Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mellotron restoration

BP3

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. I imagine that resto would cost as much or more than a new one would in today's dollars.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Stunning resto work! The layout of the black keys in the bottom octave (at 6:41) threw me off until I realized the KB went down to G.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Bill,

Thanks for posting this here. And thanks to all of you who enjoyed that video. Although I can repair/restore nearly any old keyboard (curently working on a Clavioline and two Solovoxes), Trons are my passion. The "Blue" Mellotron video was just to showcase my work. When I am done, they play as fast as many synths and have a very light action. Anyone who has any further interest is welcome to contact me. If you have an old Tron, I would be happy to discuss fixing it up.

Frank

Welcome to the Forum Frank/TronDoc! Your restoration work in the video looks superb.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

loved it frank...be proud very interesting stuff....love to know the trons previous history as to how it lost some keys etc..the interestring painting on it...infact it would have been hard to paint over that picture as did it have any history associated to it [the tron as painted] or band etc.

I kept the back panel. There were no missing keys. There was a missing tape spill box and missing cheek blocks. The preamp and line amp circuits were fried and the motor control card (CMC-10) was crap. It took more than 120 hours to rebuild it.

At some point the whole project took on a life all its own. I wanted to take something caught in a 70s moment and, while retaining all of its character, update its appearence and make it competent to play on any stage or in any studio.

Frank, is there a back story to this blue Mellotron?

Not really. I saw it on eBay and bid on it. I ended up winning is pretty cheap because it was missing so many parts and only one other guy wanted it. I drove up to Connecticut to get it from a guy who collected guitars and some keyboards. He told me that he had set it up to play loops and that he used it on stage. He lied. It was absolutely unplayable. In fact, it wouldn't even turn on. Most of his other stuff was as crappy as the Mellotron. There was dirt in it from back in the 70s.

I ended up actually getting him to refund me a substantial amount of money when I discovered that the only other bidder was his buddy who was bidding it up.

When I first posted photos of it on my myspace page, I got an email from a kid in England who told me his dad had played it in a studio there and recognized the Unicorn paint job. That's pretty much all I know.

My intention was to just use it for parts or maybe eventually rebuild it and use it for a test bed for improvements. It sat around my shop for a couple of years until last July when a guy contacted me. He was looking for a deal so I told him if he would fund the project I'd restore it and he could pay for it over time. The original intention was to just paint the inside and restore the machine and update the electronics. Many of my clients who bring me their machines don't want to pay to have the outside done, but I always clean, repair and paint the insides.

Once I had rebuilt the Mellotron itself, I played it in the skellotron (a rig that holds two frames and enables me work outside the cabinet) while I fixed up the inside of the cabinet. In the video you can see where I painted the inside blue. That's all I was going to do to the cabinet. The clean install and all of the other work would have been identical to what you saw. This is all he wanted to pay for at the time. The Mellotron itself would have looked exactly as you see it now on the inside, except blue, and with the Unicorn back panel intact and the crappy paint on the outside

However... Once I got it playing in the skellotron, I knew it deserved better. I had a completely diffent look in mind. So I contacted its benefactor (new owner) and convinced him to pay me to fix up the outside (I made him a great deal.) I did not tell him anything about what it was going to look like. He never got to see it until he came to get it. Then I found out I no longer had access to a spray booth where I would have painted it with two-part acrylic lacquer. So I turned to plan B and went to a friend who used to paint motorcycles. We decided to use epoxy automobile paint. It is very expensive. When you add up the gallon of paint, reducer and catalyst, the investment is over $400.00. Luckily you can paint a whole bunch of Mellotrons with that much paint. The paint is great and very chip resistant but the cabinet takes a lot more prep.

When the new owner came to pick it up, he was overwhelmed. He had never met me or seen the Mellotron. He had only seen the before photos. His blind faith was well rewarded. It plays as great as it looks.

So that's the story.

Frank

What's the big round thing in the side of the cab - a speaker or vent?

Never saw a mellotron with one of those before.

Neither. If you watch the video you will see that someone (idiot) cut a hole in the side of the cabinet... most probably to be able to grab the flywheel for those extreme pitch-bending moments (later explored by John Medesky, who, wisely, only removed the lid). So when I fixed it up, I had to come up with some way to deal with the hole. I decided to put a black Plexiglass disk over it (if one wishes, it can be opened to reveal the flywheel).

I suspect that when the Mellotron was originally butchered the order of good ideas went something like this...

"Hey, let's cut a hole in the side of the Mellotron so we can grab the flywheel for some extreme pitch bending. Uh-oh, now the cabinet looks like shit! Let's paint it; I have some blue spray paint. First, though, we'll smoke a shit load of weed and we can listen to Yes while we paint it. Hey this looks pretty cool! Let's put a groovy Unicorn on the back. We'll put him on a tree branch in outer space looking back at the Earth. It'll be all magical and stuff. :thu:. Wow, this is the bestest Mellotron ever... Now let's make it really super great. Let's make it play tape loops like a Birotron. Shit it doesn't work anymore!!" :freak:

You forgot to add the ending - "Wow, man - it don't NEED to work anymore, lets just smoke a few more and look at the big thing spinning. Oh, oh, FAR OUT!"

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived