Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear spotting - Wix Wickens kb stand(s) "Strat Pack"

Stormfront

All,

In my never ending quest for the ultimate (pun intended)kb stand I was watching Palladia tonight. It was the Strat Pack concert from probably 2004. Anyway Wix was the KB player and I'm wondering if anyone who saw this can id the type of stand(s) he was using?

Looked kind of like a couple of Standtastics but then again ..no. There was x bracing from side to side but the rest looked like it could be some form of Z stand.

Thanks,

Pete

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something like this

http://myface.com/file/pic/gallery/46191_view.jpg

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I've been wondering about that stand also, every time I saw McCartney on TV or DVD.

I think it's just a Z stand with custom X bracing for reinforcement.

Unless of course someone has seen this stand before.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Throbert,

no the bracing was between the two sides not within each side, sort of an x if viewed directly from the audience view

As much as I fail to see the reason behind identifying the stand that someone else uses, having seen that rig from a few different viewpoints it looks like a simple Z stand with a custom metal crossbrace added.

This image (not sure of date, but it's a while back given the gear in the rack, and lack of Receptors) shows a Z-type stand, for what it's worth:

http://www.mostlypink.net/pics/pink/onanisland%20wickens.jpg

From MostlyPink.nl website

I fail to see the reason behind identifying the stand that someone else uses

I know, what was this this guy thinking coming to a keyboard forum asking about keyboard hardware amongst keyboard gear fanatics. He must be lost. :D

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I know, what was this this guy thinking coming to a keyboard forum talking about keyboard hardware amongst keyboard gear fanatics. He must be lost. :D

Here, we talk about gear that hasn't shipped yet and bitch about features the unreleased gear doesn't have. :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I know, what was this this guy thinking coming to a keyboard forum talking about keyboard hardware amongst keyboard gear fanatics. He must be lost. :D

LOL... smartass. :P

If you can explain how one person's choice of stand is pertinent to their sound, I'm all ears. :thu:

Wix has a road crew that handles all his gear for him; if the stand takes 10 minutes to set up and tear down, what difference does it make to him? I'll guarantee it would make one of us "regular joes" curse the stand and the company that makes it until we're blue in the face, though. What if it was wobbly as hell, until they spot-welded the X-brace that the audience sees, so now it's stable, but it doesn't tear down at all, and requires a 4' x 3' road case just for the stand? All things that we would have no way of knowing, but might be the reality. So how does identifying Wix's stand help any of us?

I'm just sayin'... ;):wave:

Here, we talk about gear that hasn't shipped yet and bitch about features the unreleased gear doesn't have. :laugh:

Thats right! Recently developed rules state, you are not allowed to discuss gear unless you have actually physically touched the gear. Only then is your input, insight, and even questions considered. Comments exhibiting curiosity and anticipation are frowned upon here. :wave:

So stormfront, at this point this thread is read only for you until you get this keyboard stand. Im sorry... :(

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

QUOTE OF THE YEAR!!

Here for the gear.

Moe, that can't be the invisible stand - I can see it! I actually have one but for some reason can't take pictures of it.

Sven, mea culpa

It's probably a prototype Monolith II that won't travel well, falls down when someone plays something on it and will come only in RED!

At least thanks for the laughs.

Pete

Actually looking at the video now, that looks like something I would build.

Until I got the leg kit for my stage, my stand was a custom affair made from cut up pieces of my old Invisible Apache stand, with an added aluminum cross brace. I'll try to take some pics and get them up some time.

The stand in my avatar holding the chroma is the same design, except that it is heavy welded steel and doesn't collapse down.

Moe

---

Archived