Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about Farfisa compact or compact duo

KenElevenShadows

Hey, everyone! I'm actually gonna ask a question here. My girlfriend is particularly interested in the early Floyd ('66-'67) Farfisa organ sounds (think "Astronomy Domine" or "See Emily Play"), and wanted to know what you would recommend. Would you recommend the Farfisa Compact or Compact Duo? If it's the Compact Duo, which of the two versions would you recommend?

Or is there something else that would nail that sound spot on?

How much would we expect to spend for something like this on the used market (unless, of course, you're suggesting something new)? Thank you very much.

And by the way, the search function didn't work for me for some reason.

Thanks for your opinions!!!!!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"See Emily Play". . .IMHO it was all downhill for Pink Floyd after that track.

Yes, I do realize that I am in the minority on this one.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

I understand that the Mini-Compacts get more or less the same sound as well, which would be convenient as I don't really need a larger keyboard or even a dual keyboard that the Duo has, although it's not a problem. Thanks for any advice/opinions you may have!

http://www.combo-organ.com/Farfisa/Compact/index.htm#Duo

Mate: Studio / home use only. I forgot to mention that, thanks!

Mark: :D

Noah: I risk the wrath of purists by even asking whether there's something that does a spot-on Farfisa sound, so it's all good!

I would LOVE to have an NE3. It's more about money than anything else. I have an NE2, so if we ended up going that route, I'd probably just sell the NE2, largely due to $cash$ reasons.

Any other comments about the Mini-Compacts or other things that do spot-on emulations of Farfisas? Oh, and she's not interested in having a virtual instrument. Has to be a "hardware" keyboard.

The single most defining characteristic of Farfisa organs is the "booster" tabs, which combined with the knee lever give you that iconic "rip your face off" treble boosted sound (love it or hate it).

My Nord Stage has a Farfisa model which inexplicably omits this. I've tried to emulate it by turning the wah on and setting it to a fixed treble boost, but it's not really the same. I imagine the NE3 uses the same model.

Mini Compacts do have the multi tone booster, so can get mostly the same sounds as bigger ones.

Moe

---

Thanks. I just saw an eBay listing for one that recently sold for about $400, so the Mini Compact might be the way to go. Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated!!!

I had a Farfisa Combo Compact back in '65...that would give you the sound you are looking for. I gigged heavily with the Farfisa for about two years...finally sold it and got a Vox Continental. The Vox sounded great but even doing club gigs where it did not get moved a lot it still had breakdown problems. The Farfisa was rode hard and put away wet for two years...and not once did it fail me. I sold the Vox and got a B3 and two Leslies. Of course I never had a problem with that setup. Just fire it up and cruise.

The single most defining characteristic of Farfisa organs is the "booster" tabs, which combined with the knee lever give you that iconic "rip your face off" treble boosted sound (love it or hate it).

treble boost?

hmmm...

http://imgur.com/lf9gZ.jpg

My first organ around 1965 was Farfisa Mini Compact. Unlike Bluesman, mine was always in the shop so I got to play most of the rest of the Farfisa line as loaners. While one got more keys on the larger models, the Farfisa sound was the same on all.

For that "sound" you don't need anything more than a mini. Mine got traded for a Vox which held up up well until the Hammond got into the picture. Once there, I rarely looked back.

Archived