Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEED HELP WITH A SONG, PLEASE!

Road Apple

I am ashamed to admit it, but I cannot figure out the four quick descending keyboard chords in the intro of "Fast as You" by Dwight Yoakum. If someone could please advise, I would be grateful.
Yamaha S08, Hammond XK1, 1966 Farfisa Compact(I know its cheesy, but I like it)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps you could provide a link to a site where that intro is clearly heard.

I listened to a handful of YouTube videos of that song, one by Dwight Yoakum himself, and none had a keyboard intro - the tune started right on I.

Also, you don't have to shout, we're not blind.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

top notes G, F#, D, C# and the chords under those notes respectively were E minor, D major, B minor, A major

This took all of a few seconds. I guessing you didn't spend much time on this.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dear Dave:

Thank you for the help. I really do appreciate it.

Not being as accomplished of a organist as some folks are, I am not ashamed to ask for help. At the same token, I don't criticize someone for not being as accomplished at other things as I may be.

p.s. I tend to type in all caps..just as some people may talk with a loud voice...sorry about that.

FDKEY, the point is, if you spend time figuring these things out on your own, you'll get better. I did you no favor.

It took a lot longer to suffer through the windoze 7 ad and whip out the notation software than anything else. My opinion differs slightly from Dave's.

http://B3and88.com/img/dylick.jpg

But I do agree that this is stuff you have to suffer though and learn for yourself. Two of my biggest inspirations were roommates. The guy who called me stone fingers and the guy who gave me endless crap about mister piano tuner having difficulty figuring out what the notes and chords were from the music he was listening to.

--wmp

Yup. Dave isn't a terribly nice guy ( :D ), but he's right. Your very best teacher is your set of ears (presumably on each side of your head) and the brain in between them. The very process of struggling to "figure it out" will help you recognize those chords the next time they come up, or when you choose to include a variation of them in your own work.

I had a helluva time when I was a kid, listening to Steely Dan and literally not being able to hear what the hell was going on. I could hear the sound; I couldn't hear how it was being made. Some 30 years later, recognizing complex cluster chords and atypical inversions is as easy as hearing a C triad, but it took a lot of work and (most of all) listening and trial/error to get to that point.

It's sophisticated music, sure, but don't let that scare you.

I was doing "Peg" on solo acoustic guitar at a show awhile back. There wasn't anything resembling a "standard" guitar chord in the entire tune. The simplest it got was an "add9" from time to time. But once you really start hearing it, your hands start moving naturally into the positions, and you've conquered it.

And much like the proverbial bike, once you learn, you don't unlearn how to listen for those things.

That does seem to be true. Not that I`ve learned alot of there songs but.. even in "My Old School" As you said you just get used to his chord structures and auto relate them to everything else. Great point. Doesn`t help that I`m not a reg. jazz player either though.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

GENTLEMEN AND/OR LADIES:

THANKS TO EACH AND ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR GENEROUS HELP. PERHAPS A REALLY GOOD SET OF EARS IS A GOD GIVEN TALENT THAT I MAY NOT POSESS, BUT I HOPE TO ATTRIBUTE MY IGNORANCE, OR LACK OF ABILITY(WHICHEVER IS THE CASE) TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE ONLY BEEN PLAYING A VERY SHORT TIME. WHEN I GET 20 OR 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE I HOPE TO BE AS KNOWLEGEABLE AS MOST OF YOU SEEM TO BE.

ONE THING THAT I WILL ALWAYS BE IS HUMBLE AND WILLING TO HELP THOSE ALONG THE WAY.

ONCE AGIN, THANK YOU. ESPECIALLY TO DAVE FOR HIS WISDOM.......

The good news is that it should not 20 or 30 years of listening and practice to hear and figure these things out. Hang in there. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

GENTLEMEN AND/OR LADIES:

THANKS TO EACH AND ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR GENEROUS HELP. PERHAPS A REALLY GOOD SET OF EARS IS A GOD GIVEN TALENT THAT I MAY NOT POSESS, BUT I HOPE TO ATTRIBUTE MY IGNORANCE, OR LACK OF ABILITY(WHICHEVER IS THE CASE) TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE ONLY BEEN PLAYING A VERY SHORT TIME. WHEN I GET 20 OR 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE I HOPE TO BE AS KNOWLEGEABLE AS MOST OF YOU SEEM TO BE.

ONE THING THAT I WILL ALWAYS BE IS HUMBLE AND WILLING TO HELP THOSE ALONG THE WAY.

ONCE AGIN, THANK YOU. ESPECIALLY TO DAVE FOR HIS WISDOM.......

Welcome to the forum Road, turn down the iPod.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived