Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple falling behind?

zephonic

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff Han says it best in the second vid (3:33) "this is how we should be interfacing with machines."

Mind you, that demo was almost 4 years ago.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I remember when touch screens were first proposed (I was there -- it was a few decades ago). How little progress in that time!

Most people seem enthralled at the rate of technological progress in the computer industry, but I saw it stalled for 15-20 years during the initial distraction of the PC craze.

Touch screens are meant to be used with different aides and devices and not just the fingers. I have no idea if this "modern" take on them will account for the practical needs of people doing high-resolution work or not.

I also often wonder why we don't have real tablets anymore, as we did in the mid 70's through mid 80's. I've Googled (though not recently) and the companies and models I knew are gone. I used to write firmware and device drivers as well as graphics customization code for REAL tablets, almost 30 years ago. Modern tablets only have a few buttons, and no contextual shortcut grids.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I for one would think the touch screen would be a nightmare for typing, and especially doing any sort of precision work, such as graphic media and music applications. I find the new Macbook's multi-touch mouse pad to be tough to use and not all that useful for serious computing, so going a step further and relying on a touch screen is not something I'm interested in yet. Plus, there's the little matter of your screen inevitably always being smudgy from being constantly touched by dirty, oily fingers. Give me a mouse and a keyboard any day of the week.

Great novelty, though. I'm sure the hip, iPhone-wielding, latest-and-greatest crowd will eat it up.

If you notice in the bottom left of that shot, there is an external keyboard and mouse connected to the MacBook touch, with the MBT in a stand acting as a screen.

For once, even this phony-baloney mockup rumor has it right. (A lot of times these things are way off on the details.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

According to IDC, they're predicting the "MacTablet" will be more like a big iPod Touch than a Macbook.

IDC predictions

I tried using the iPod Touch while exercising and found it to be a big PIA. Trying to control volume or move to the next song while on a treadmill sucks. I went back to using my iPod Classic with the wheel for volume and next/previous buttons.

I've tried numerous apps on the iPod Touch and have walked away from most feeling frustrated. The screen is too small and it's to difficult to make selections using the touch screen. Funny but I've never had problems using Korg's relatively low tech touch screen.

The iPod Touch is a good device for watching South Park episodes. I'll give it that.

Busch.

You must have been using a 1st gen iPt. The 2nd gen models have volume control buttons on the side like the iPhone.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you notice in the bottom left of that shot, there is an external keyboard and mouse connected to the MacBook touch, with the MBT in a stand acting as a screen.

I did see that, but then it loses some portability as a "laptop" type device. Kinda hard to juggle a screen and external keyboard and mouse in your lap.

Maybe they should pair it with a laptop-like docking device, basically an external keyboard and touch mouse housed in an L-shaped unit (like a regular laptop) that the thing could just clip into. Gives you the option to use it as-is as a touch device if you so choose, but also the option to use a real keyboard and mouse for more precision control while traveling. Just an idea. They could sell it separately and certainly make more $$.

Apple has a proposed connector that would basically handle all needs through one interface - video, data, whatever. Single cable for everything. What I would want from a tablet is the ability to use it as a full on portable computer (not a glorified iPod) with the ability to connect it with a single cable to a host machine that would then leverage it's screen both for display and for input - type on your computer keyboard, use the tablet as a touchscreen interface. In other words, it would combine as a second screen for Logic, a touchscreen for mixing and stuff in Logic, AND leverage the processor(s) as Logic Nodes. THAT would be sweet.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Windows was, is and always will be...Windows. And truthfully, I don't feel like seeing the BSOD (BLACK screen of death-they got rid of the Blue one for v7). For music intensive applications, I look no further than Apple. PERIOD.

I can't remember the last time I got a BSOD on a windows box here at home- I know that when I did, it was a bad memory module. Replaced the bad memory, no more BSOD. Don't Macs have hardware failures too? I support 120+ Windows servers for my job- haven't had a BSOD on any of those in several years.

I think the idea that Windows boxes give the BSOD on a regular basis is way overblown. If your hardware is in good shape and your drivers are up to date, it really doesn't happen.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I like to think that I am an open person. I have room for your point of view, even if I do not agree. I'm willing to discuss a point of view, again even if I do not agree. It helps me to understand where you are coming from. And if I don't agree, I'm going to talk you YOU about it, before I approach anyone else.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

[video:youtube]

Kewl.

I hate this sort of thing. It's promotional vapourware designed to get people "excited" about your existing product based on whiz-band technology they can't, and most likely never will be able to, buy. It's much easier to put together an animation than it is to actually make a product that works. My mantra after 20 years in IT is that if I can't buy one it doesn't exist.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived