Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Win7 64-bit DAW?

J. Dan

I know, generally best DAW software depends on user preference, etc. But it seems that when 64-bit OS comes up, Sonar tends to get mentioned as having a good implementation. Are there others that perform well as 64-bit applications, or are most of them really just 32-bit running on a 64-bit OS?

FWIW - my application would be home recording with the need for extensive MIDI editing (beyond something like Pro-Tools).

Getting close to builing my new computer, and I've decided on Win7 64-bit, so as part of my planning, I want to know all the software I'll want to install.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good call - DONE!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm on a Windows 7 machine now that can be dual-booted to either 32 or 64 bit. It is not primarily a DAW, but Sonar 8.5 LE runs on it with no problem. I'm not sure if the low end Sonar is 64-bit software or not.

My primary DAW at the moment is a 3G Pentium 4 with XPSP3, but I found six bad clusters on the C: drive today. I'm doing a full backup of the machine now with the expectation that it will have to be replaced.

Just ordered a "refurbished" HP dc5850 from HP at a VERY attractive price - dual core Athalon and 8G of RAM. I expect to put Windows 7 64 bit on it as the primary OS. I already know that the eMu 1820M on the old DAW will work with 64bit and Win 7, and plan to use this for EWQL Gold pianos and all my other DAW work. I think the machine comes with XP installed and disks for Vista - not sure if they are 64 bit, won't know till the machine arrives. No matter, I have access to all three OS in 64 bit. No point in having 8G of RAM if only 3.2 of it is usable by the OS. Besides, this machine meets the requirements if I want to go to the high end version of EWQL (87G Bosie alone). Both versions of EWQL will run as 64-bit apps.

Windows 7 has been rock-solid for me since late August on this machine. Emulator X, B4, and Pro-52 all run OK on the 64-bit partition of this machine.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

My drummer just had a Dell laptop built with 64 bit Windows 7, and he is using the 64bit Sonar and 64 bit drivers for his firewire interface. It took us a little bit of tweaking, mostly turning off bios features he didn't need, and it's running nicely now.

Live: Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend

Toys: Korg Kronos 2 88, Roland Fantom 08, Nord Lead A1,Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP

www.echoesrocks.com

So far everything I'm hearing is Sonar for 64-bit. I currently have no plugins other than what was bundled with what I have (stock reverb, delay, chorus), so anything I buy, I can be sure is OK with 64bit. Along those lines, are there any holes in the available offerings? I don't require anything special - basic effects - reverb, delay, chorus, eq, compression, maybe some amp emulators, and I'm good. Any virtual instruments I do would likely be of the VA variety, although I've got enough outboard hardware that I have yet to buy a single Soft Synth.

Dan

As to FX, any 32-bit VST or DX plugin will function in a 64-bit environment.

Good to know, thanks. I assume you mean IN the 64-bit environment and not dual boot under 32-bit.

Dan

I checked this morning, the low-end Sonar LE is a 32-bit app - 64 bit versions of Windows install 64 bit apps in \Program Files and 32 bit apps in \Program Files (x86).

Sonar officially supports their product on 64-bit Vista or Windows 7 (but not on XP-64 bit).

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my new 64-bit Windows 7 DAW built and working now. Nice having 8G of RAM available. Not for serious work, but Cantabile now has both 32 and 64 bit versions of their host software, both a paid $129 (more features) version and a free version.

I like the free version, had used the older v1.1 for several years when I just wanted something quick - also a good diagnostic tool when having troubles with the bigger ones.

Total cost of the new box was about $625 including tax and shipping. Dual core Athlon 2600, 8G of RAM, on-board video, two 500G SATA 3 HD, transferred the existing PCI eMu 1820M boards from the old box to the new. Box included 32bit XP and Vista - I had to also add the 64bit Win 7 Pro.

Jim

Sonar has the longest running association with 64 bit, and most every Cakewalk offering (but not every version...)has been one of my top recommendations from the begining, though it has never been my personal favorite app to use. Even in the 'just MIDI sequencing' days, though Cakewalk has a lot of features, I used the features in Voyestra's Sequencer Plus, and even Greg Hendershott (who started Cakewalk) said that Seq+ had more going on for some users.

I happen to use a different app, and I'm not going to change it just to be in a 64 bit environment. But if I was already using Sonar, I'd feel totally comfortable in moving to their 64 bit product.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Like everyone always says, it's just a tool. I feel confident that I can get comfortable with any tool. I my earliest days, I used cakewalk on PC and Performer (before digital performer) on the mac. Actually I spend the most time of my entire career on performer and like it the best for MIDI. But it really doesn't matter. It's a tool. For many other reasons, I've decided on the PC I'm going with and I want to maximize my performance over the long haul. I don't want to change platforms a couple years from now. I don't want to have to install multiple apps. I want to hedge my bets as to the tool that will give me the best performance on this machine now and in the future. If I'm not familiar with it, big deal - so I spend a few weeks messing with it. Know what I mean?

Dan

Archived