Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Solo disc coming in December (no Hammond and not jazz!)

Jim Alfredson

Hi friends,

I've spent the last 16 years or so completely focused on the Hammond B3, trying to master the beast in the areas of jazz and blues. But when I was a kid one of my first loves was the synthesizer. My dad was my musical mentor and always supported me and greatly influenced how I approach music. We had an original DX7 and a Fostex four-track and I made tons of goofy music on that setup. In the early 90s we got an SY77 which I still have today.

Anyway, I have a new CD coming out. It will be a limited edition run of only 100 copies. It's certainly not jazz or blues but all synthesized using a combination of digital and analog gear.

It's called "In Memorandom" and was inspired by the loss of my dad last spring (May of 2008) and revisiting memories of my childhood and my mother (who passed in 1997) and their influence on me.

You can read more about it and hear samples here:

http://tinyurl.com/ykqc69q

Gear used: Korg Wavestation A/D, Moog Voyager, Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos, Roland JD-990, Steinberg Groove Agent, Studio Electronics ATC-x and SE1x, Yamaha EX5r, FS1r, SY77 and SY99. Recorded with Cubase 4.5.

Any comments welcome. Thanks!

http://www.big-o-records.com/zen-cart/images/2412_cover_sm.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool stuff. "Jibber Jabber" (out of the 3 songs you can preview) particularly stood out to me as a sweet track. I like the combination of the Wurly and the other electronic elements. Nice use of the Mellotron-ish choir sound, which can sound out of place in the wrong hands. Nifty cover art too.

As a sort of aside: out of the two major electric piano brands, I've always preferred the tone of the Wurly over the Rhodes.

Jim, you are so amazingly musical I am often surprised you are capable of anything else like writing or talking. I mean that as a compliment! :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Brian, thanks for that! It means a lot; I really dig your stuff. Jibber Jabber was a fun track to make. You'd probably dig Khalimba as well; it's centered around a djembe rhythm sample and has some cool Rhodes over the top with big fat Moog bass.

Joe, that's a funny comment! I've been playing all my life. Its just something I've always done. I keep looking for signs in my daughters! My middle one is very rhythmic and can already sing melodies in tune and in time at the age of 18 months! She can't even really talk yet. Scary!

I wasn't really planning on releasing this stuff in an official form. Its a deeply personal project for me. But I played it for some friends and family and they all said I needed to do something with it, so...

jim

very nice work and the fact that it's dedicated to your parents is very touching.

i like the use of timbres and the sense of empty space -lots of place for the listener to put his feelings. there are parts that your work reminded me aestheticaly the music of marky mark (keys player for the beastie boys).

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

:D

Finishing up final mixes this weekend (hopefully) and then deciding on a final order for the tunes. Artwork should be done by early next week. I might be able to ship them much quicker than anticipated if everything goes as planned.

I haven't listened to Marky Mark since "Check Your Head", but I always dug his laid-back, groovy style.

I should mention, this is definitely a headphones album!

Jim,

A very touching and moving tribute. You're a living legacy to your father's sacrifices and dedication. Very well done.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

If this thread is off-topic, I'm a purple spotted aardvark. The tracks sound really good, you've created some gorgeous soundscapes here...I can hear both the space-music and prog influences in the sample tracks.

A wonderful tribute, absolutely wonderful. Kudos.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Mastered the disc on Friday. I am totally stoked. This is the first record I've mixed completely on my own and the mastering engineer (who is also a dear friend and owns a killer professional studio in E. Lansing) had some really great suggestions.

We decided the best course of action would be to bring in my DAW rig and run a S/PDIF output from my interface to his ProTools HD rig. That way, if we needed to make any serious changes to the mixes, I could do it right there in Cubase on my computer.

He also suggested outputting the bass track(s) separately (had to go analog out on those) so he could process them independently of the mix. We tried some plug-ins in Cubase first, but nothing sounded as good as going out analog and going through a vintage DBX 165. It just made the synth bass come alive.

Anyway, I put up the remastered samples on the site. Less than 60 copies left! I'm very proud of this disc and excited to release it!

DanS, thanks for posting. The tension of a possible fifth consecutive post by the OP was making me very uneasy. :)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

This looks like it's gonna be a great album. Like all of Jim's stuff, you should get you some if you ain't already. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 weeks later...

The CD is here and I'm shipping copies to all those that ordered tomorrow!

http://www.organissimo.org/pub/100_4911.JPG

Still some copies left. Mr. Horne hasn't ordered one yet. :( I know he'd love it since every single instrument on it uses electricity. In fact, some of them reside only in the RAM of a computer! Oh the nuttiness!

All pre-orders shipped yesterday (Dec 15th). A big thank you to everyone who ordered. Still some copies left.

I had to move servers so the Big O site has been intermittent as nameservers around the globe point to the new IP address. If you can't see the site, just try again (refresh).

You have inspired me again Jim.... Since I finished school as a massage therapist I have threatened to write music for that profession and now I have a need for a real synth to do it. I have never been a synth player but I could have a lot of fun with one after listening to your stuff.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Jim, my dad made hours upon hours of ambient music that he packaged for massage therapists and other relaxation situations, just locally. It can be very enjoyable. He was certainly no synthesist, he just knew what sounded good.

The digital powerhouses of the 1990s are so inexpensive these days and still very much viable; the Yamaha SY77 or SY99, Roland Super JD-990, Korg Wavestation... the options are limitless.

Mark, your copy is going out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay! :)

Archived