Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Second KB, Always a fun question

Fusker

Okay - Here we go.

I have an XS8 as my primary rig and love it.

When I purchased it, I wasn't thinking of gigging, more along the lines of a long-needed instrument at home with a ton of features I love. Well, turns out I'm gigging and rehearsing a lot...and well, she's a beast to lug to practice. So I want to get a second KB now that I can transport solo, will compliment my XS8 when I haul both to a gig, and will stand on its own for practice. I'd best describe the music I play as funky/blueish/rock.

I have the ok to drop up to a $2k in the next few months, but of course less is always better. I'm sold on the concept of 73 keys as these KB's tend to be lighter and I like the action for organ work. I've been leaning heavy towards an Electro 3 73, but have noticed the Korg M50 for like $800 less. Also been eyeing the SV-1.

Any thoughts?

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The XS 7 is a solid option. The S70XS - another great 'board with lots of performance features - is lighter than the XS8, but does have weighted keys. Also, the Kurzweil PC3, or forthcoming PC3 LE7 are definitely ones to check out. If a dual keyboard situation ever came up, the PC3 / XS combination is powerful, and versatile.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I think you've already answered your own question.

SInce you have the rompler stuff covered well in the XS8, why would you need an M50 or even worse, another XS with fewer keys?

The E3 will certainly round out the one of the biggest issues with the XS and that's the Hammond patches. Same goes for the M50, SV1, anything from Kurzweil, or virtually all the other comers when it comes to Hammond emulation. While good, they're no match for a dedicated clonewheel. Add to that, the killer rhodes and clav sounds that the E3 brings (and the organ action) and you're there.

Given your musical stylings (funky/bluish/rock), the XS8/NE3 combo would be killer. If you want to spend $800 less, buy an NE2.

YMMV

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I'm sold on the concept of 73 keys as these KB's tend to be lighter and I like the action for organ work.

Any thoughts?

That said i would suggest a Nord Compatc 73. Light, great hammond/wurli/clav/rhodes, a more-than-passable synth machine and easy to set.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

A few years ago I was gigging with my Kurz and a Yamaha S03 up top.

A Yamaha S08 came along and I thought: "wouldn't it be great to have an S08 down bottom (88 keys, fully weighted) and the S03 up top?!"

Stupid stupid idea. Of course, I had the same sounds in both packages, and shortcomings in some areas.

Get something that meets your needs AND augments the lower board. Electro 2 73 would fit the bill nicely. B3, Rhodes, EP, Acoustic Piano, Clav, Wurli... and GREAT versions of those, not some anonymous programmer's idea of what they "might" sound like.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Thanks all!

The NE3 certainly is my initial leaning. Size and sounds wise, seems like a great fit all things considered. Just thought I'd explore options especially if they are $800 less. I have never used an M50 and the closest one is 200 miles away, so not an expert on what it could do, but had a general idea.

I'm also open to any other suggestions that might fit the bill of NE3 price point or less.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

My suggestion would be a used Nord Electro 61 or 73. Cost savings.

Rehearsals in that style of music mainly require B&B (bread and butter) sounds.

On gigs, that same KB serves a 2nd along with the XS8. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Your lacking good organ only having an XS8. NE3 is the winner.

Hmmm, your set-up looks strangely comfortable to me... :laugh:

The Electro does make a good board for practice, small gigs, etc. The piano is disappointing, but tolerable. As a 2nd tier, it rocks.

I'm talking NE2 -- the NE3 piano is supposed to be better. I sure hope so, but too bad about the way they messed up the NE2's excellent UI.

Get something that meets your needs AND augments the lower board. Electro 2 73 would fit the bill nicely. B3, Rhodes, EP, Acoustic Piano, Clav, Wurli... and GREAT versions of those, not some anonymous programmer's idea of what they "might" sound like.
Meh -- the NE2's Rhodes is OK but not "great". I use 3 Rhodes sounds: my own samples, the "suitcase Rhodes" in my old Ensoniq MR76, and the NE2. Compared to either of the others, the NE2 is mushy, gets lost in the mix, and doesn't have the dynamics or sweetness. That's *after* picking the best of NE's Rhodes offerings, and tweaking it to taste.

I'd call it a good Rhodes, but not a great one. Every time I play it, I'm a bit disappointed.

I'd enjoy giving you folks a good A/B comparison. The difference is striking. Maybe some time at the Atlantic KC Hang.

The NE2 might be better played from my weighted keyboard, but for some reason, the NE2 can't hear the MR76's MIDI. One of these days I'll try feeding it through my computer. The MR can hear the NE's MIDI, but that's of no use to me.

Still, I do recommend it highly for the OP's purpose.

BTW, if I had it to do over again, I think I'd get the 60-key, surprisingly enough. Since the low key on the NE is an F, I almost always have it shifted up, wasting a lot of keys at the bottom, and I think I'd rather have the $500 difference in prices that were available to me at the time.

I'm joining the chorus. I am gathering that you don't have the time (we are all busy) to program a PC3 to do it's fireworks tricks. You need the B3.

NE3

Actually the PC3, as a rompler, is dead simple to use; with around 1000 sounds on board, there is no need to go into V.A.S.T. programming - if one doesn't want to. And, if I needed the variety of sounds offered for a one keyboard gig, then the control features and sounds offered by KB3 are simply stronger than the organ patches on the other big brand romplers.

While it will compliment the XS-8, and work well as a lighter standalone 'board, the PC3 may, or may not, be the best choice for your situation. If piano, ep, clav, hammond, and vintage synth sounds will cover the gig, then the Stage Compact may be the best choice to both compliment the XS-8, and work by itself. Clearly, you'd be getting a world class clonewheel, and some very solid additional sounds. I used a Stage 76 for about 2 years on a country/americana gig; it was my 2nd tier keyboard with my S90ES. Now my 2nd tier is a PC3. I think both are great instruments; just different. If there is a store in your area where you can hear both, I'd try to do that. Also, you could try a 73 key SV-1 (I really enjoyed playing the SV-1 at NAMM); but, the control you'd have with organ tones would be rather limited, and not even close to that of the Nord or Kurzweil.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

The NE2 might be better played from my weighted keyboard, but for some reason, the NE2 can't hear the MR76's MIDI.

The Rhodes on the NE2, when being played on the NE2 can be a little mushy, particularly when comping or playing things that require more dynamics.

Midi the NE2 to a good 88 key weighted controller or stage piano (I use the CP33) and it is night and day. Miles ahead from what it is on the NE2 keyboard.

Since the OP doesn't really "need" the Rhodes patches either (since the XS8 has excellent Rhodes), then its really all about the Hammond and to a lesser extent, the Clav.

I'd forgo the 73 and go with the 61 as well. Personally, I use it more for Hammond and there are only 61 keys on a B3 manual anyway. if I do use the Rhodes, I control it with the CP33.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I have an XS7 and my second board is a Classic 6. I would like a more analog board as my #2-the Prophet 08 or even a Nord Lead would fit the bill because the XS covers all the B&B well. The Nord is a great choice IMO.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Fusker:

I was in a very similar situation and ended up getting a 73-key NE3. I couldn't be happier. I no longer have to lug my VERY heavy S90ES (in its flight case) to rehearsals, instead slinging just the lightweight NE3 in a gig bag. And the NE3 makes an awesome top-tier board with my S90ES for gigs. Couldn't be happier with my purchase, in fact (except for the fact that I may need to send the NE3 back to Sweetwater for some service because, as I posted in another thread, one of the keys is having some problems).

Go red. You won't regret it.

Noah

Your lacking good organ only having an XS8. NE3 is the winner.
Hmmm, your set-up looks strangely comfortable to me... :laugh:

Yeah... You get'chu one of those nords, and you might find yourself calling the XS your second keyboard. :D

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

You hit the nail on the head Noah...18 pounds with those great sounds is the real key here, the fact it strengthens my current weaknesses make it a slam dunk. I just wanted to see if the $1300 option was close.

You could be right Mogut!

Thanks all!

Have the E3 73 also and love it. Weighs only about 20 lbs. Sounds like it weighs 50 lbs!

My chronic GAS is now acting up. After playing the E3 73 at NAMM, I'm hoping that - perhaps within a year's time - that there will be a new version of the Stage compact, with the E3 sound engine as its' core (improved and advanced external controller features would be awesome, too...). Stage 2 compact above PC3 = kick ass compact rig. Question is: what the heck do I sell to go 'red', again ? 'Red' is not cheap...

Archived