Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hornsby on Leno Tonight!

Phnymiboy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the Promega 3. More info here.

I had the Leno show on, but volume way down as people sleeping nearby...I would need to hear that Hornsby song again to decide if I dig it or not. On first listen, sounded a bit busy with the drums and some other kazoo-like sound. Sax with FX? Synth? Vocal FX? Not really sure, but there was some kind of buzzy counter melody that was a bit distracting.

The other guitar player singing backups received a lot more camera time than Clapton.

I am generally a Hornsby fan, but have not checked out his new stuff at all. I will need to do this.

Regards,

Eric

I was disappointed with the performance. You could barely hear the vocals. You could barely hear the keys. You could hear the drums, Clapton's solo, and a cacophony of sound.

No disrepect to Clapton, but I think this is an odd pairing. I'm trying to imagine Clapton taking Methany's place on Harbor Lights, or any cut on Spirit Trail, and I just don't see it.

I sort of dug it. The groove was strong, kinda hip hoppy. The bass player and drummer were slammin'. The mix did blow, too much drums has mentioned, but maybe they meant for the drums to be out front like that to get that highly rhythmic effect. It was more 16th note busy, not the typical straight 8th stuff I'm used to hearing BH play.

I thought his voice sounded very cool. I haven't listened in depth to all his records, but I'd never heard that vocal color from him before.

Clapton sounded like himself, he wasn't playing a ton of notes so it was a nice contrast to the rhythm section.

The show is beyond lame though, I'll give it to Christmas. Those guest comedy skits are certainly a barometer for the continued dumbing down pop culture mentality.

Just sorry two of my buds lost their gig--Trombonist Matt Finders and Trumpeter Kye Palmer. Matt and Tenor player Ralph Moore had been there since Day 1 so they made some dough but Kye just got in on the tail end of it.

I've watched 3 episodes so far, 2,3,& 4. Next week when the CSI family begins their new season, Leno will go by the wayside for me. Any time you have Robin Williams having to severely censor himself, you've got problems.

I didn't care for the Hornsby song at all. I'm used to hearing him cook on piano, but on that song, I wondered why he even had the piano there. He played it only with the left hand when Clapton was soloing, and it was inaudible. And did I notice a lyric cheet sheet on the GEM? National TV and you can't remember the lyrics? Lame

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

My take on the performance and Leno's new show in general:

1) Was VERY interested to see them play, but of course I wanted more piano in there than Bruce gave us, and I agree with many that sometimes it was a cacophony rather than good-sounding music, and it sure would have been nice to hear the lyrics a bit more clearly.

2) I've always liked Jay Leno, and I much preferred his Tonight Show to Letterman, but so far in obvious attempts to make this show a bit different, it's falling flat. Comedian Jim Norton's bit the other night was really bad, and D.L. Hughley's last night wasn't much better.

3) Leno doesn't seem as excited as he did when greeting the audience. He used to say, "WELCOME to the Tonight Show!" Now, maybe it's just because he's a bit humble, he doesn't throw the name of the show out there and just doesn't seem as enthusiastic about it.

4) I used to like hearing the closing theme of The Tonight Show (I think written by Branford Marsalis), and I sometimes play it because I think it's a cool tune, but now he cuts right to the local news with no outro.

5) I think NBC made a big mistake. The Tonight Show is a tradition, and Leno had the show on top for years. Conan O'Brien just doesn't bring the same quality to it in my opinion.

6) I think the only way Jay's new show works is if he pretty much exactly duplicates what he did on The Tonight Show. The two chairs with no desk is weird...needs a desk, and it's really ok to do Headlines before the guests rather than trying to switch it up by having it after the guests.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

6) I think the only way Jay's new show works is if he pretty much exactly duplicates what he did on The Tonight Show. The two chairs with no desk is weird...needs a desk, and it's really ok to do Headlines before the guests rather than trying to switch it up by having it after the guests.
Dude, it worked for Arsenio to have no desk... didn't it? ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Dude, it worked for Arsenio to have no desk... didn't it? ;)

Pretty sure that's just a joke, but obviously Arsenio's show didn't last very long, and Jay isn't hip enough to sit there without a desk in front of him.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Missed the performance last night, but just heard the tune on the web site for the new show. Interesting, different, busy tune, but the vocals/groove still sounded recognizably "Bruce" to my ears. The grand piano largely seemed to be window dressing. Even though I'm a GEM fanboy, I wonder why he just didn't come out with the piano, as he appeared to be using the Promega 3 for a piano patch(?). I'm also wondering if Eric Clapton chewed up what would have normally been a piano solo or two....and what was up with that bass clarinet?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Interesting thing I saw on the show - Hornsby's organ player, JT Thomas, actually playing a real organ. All I've ever seen him use is an XK-2 and I've never understood why he didn't at least move up to the newer generation of clones.
XK-3c, FP-4, and an 01/W in the closet

I hate I missed that even if it is getting a bad report. I love most of Hornby's recordings.

So...Clapton is trying out keyboard replacements? Winwood then Hornsby....who's next?

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I hate I missed that even if it is getting a bad report. I love most of Hornby's recordings.

So...Clapton is trying out keyboard replacements? Winwood then Hornsby....who's next?

Day

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but this was pretty much Clapton joining Hornsby not the other way around. I suppose unless you meant Clapton is hoping to have Bruce join him down the road. I don't see the two as a good match personally, but I know nothing.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

The paper on the keyboard could have been the form... with Clapton "sitting in" if you can call it that, there were likely some late arrangement changes.

I've always been a major fan of Hornsby but tend to fall off the bandwagon during his messy spells. Looks like another one, all right.

Here for the gear.

Archived