Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hornsby on Leno Tonight!

Phnymiboy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife (who was not born in this country and doesn't know too many of the older musicians) called me over during about the last 90 seconds of the song and told me "it's Eddie Clapton". I said "Who? Oh it's Eric Clapton!"

Then she told me how bad the vocalist was. I watched until the end of the song when Leno mentioned Bruce Hornesby and Eric C.

I only saw Clapton in the parts I watched and it wasn't all that compelling.

I was a bit bemused by her comments, but I just shrugged and said,"he's usually pretty good", and went back to my computer.

Now I'm starting to think there must have been some major "suckiness" going on there.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Hornsby is on Jay Leno tonight, Thursday. And oh yeah, some guy named Eric Clapton is playing with him. Nice.

I found the Hornsby/Clapton clip on youtube, it's not deleted after all. It's here:

Hornsby & clapton on jay leno - Space is the place

Re the 'major suckiness': I wouldn't call it that, but it wasn't either of their finest hours either, partly because that song/arrangement wasn't the greatest, nor the mix, in my humble opinion. I don't like to be too critical - after all, they're on Leno playing to an audience of millions, and I'm... not. Still, it wasn't my favourite Hornsby composition. I've enjoyed his work in the past, and I like Clapton, especially early Cream-era. I think the arrangement sounded too busy, exacerbated by the mixing.

Still, it's always nice to watch good players.

Just listened to it, and while I didn't really like it, I didn't mind it. It didn't come off as well because of too many instruments, which made it a little hard to listen to. Hard to fit all that in a mix, all grooving at one dynamic on one chord.

The sax player back there (Bobby Reed) and I've done gigs in the past. They're good players, just doing basic stuff on Leno.

Would've liked to hear Bruce play more too. As for the tune itself, it's not horrible, but...

Check the original (starting at about 6:50).

I can't believe there's not a better video of it on YouTube, but if there is I couldn't find it. Sanborn looks a little out of place in that company. ;)

Bruce's song (version?) sounds completely different - not only in concept and feel, but the lyrics are different. I don't think it's a cover of the Sun Ra tune, it sounds like a different song. Perhaps it was written as an homage to Sun Ra.

Damn. I ignored this thread up until now, not a real fan of either Hornsby or Clapton, and since the digital TV switchover, I lost all the broadcast channels except PBS. But, how strange has the world gotten when there's a Sun Ra tribute on prime time network TV? At least I hope it's a tribute, if Hornsby thought it was an original idea, I like him even less than before.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

From allmusic.com:

Composed By

Collier, JV/Sonny Emory/Hornsby, B.R.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

We don't get Leno over here but more often than not I change the channel when Letterman has his musical feature for the last segment.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived