Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Avatar

Dave Bryce

So, has anyone else seen it yet?

I saw it last night, and was just blown away. I expected to like it, but I didn't expect to be amazed. I've never seen a movie that looks like this does...it absolutely heralds a new age as far as GC.

No wonder this film took 12 years to make...

I do have to put in a disclaimer that the gentleman in charge of the CG (Joe Letteri) is a good friend - he's my son's godfather - but I've seen some other films he did before that looked excellent but didn't didn't knock me out anywhere near as much as this one did (King Kong, for example). To date, my favorite piece of his work was Lord Of The Rings, but Avatar outdoes that significantly, IMO (from a CG POV).

Outstanding score by James Horner as well... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outstanding score by James Horner as well... :thu:

dB

I watched the movie a few days ago, it was really good. I recognized the music author to be the same as the guy who did Troy, and Enemy at the Gates. I didn't know what was his name until 2 days ago. I looked him up on the interent, cos I immediatelly recognized him by a small lick he puts in all his scores. It's a small trumpety lick, always appearing when something exciting is about to happen. Troy, Enemy at the Gates, Avatar... the same lick for exciting situation.

I don't know if he is recycling his ideas, or it's just a "trademark" lick he puts in all his movie scores, but it's something I immediatelly noticed.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

It's a small trumpety lick, always appearing when something exciting is about to happen. Troy, Enemy at the Gates, Avatar... the same lick for exciting situation.

I don't know if he is recycling his ideas, or it's just a "trademark" lick he puts in all his movie scores, but it's something I immediatelly noticed.

At least it's not a penny whistle lick, then we couldn't get Celine to shutup! :eek:

My oldest daughter has expressed interest in going to see it, so I'm going to take it in over the holidays.

Looks awesome.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I read that Avatar uses new camera and CG technology that was developed specifically for purposes of this film (although now it will obviously be used more broadly).

In an interview in last week's Entertainment Weekly magazine, James Cameron was quoted as saying that if he wanted to use the technology to make the "Na'vi" look human instead of like 9-foot tall, blue aliens with pointy ears, he could have done it. He specifically said that the technology is now good enough that if Clint Eastwood wanted to make one more Dirty Harry movie but wanted to look exactly like he did 30 years ago, it could be done, and no one would know the difference from reality.

That's really friggin' cool.

Noah

If anyone has seen Avatar in IMAX 3D - what did you think? I haven't seen it yet in any form but am interested in watching it first in a theater that will blow my socks off. I would especially like to know if it's presentation in that format makes you nauseous. I'm not into vomiting while watching a movie.

Cameron's been accused of ripping off the Smurfs, Jar Jar Binks, Fern Gully: The Last Rain Forest and Roger Dean.

The latest charges are more serious as the summary of 'Call Me Joe' a classic sci-fi story from 1957 is pretty much spot on.

Synopsis of Call Me Joe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_me_joe

hey,always steal from the best,am I right?

I won't be seeing this,as it looks to be a huge steaming pile of dung. :sick:

Well we have tickets to see that dung-pile steam in IMAX tomorrow evening! I'll report back on whether Cameron gets the smell right, ;)
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I won't be seeing this,as it looks to be a huge steaming pile of dung. :sick:

Based on what - TV commercials? They don't begin to do this film justice. :idea:

Hey, if you don't like sci-fi fantasy in general, this may not be the film for you...but I'm here to tell you, this is so far from a steaming pile of dung it's not funny. In terms of filmmaking, it's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen...and I'm typically not prone to superlatives, and am fairly citical of movies....I'm a big fan - I see lots of 'em.

I don't understand what makes people condemn stuff they haven't experienced....

I'd want to see it for the technology, and how it aids the storytelling. I at least expect 'that' to be impressive.

It is, in fact, impressive. :)

dB

I plan to see "Avatar' the moment I can get out from under this snow.

From the trailers I saw at the movie theater, I expect it to be an amazing movie from a production standpoint.

Watching Cameron's interview on '60 MInutes' a few weeks ago, he mentioned this movie will be a game-changer.

Based on dB's superlatives, Cameron must have succeeded on some level. I'm checking it out. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I don't know if it's a game changer or not. Overused term.

3-D without the glasses would change the game. Avatar will be released on 3-D Blu-Ray requiring SOTA hardware and glasses. Reminds me of the Virtual Reality gloves and glasses of the 90s that went nowhere.

3-D without glasses is on the horizon and being demoed. Likely 3 or 4 years before prices and a standard are developed.

My friend Joe says it's unlike any other 3D film. No stupid gratuitous shots to show off the technology, which is cool because I hate those. He says when you see it in 3D it's like you're there.

He says they had the premiere in 3D Wednesday night, and they got a standing ovation....

dB

Your last post makes me want to see it more, Dave.

I saw the only showing of the first ever 3D movie in Boston in 1981, Hitchcock's "Dial M For Murder." It was shot in the 50's in 2D and 3D, but no theaters existed with 3D tech at the time to show it.

And there were no gratuitous shots at all, it was subtle and just immersive - but on a much lower tech scale than Avatar of course.

I plan to see "Avatar' the moment I can get out from under this snow.

From the trailers I saw at the movie theater, I expect it to be an amazing movie from a production standpoint.

Watching Cameron's interview on '60 MInutes' a few weeks ago, he mentioned this movie will be a game-changer.

Based on dB's superlatives, Cameron must have succeeded on some level. I'm checking it out. :thu::cool:

I saw Sigourney Weaver on the Daily Show from the 14th. She said the same. It seems Cameron needed a much smaller crew because of the way it was filmed (at least the 3D alien part).

That makes me wonder though, along with your Cheapening of art thread: Willthis kind of technology ever trickle down? Will some schmuck ever be able to make a 3D home movie?

Saw it in 3D tonight. The animation was the most lifelike I've ever seen, they finally got the humanoids' eyes to not be dead, the aliens and creatures moved very naturally, and the vistas and ecology were breathtaking.

The plot was serviceable but made up of themes you have seen before in other movies or stories. This doesn't bother me because there are very few story ideas that have never been tried.

The human computer technology and military hardware was well done and believable too. The 3D effect was not overdone, and after awhile you didn't overtly notice it any more.

I enjoyed it a lot!

Moe

---

Based on what - TV commercials? They don't begin to do this film justice. :idea:

dB

There are huge problems with the trailers. I can't even tell if there is a plot I can care about. I love the tech side but that when done well is maybe 20% of enjoying a movie. The story is the king. The trailers show nothing but tech.

I hope there are all of the elements of a great movie.

Dean (if a subliminal influence or not) does shoe up in much of the bits I've seen.

If all the tech serves the story, then it is gonna be good.

I just saw Avatar in IMAX 3D tonight and was stunned! Forget the story, you've seen it before, but you've NEVER seen any story done like this. James Cameron and Henry Selick (Coraline) are the only directors I've seen that truly understand how to direct a film in 3D. Bloody brilliant!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

That makes me wonder though, along with your Cheapening of art thread: Will this kind of technology ever trickle down? Will some schmuck ever be able to make a 3D home movie?

I don't see why not, there's lots of schmucks making home recordings....

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived