Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wah Pedals: Discuss

The Bear Jew

So I've kinda decided I am interested in a wah pedal.

Now, in the past, I've used Crybabies, old Morleys and a Vox wah.

They've all been... fine, I guess. While they all "wah," they also all suck tone when they're not on (I know, I know--true bypass mods are no big deal), and the pots tend to get all weird and scratchy after a while (and yes, I know those are replaceable, too--it's just a pain in the ass.)

I decided about 10 years ago that being able to go "wah-wah-wah" with my guitar just wasn't worth the hassle that went with the pedal. And yeah, I have a lovely old Mu-Tron III as well as a newer Q-Tron. They're both nice, but the whole auto-wah thing just doesn't feel organic enough to me. I can get a wah-like effect by fluttering the pick-up selector switch on my Les Paul, but that doesn't seem like a very reliable thing to do....

In my recent quest for a wah, I've discovered something--most wah pedals kind of suck in general.

I guess the top of the pile is the Teese RMC gang of wahs. I've never played one, but they do sound awesome... for about $300, they better. I'm not buying one of these just on principle. That's just too damn much money to spend on a wah pedal. Those are out.

Crybaby has made a bunch of signature pedals for folks, and they all seem very specific to certain types of players. Unfortunately, I play nothing like any of these people.

The Zakk Wylde wah has no throw--all the action seems to be in the heel-down portion. The Slash wah has a wider throw, but it's got these weird knobs and buttons... I don't want all of those options. Just give me a nice wah, OK? The Dimebag wah is even worse with the knobs and buttons.

I tried some Morley wahs, too. The Steve Vai "Bad Horsie" wahs have the interesting option of just turning on when you put your foot on the pedal, but it's just too damn weird--the pedal turns itself off if you stop moving your foot. Uncool. Plus, the throw is short, and it sounds almost like an auto-wah. Lame.

I also played the newish Ernie Ball wah... that might be an option... it has a nice throw, has true bypass and appears to be built like it was meant to withstand a nuclear blast. It's a little expensive (about $200) but that seems fair to me.

Now, I also know Robert Keeley does excellent mods on crybabies and Vox wahs (I still have both of these), but by the time you get the true bypass ($70), a new pot ($30), an LED ($30), a power jack ($20) and pay for shipping to send the old pedal in to Keeley to have they work done, you're getting close to the price for something brand new (like the Ernie Ball)...

So... What say you all? What do you guys think are the best wah options?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I looked into this a couple of years ago. Back in the day I had a Tycobrae and a Morley. This time around I opted for the FullTone Clyde. Yeah, lots of other options, features, etc etc. At the end of the day, I wanted 'wah wah wah' with true bypass and low noise. Combined with the Fulltone DeJa2, I get a nice swirly Hendrix or Trower, good enough for me. You could really obsess on it... I figured that out while reading the different pages posted by guys who mod or guys who have sought to duplicate the original.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yo Craig,

I did check out the 535Q briefly, and maybe it was just the store model, but the knobs didn't seem to do too much to the frequency range of the pedal, and the boost just wasn't anything special... sounded like a lot of top-end fizz. But, again, maybe that was just the store model I tried... it was probably (ab)used by every jackass in the tri-state area, so maybe a fresher one would have worked a little more acceptably. As it stood, I wasn't impressed with that one.

Bill,

I saw the FullTone Clyde at the same store... I didn't even ask to test is out... at $260, it seems kinda pricey for a wah, but I understand these sound excellent--on a par with the RMC Wizard Wah and such. Still... that seems like a lot to spend for something that shouldn't be tooooo difficult to get right.

Apparently, it IS hard to get it right, though, huh? Because... damn... I played a lot of wah pedals, and, seriously, most of them were sucky.

From what I am gathering, either I spend the bucks for something like the Clyde or an RMC, or I need to get my old Vox fixed up for roughly the same price of a cheaper, unmodded one.

Or I guess I can continue to get along without. That's definitely an option at this point. I refuse to obsess on this wah thing. I'll check them out until one floats my boat. Something out there has to be cool.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

"From what I am gathering, either I spend the bucks for something like the Clyde or an RMC, or I need to get my old Vox fixed up for roughly the same price of a cheaper, unmodded one. "

My money would be on a new (or used) one from one of the major guys, like FullTone, Keley, etc. The older gear just has too much noise, no true bypass, and the parts are just going to keep failing and/or drifting out of spec. There are probably 5 or 6 guys who have offered their version of the "Clyde" who are well respected. They are all around that same price point.

Some of the other guys here got me into the boutique amp thing, and once I got hooked on that sound, I really hated what all of my old pedals and multieffect pedals did to that tone. So I ended up buying a number of boutique pedals, and now I'm a happy camper. But as you point out... they ain't cheap. (But I feel that you do get what you pay for.)

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

The Fulltone Clyde Deluxe may be expensive, but it's certainly a one-stop wah; if you spent some time with one I don't think you'd ever, ever think about replacing it. The Teese wahs and the like are excellent, but I genuinely prefer the departures that the Clyde and Clyde Deluxe make from the typical Crybaby and Vox clones.

I bought a used Fulltone Clyde Deluxe on e-Bay and couldn't be happier with it! It is stellar and superior in every way. Not a bad tone in it, and you can really tweak it to be EXACTLY what you want in a wah; externally you've got a three-way mode selector, a ten-step input-level knob, and action of the treadle-pedal can be tightened or loosened to your preference. Fulltone uses their own proprietary custom-made inductors and pots to have the lowest noise, best tone, and highest reliability.

It's also extremely well built, I don't doubt that there's not another wah made by anyone that's as well built and dependable. Heavy duty steel construction throughout with high-quality powder-coat finishes. Its pedal-throw is excellent, both electronically and mechanically, due to a completely re-designed housing and treadle instead of the same ones used by just about everyone else.

If you shop around for a used one, older ones are fine (mine's an '07; did I mention that I love it?), but the '08 to present models have an improved inductor for an even lower noise-floor than their predecessors, so they're the best ones to look for. Plus, AFAIK they're all black since then, which might suit some people more than the white models like mine.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yeah, Bill, that's what I meant about getting my Vox modded. It's one of the nicer old ones, but the pot went bad, and it's not true-bypass. I was thinking I'd send it to Keeley and have it spruced up with a new pot, true bypass, LED and a power jack. With those things, the old Vox would probably be pretty sweet. Not that a new Clyde wouldn't make me smile, too...

So maybe I'll taste-test one of them Clydes...

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

It's been a while since I've been looking for wah's. I liked the sound of the Crybaby's, but not the feel; and liked the feel of the Morley's, but not the sound. I never tried any of the high end models you all are discussing, but the closest I came to a satisfactory combination was the Snarlin' Dogs Blues Buster. And not just for the neat-o light-up doggy eyes. Unfortunately, I didn't get it when I should have, and haven't seen any around in a long time. He who hesitates is truely lost, or at least wah-less.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

So maybe I'll taste-test one of them Clydes...

I think ya aughtta! Spend some quality time tweaking a Clyde Deluxes internal trimpot and external controls and I bet you'll fall in love with it...

"Jimi"-mode sounds nicely vintage Vox-like, while "Whacked" does a sort of Crybaby kinda thing, and as such is nicely suited for heavier overdrive and distortion sounds. I use "Jimi" most of the time, occasionally switching to "Whacked", all other controls remaining the same. Sounds good in any pedal position.

You can find some SWEET classic parked-wah tones within both the "Whacked" and the "Jimi" modes, too.

Good stuff, folks...

So, last night my wife was looking over my shoulder as I perused some gear review sites, looking at wah pedals. She said, "What's up? You're checking out wah pedals now? I thought you were done with those?" I then informed her that I was kinda jonesing on a wah, and you guys were providing some suggestions on good pedals...

Next thing I knew, she was on e-Bay, scoping out Wizard Wahs and Clydes. I usually leave her alone when she gets like this... because something good tends to happen. I'm not putting the cart ahead of the horse or anything, but I'm just saying... she can be quite motivated when there's something I want.

Did I mention that I have the best wife in the world? I do. She had a hand-made, boutique custom fuzz made for me about six months ago. No reason--she just wanted to do something nice for me. Sorry, dudes, she's all mine.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Yes, I know what you mean. I am fortunate enough to have a wife who totally supports my music. (She started out as the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend for just that reason.)

Steve Martin

Here's a leftfield suggestion for you:

I have a Hiwatt custom wah. ("A what? I thought they made amps...")

It works for me.

A variable Q control, true bypass, can be used for both bass and guitar.

The only sucker about it, is the polarity of the required power adaptor is reverse what I consider to be normal (eg Boss pedals), so I only really use it on battery power.

Oh and for $99, it's worth a try. Just my 2 cents.

I have an original Crybaby and I dig it, though I think you guys have practically sold me on the Fulltone Deluxe. Found some demos on youtube of that sucker and it sounds like it'll do everything.

If I were to purchase a new wah, It'd probably be that one.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

I have an original Crybaby and I dig it, though I think you guys have practically sold me on the Fulltone Deluxe. Found some demos on youtube of that sucker and it sounds like it'll do everything.

If I were to purchase a new wah, It'd probably be that one.

The new models like those by Fulltone and others have true bypass, and are cleaner and quieter than the originals. This is what sold me.

But I also decided NOT to buy the Deluxe. How many wah options becomes just stupid? As I said, I just wanted a good wah, I didn't need a bunch of options and so I selected the standard, non-adjustable model. My old Tycobrae had options, and though they were novel when I first got it, in the long run they were features that I paid for and didn't really use.

Kinda reminds me of those pictures of gear "Man" and "Woman". The Woman piece has a pile of knobs and switches and whatever, the Man just had a single on/off switch. Sometimes ya just want a hammer.

Steve Martin

I do not own a Wah and never have, so I'm really interested in this discussion.

I've seen others talk about potential issues with the pots and all...have you considered one of the "optical" wah models?

And has anyone tried out the Fender Fuzz-Wah?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Classic Crybaby here...has a modern repro of the original Fasel inductor.

When I play it through bigger amps it sounds great....it has a bit more of a kick in the mids that my little Vox Cambridge 15 couldn't quite handle without farting out.

A little bit of a vowel-y "ahh" sound than I remember in my Original Crybaby and Vox RI wahs, but it's subtle.

One of my friends has the HiWatt wah--she is a big fan. She also covets my HiWatt theremin. However, she doesn't use a pedalboard, so the polarity thing isn't a big issue for her. It would be a problem for me, though... having said this, I should probably borrow hers to see if I like it. Of course, then there's the issue of finding one--they're apparently discontinued. Bummer.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

One of my friends has the HiWatt wah--she is a big fan. She also covets my HiWatt theremin. However, she doesn't use a pedalboard, so the polarity thing isn't a big issue for her. It would be a problem for me, though...

Seriously?

http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/pedal_power_supplies/reverse_polarity_converter_for_yamaha_cyr1/

Steve Martin

I'll be curious to hear the fulltone deluxe in a couple days. I pulled the trigger on it as I found one on 'sale' through AMS. $250, sans tax and free shipping. Versus $210 at AMS for the standard ($240 and $290 at MF/GC).

What sold me was while I was at GC looking to check one out, they only had a used Standard... for $200. So I threw down a couple extra dollars for the Deluxe.

I liked what I heard when testing the standard out at GC, but the true test will be when I get back home from vacation Friday and test it out on my rig side by side with my Crybaby. If the little hands-on I had at GC is anything, I'll be plenty happy with the Deluxe, even if I only use one setting 99.9% of the time.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

The Fulltone Clydes and Clyde Deluxes are so sturdily designed and built that used specimens should be less of a worry and more of a deal.

I bought mine used and it's been a champ.

If shopping for a used one, the models made from '08 on up have a newer, proprietary custom-made inductor that is even quieter and fantastic sounding.

I consider myself an expert on the best wah sound for myself.... :laugh: and back in the day that was a ColorSound. I wish I had never jumped on mine and destroyed it because for years I could not find one I liked. Then I got an old Vox and it was very nice, but after some assholes took an axe to our rehearsal space door, I didn't own it any more.

Again..a series of Cry Baby's that never did it for me......then a month or so ago I bought a 535Q.

For the price it is a nice wah. You will really hear the different settings with single coil pickups. I wanted the fancy Vox but it was a special order thing. The basic Vox did not come close to the 535Q.

But check out the big Vox one http://www.voxamps.com/us/pedals/bigbadwah/

Also, Fulltone sells a pot for wah's like the CryBaby that is $25 and is supposed to help the sound of it a lot.

I never liked the sweep of a CryBaby. I do not feel I have limited range of motion on the 535Q because of the way it responds. It is a good deal.

Well you know, a lot of wah pedals feel like you just successfully snuck back in the house at 3 a.m. and you`re stepping on that floorboard that`s about to go CRREEEAAAAKKK!

so loud that the neighbor`s dog starts barking.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I haven't tried any of the newer botique wah pedals, but for standard issue ones, I haven't really found anything I like better than my old Vox wah. (Which I did have wired for true bypass.)

The past couple years though, I've been pretty lazy about bringing pedals to gigs though, so I'll usually just get wah sounds using my fingers and imagination instead of a pedal.

The one thing I miss though, which I thought the vox excelled in, is that sound where the wah pedal is put in one position and just left there as a tone control.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

http://www.thesymbols.net

http://www.jascoguitar.com

Archived