival Pool

We started this week with 11 contestants, and ended with eight. MidLifeCrisis had the saddest loss; he didn't make a pick, and was automatically DQ'ed. ProfD went for what seemed to be a pretty safe pick, but New England played terribly against the Jets. It happens. TinderArts had picked Baltimore over Cincy, and was sadly beaten by five field goals... a terrible way to lose a game, in my opinion.

The obvious high confidence team in week 2 was the Packers... Mark Zeger, NoahZark, Antimatter, me, and Magpel all took them. A small round of applause for Shaka40 for having barely escaped with Philly's win over Detroit (same goes to Griffinator, who probably sweat a few bullets while SF nearly came back against NO). But our Massive Balls award of the week goes to BlackandWhite for picking the Oakland Freakin' Raiders. I don't care that they were playing the Rams at home; betting anything on a team run by Al Davis at this point takes cojones the size of grapefruits.

That's it for this week! Best of luck to you all in Week 3 and beyond!

Props to Jeff for another Cornerback recap. Brilliant thing you've come up with there mayne. :thu:

Despite the NFL parity, I'm keeping hope alive that I'll have a perfect week before the season is done. :laugh:

Seriously, the match-ups and the proverbial "any given Sunday" make the picks interesting.

As a result, I can accept going down in flames in Survivor to the J-E-T-S. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Of the 5 worst AFC teams of the last decade 2 are keeping up the tradition - Buffalo and Cleveland.

Oakland at 1-1 isn't impressive sneaking past an 0-2 St Louis Team. Houston isn't a surprise as they turned around the program and Kansas City? We've seen this first act before in the 90s.

On the NFC side Detroit is Detroit and there are a few perennial losers heading for some big games this weekend.

There are a few one hit wonders in this early crowd of pretenders. I prefer to think of week 2 as an American Idol affair. The real Sanjay will stand up.

I'm certainly not making any predictions of immediate greatness for Oakland or KC. Houston is undeniably improved and it's becoming apparent. But the past few years of New England, Indianapolis, and a few others dominating while 5-6 teams stay at the bottom of the barrel is headed for a change.

Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback -- Week 2

It's still pretty early to be making overall assessments, but it's starting to feel like one of those years where old regimes are toppling and teams you figured as perennial losers are starting to suck less. Might make for more interesting games over the course of the year... along with pretty bad picks for we poolers.

Yessir, the pool has a difficulty level of 9.8 right now that teams like The Chief's, the Buccaneers, and Texans have suddenly learned how to win.

You can technically put the Lions in that catagory as well, because they're coming way to close to winning to trust the spread. I've been pretty lucky picking them the last 2 weeks, but Vegas is going to catch up to them shortly, and then picking them will catch up to me. :(

TROLL . . . ish.

Vick named Eagles starting QB

Wow. Reid did the right thing. I'm shocked.

The over/under on Reid getting fired mid-season was at about 9 games, so I think he really had to do something or face the unemployment line. I'm still not a fan of Vick the person (and probably never will be), but keeping him as the backup was ridiculous. If you have a better guy on your team, you have to start him, regardless of anything else.

This has been a really bad season for UH QBs, past and present. :(

Kolb needs to sit. Concussions are not something to dismiss. Vick played well and as a team they have to go with the hot hand and quick legs. Reid has to put the best players on the field so that means Vick will play.

Mike T.

But our Massive Balls award of the week goes to BlackandWhite for picking the Oakland Freakin' Raiders.

Why, thank you, Jeff, for bestowing the "MBA" on me. :laugh:

I would have prefered seeing JC lead the winning offense, but I'll take the W.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

I just listened to ESPN all night and the story is that when the Eagles staff came back and watched the game film, they could see that their Offensive line was not doing the job of protecting Kolb. They decided that it would be better to play Vick because he can run too. I don't know if this is BS, but that's what I just heard on ESPN radio.

Vick can play and they need to play who gives them the best chance of winning. His passing looked pretty good too. Add in his ability to run, that gives the opposing Defense fits.

Cheers,

Mike T.

They decided that it would be better to play Vick because he can run too. I don't know if this is BS, but that's what I just heard on ESPN radio.

Well, that's kind of shitty reasoning. As opposed to fixing the O-line, they put in the guy that can run away when it inevitably collapses?

I actually think it makes sense for the time being, but it's a backassward approach.

Well Jeff, I don't know what they can do to fix the O line now, the season has started and they will have to play who they have. Anyway, the Steelers managed to win two SB with poor Offensive lines and a QB that is 250 lbs and difficult to bring down before he gets a pass off. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Either way, the cat doesn't like it. ;)

Mike T.

Archived