Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boston Foreplay on a Lowry Prestige

The solo was published in the 1980's. I bought the transcription. i have no idea what I did with it,but I will search for it.

I bought it way back when. It is part of a best of Boston book with transcriptions for many of their hits.

I recall seeing that a couple of times, but it was waaaaay out there. IIRC, I'm not sure the main lick was even correct.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hey, thanks for sharing MC! I'm gonna have some fun with this over the long weekend. Just may get out the cassette tape....err CD....to cross-reference my version with the different versions in this thread. It's been over 20 years since I learned it..... Seems there are just a few small discrepancies here and there among us. Has anyone ever slowed it down to figure it out?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I bought it way back when. It is part of a best of Boston book with transcriptions for many of their hits.

I recall seeing that a couple of times, but it was waaaaay out there. IIRC, I'm not sure the main lick was even correct.

you're correct. I used it as a base reference to get started. it was way off in many parts.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Since I've started speeding it up to "boston speed", I've noticed some of my voicings aren't working so well. I've made modifications that probably aren't right, but then again maybe they are.

As far as slowing it down, you read my mind, I was thinking of doing that and transcribing it note for note. I'm probably currently more accurate on the hard parts than the easy parts because I just skimmed over the easy parts and didn't really transcribe, just to get it down to where I could play it through.

So far, the way I'm playing it (right or wrong), I can pretty much do it almost mistake free at about 3/4 speed. When I get up to full speed, it's sloppy and full of mistakes. But I'm getting closer.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Holy crap! I just printed that out and sat down with it. That's really hard to play at any close to the recording's speed. This will be harder than I thought. Should be a fun challenge actually, I'll throw it into my morning practice routine and see what comes out in a week or six...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Yeah, I'm on week 2-1/2. Honestly, it's probably a bit above my normal ability level, but I'm one of those guys who, if I practice it enough, will eventually nail it. People think I'm better than I am because of stuff like that that I've taken the time to nail. :thu:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

to give a little bit of creedence to the theory that they played it in A- & tuned it up (even though I have to admit I doubt it too!), try the opening lick & the descending arpeggio in A-. It's far easier & more natural fingering.... or at least it seems that way to me.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Enjoy it - that was transcribed with the music slowed down 1/2 speed. It's also a lot easier to transcribe with the music at low level, as most of us love to "turn it up" when that comes on the radio.

Hint - the fingering for the opening motif is 3-1-3-4-1-2. Once you get that down, the rest will fall into place.

I'd like to know what Tom Scholtz was smoking when he wrote that.

Years ago I played in an R&B/funk band. At a rehearsal we ripped through Foreplay/Long Time in one pass. Then at a gig I started the opening motif just for giggles and the bandleader cut me off. I thought "I'll get him".

So whenever I had an organ solo, I would transpose the key - Dm, Am, Em, Cm - and play the opening motif as part of my solo. Everybody caught it and there was much snickering, alas the joke was lost on poor bandleader as he couldn't figure out what everybody was laughing about, which made it even funnier. After four months we finally told him.

Well, fearless bandleader decided to make a "game" out of it. He always liked to get the audience involved so he announced that sometime during the night I would play - cue motif - and the first person to catch me playing it would win a prize. People actually did catch it.

Since I've started speeding it up to "boston speed", I've noticed some of my voicings aren't working so well. I've made modifications that probably aren't right, but then again maybe they are.

As far as slowing it down, you read my mind, I was thinking of doing that and transcribing it note for note. I'm probably currently more accurate on the hard parts than the easy parts because I just skimmed over the easy parts and didn't really transcribe, just to get it down to where I could play it through.

So far, the way I'm playing it (right or wrong), I can pretty much do it almost mistake free at about 3/4 speed. When I get up to full speed, it's sloppy and full of mistakes. But I'm getting closer.

One of the things that helped me get this song up to speed was sitting down at a PIANO and playing it with a metronome, like a Hanon exercise. I sarted off very slowly, and exaggerated the finger movements, to facilitate muscle memory. After I got it close to "Boston speed" I switched over to organ and was able to fly through it. Kind of like how a baseball player uses those weighted donut things on his bat before he hits.

- George Bernard Shaw

People think I'm better than I am because of stuff like that that I've taken the time to nail. :thu:

The flip side of that is you're better than you think you are because you're willing to put the work in.

+1

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old topic, but much to my surprise I found this thread of me playing Foreplay in the original post. It's great to see others doing this tune, I don't seem to run across it very often. :D

That's you in the video I posted? Nice work - I'd be interested in you shedding some light on exactly what you had set up as far as splits, layers, and anything else going on to accomplish all the parts.

Dan

I know this is an old topic, but much to my surprise I found this thread of me playing Foreplay in the original post. It's great to see others doing this tune, I don't seem to run across it very often. :D

That's you in the video I posted? Nice work - I'd be interested in you shedding some light on exactly what you had set up as far as splits, layers, and anything else going on to accomplish all the parts.

+1

Nice playing!

- George Bernard Shaw

Hey Joe- it's impressive enough that you played the piece... but so have many of us mere mortals around here. What elevates you above the flock is that you were fricking kicking pedals too! Badass dude! :thu:

welcome to the forum.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I'll need to go back and check exactly what I have mixed. For now, If I remember correct.... the basic B-3 sounds on the upper throughout, a distortion guitar sample on the lower but the sound was a bit dry so I mixed a synth lead sound aka Van Halen "jump" sound in with it albiet at a much lower relative volume to give the guitar some warmth. I have programmable presets so I think I went though about 10 of them for the tune as in that video. There are some basic drum patterns like the high hat cymbal riff that are automated and some drums are coupled to the lower keyboard and to the pedals. I can start and stop the percussion patterns with a foot switch, I can change presets with another foot switch, plus a few other touch bar controllers for additional percussion. The pedals are sometimes unsplit, sometimes percussion is layered over the top, split at other times with additional percussion on the top half. Lower keyboard was never split but some percussion layered when needed. I think I also had to edit the attack of the guitar as the basic sample wasn't quite right.

That Lowrey Prestige is marketed as a "home organ", it does have some really good features and samples, but some samples are just average. I had to really work at mixing things to get the desired results and assign all kinds of extra layered percussion all over the place to make it come out as close as possible to the real deal. I'm still not happy with some of the mixes and percussion, but they are about at the limit of what I can do on that piece of equipment. It would be really neat if I could get just an actual drum track with all the proper parts to play with! Oh.... there are days I long for playing in a band again. Doing everything youself sometimes is just not the same as the magic created by the other musicians in a kick ass group.

I'll go back and look further into my setups this next week when I get a few moments, work schedule has been a bit nuts lately.

Regards and thanks, Joe Bowen

Ok guys...I'm a huge Boston fan and I've never learned this correctly so it's time for me too to learn it. By the way, I was at the Greek Theatre Friday night for Deep Purple and got to see Barry Goudreau and Sib Hashian of Boston playing with their new band Ernie and The Automatics. They did a killer ten minute long medley of Boston stuff, including Foreplay. The singer keyboardist was playing an RD-300 and he just nailed it! I went to walk around between acts and saw Barry coming out of the door behind the stage and said hi to him. Today I was messing with Foreplay...I had always thought of course the intro lick is the Bflat, Dflat Eflat and F arpeggio...But I never noticed...at the same time that arp is playing- what's with the notes going A flat- F back and forth????? Is this an overdub? Or does Tom play those on the second manual? Problem is if you do those notes as well- then you can't do the descending line on the intro. Hmmm

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/studio/keyboards/hammond_xk3/foreplay-1.jpg

Hmmm..... I just happen to glance through the transcription. I learned this by ear and for some reason I hear the last two notes of the triplet in measure 7 as being reversed. I play those notes as Ab, C, Eb.... a definate reversal from the decending pattern.

edit; nevermind.... went back and listened to the album, the transcription is correct.