Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

Maroney is better than his numbers. His style of running just didn't quite mesh with the Pats' method of running by committee. He'll do well on a team where he can get 20 or so touches per game.

His problem is he avoids contact - but he's not fast enough to avoid contact. He wants to be Barry Sanders - but he doesn't have the legs.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another inexplicable one is Geoff having chosen SF on the road in week one. Seattle, as wishy washy as they can be, are a strong home team with a good crowd.

I hesitated for a moment because of Seattle's home crowd. But that said, I picked the Niners because I expected them to own the division (What can I say? I'm a Mike Singletary fan), they were undefeated in preseason (yeah, I know), they had beaten Seattle in 7 out of their last 10 meetings, and I figured it would take the Seahawks awhile to adjust to Pete Carroll as head coach.

But as we know, I was wrong.

Geoff Grace had a strong start, and was the only one of us ballsy enough to take Houston over Indy (I still don't know how he pulled that off), ending with 9 points.

No balls, just stats. Every year, I tell myself to pick against the previous year's Super Bowl loser in the opening week of the Survival pool; and every year, I chicken out. This year was no different, but at least I had the sense to make that choice in the Pick'em pool.

Ten of the last 12 Super Bowl losers have lost their following season openers. The two that didn't were the least surprising: New England, which went 18-1 the year before and Seattle, which lost the Super Bowl the year before in part, if not in whole, due to bad officiating. If you look at those stats, it made sense to pick against Indianapolis last week.

BTW - dig the recap :thu:

+1 :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

by Kanker:

With out Big Bonehead AND Leftwich. Thought it was a gimme....

So did me and a lot of other Steelers fans. Big Bonehead is an appropriate nickname for Rottenburger Kevin, he's not real popular in Pittsburgh. We don't like drug dealers, crackheads, and rapists on the Steelers roster. There is a team in Ohio that takes those players. If Rottenburger wasn't already given a huge signing bonus, the Steelers would have dumped him, SB titles not withstanding.

Maybe Atlanta isn't as good as I thought they were going to be because the Steelers weren't lighting it up either. The Steelers are great at winning ugly. :sick::cry:

The Steelers play the Titans this week, and after a visit to Tampa Bay, the Ravens are planning on chewing us up. The Ravens would probably be satisfied to win 3-0 provided they can dish out the kind of punishment that Ray Lewis put on Keller of the Jets.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

One more iconic play for Ray-Ray's Canton highlight reel.

Will that get inserted before or after the footage of him gakking that drug dealer? :D

Never saw that one.. Linky me.

Work with me here, man. It was a joke. :D

Dang, sorry bro.. Thought I'd missed something on TMZ. :)

TROLL . . . ish.

Geoff Grace had a strong start, and was the only one of us ballsy enough to take Houston over Indy (I still don't know how he pulled that off), ending with 9 points.

No balls, just stats. Every year, I tell myself to pick against the previous year's Super Bowl loser in the opening week of the Survival pool; and every year, I chicken out. This year was no different, but at least I had the sense to make that choice in the Pick'em pool.

Ahhhhh! Now that's impressive. :thu:

Work with me here, man. It was a joke. :D

Dang, sorry bro.. Thought I'd missed something on TMZ. :)

Nah, you remember the incident where he artfully dodged prison time by flipping, don't you?

Yeah, I'm very familiar with that case, it was all here in Atlanta.. I'd thought of that, but you'd mentioned footage, so you threw me off..

Tell ya what, if he's presented to the hall by Mike Tirico from ESPN, then bet your bottom dollar there's going to be as many "personal life negative's" mentioned as there are "on-field positive's". ;):laugh::o:confused:

TROLL . . . ish.

Oddly enough, it was dB himself who told me time and time again that since the pool almost never lasts very long, one should feel okay about picking some top-notch choices at the start, rather than saving them for later in the season. So what did he do? Took Dallas over Washington! I'd say that was by no means a "gimme", especially with a new season and new personnel involved on both teams. !

:confused::rolleyes:

Not that much new personnel on Dallas, and they've been most of the pundits' go-to team to win the NFC East if not the conference going in to the season...or did you manage to somehow miss all that talk about them playing in their own stadium for this years Super Bowl?

Dude...it's not like the 'skins killed them. Tishard Choice made a boneheaded play at the end of the first half, which proved to be the difference in the game. Washington only scored two field goals besides that. :idea:

...and Dallas still almost won the game on the last play if not for the holding call. :poke:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

There were at least four higher-probability choices there.
Mmmmm...not by much. The biggest spread was 6.5 (Chicago/Detroit...which was a loser on the points if you picked Chicago). There was talk that it was the closest opening weekend in many years...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Report is Michael Vick will be the starting QB this weekend. I hope does well. But, if the team wins with him, Kolb and Reid will have a tough row to hoe in Philly. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Vick must have been working out a lot in the off-season. He looked like the Michael Vick we remember that played in Atlanta. Once Philly made the decision to trade McNabb, they knew that Vick would be playing again while they break in Kolb. He didn't play all that well while he was in the game, and now with a concussion to sit him on the bench, its Vicks turn.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Pittsburgh is playing AT the Titans this week. I do believe the Steelers will get a spanking. The Titans believe that they have had a better team than Pittsburgh the last couple of years and got short sheeted two years ago when injuries prevented them from getting to the SB. Of course, they had the misfortune of playing the Ravens, one of the nastiest defenses that any other team can run into when they are not firing on all cylinders.

The Titans would love to repay the Steelers for getting the SB Title that they felt was theirs to lose, which they did.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Report is Michael Vick will be the starting QB this weekend. I hope does well. But, if the team wins with him, Kolb and Reid will have a tough row to hoe in Philly. :cool:

Well if Vick does do well, it will either be a miracle, or one hell of an effort from Vick, because his boneheaded HC Andy Reid will do everything possible to sabotage his success!

Just look at the 4th and 1 last week...

During the game, the Eagles lost there starting center Jamaal Jackson, and starting fullback Leonard Weaver. So this means they are week in the middle, right? Right. So what call does Andy Reid make on the 4th & 1? QB draw right up the middle! :mad::crazy:

Not only that but the kid Clay Mathews had been killing them all day, and already knocked out Kevin Kolb, and they choose to run right at him! Yes, Vick was great, but it didn't take a genius to realize the reason he was successful was because he ran around Mathews, cause he was not goin thru him.

I wish the best for Kevin Kolb, I wish the best for Vick, but I can no longer cheer for stupidity.

TROLL . . . ish.

Speaking of gambling...

Bad news for Packers fans:

Ryan Grant's season is over

I was surprised at first to learn that the Packers were the only double digit favorites this week, in spite of losing Ryan Grant.

I guess it says something about the era we're in and the fact that teams are starting to spread backfield duties around more. The loss of a star running back ain't what it used to be.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Running backs are more of an interchangeable part than say, a quarter back. Running backs don't draft as high as they once did either. More often than not, running backs hit their peak performance level by age 28. There have been exceptions, the exceptions are usually very committed players to staying in great physical condition, and being able to avoid a lot of unnecessary hits. Typically, the NFL stands for "Not For Long".

I love football season!

Mike T.

There were 16 RBs aged 29 and older starting the season who had 60 carries or better last season.

Half of them are Patriots (Faulk, Morris, Taylor)

Name ---- Team ---- Age ---- Carries

B Westbrook SF 31 61

Kevin Faulk  NE 34 62

Fred Taylor  NE 34 63

Rock Cartwright OAK 30 64

Sammy Morris  NE 33 73

Maurice Morris DET 30 93

Chester Taylor CHI 30 93

Derrick Ward HOU 30 115

C Buckhalter DEN 31 120

Clinton Portis WAS 29 124

Julius Jones SEA 29 177

Larry Johnson WAS 30 178

L Tomlinson NYJ 31 223

Fred Jackson BUF 29 238

Ricky Williams  MIA 33 241

Thomas Jones KC 32 332

There are another 13 in total sitting at the end of benches.

It's no country for old men.

Pittsburgh is playing AT the Titans this week. I do believe the Steelers will get a spanking.

Not gonna happen..

Fact is, the Steelers field a better team than we do. We play you tough, but rarely if ever play better these days.

Today, Polamalu will own Vince Young, Harrison and Woodley will stalemate Chris Johnson, and although your newbie at QB will be challenged by the Titans D and make mistakes, he won't make nearly the number of mistakes needed for the Titans to beat the Steelers.

I'll conceed a victory for Pittsburgh, I'll even conceed Chris Johnson's 100yrd game streak, which I really have been enjoying. All I can ask is that you don't hurt CJ. Please. Watching CJ is one of the few remaining joy's I have in this man's NFL.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived