Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Q: How do you get a guitarist to turn down his amp?

Eric Jx

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, I've been a long time VH fan, but that is one of my favorite videos of all time. First laugh of the day! :)

P.S. It's hard to get the guitar player to turn down when he's deaf, and they often are after years of aural self-abuse.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wonder if we go lurking over on the guitar forums, what are the guitarists saying about us?

Well that's easy..."Don't they realize no one wants to hear the keyboard?" "If they want to play leads, they should learn to play guitar." "Our keyboard player needs to turn down."

Guitarists say the keyboard player is too loud. Keyboard players say the guitarist is too loud. The drummer says the bass player is too loud. The bass player says the drummer is too loud. Everyone tells the singer to sing louder (or more powerfully).

The only one who is right is the keyboard player saying the guitarist is too loud. :)

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I wonder if we go lurking over on the guitar forums, what are the guitarists saying about us?

Well, over on the guitar forum, they did have something to say about the 'KB Player Respect' thread. ;)

In fairness, the guitarists and guitar players I run across want to play with strong KB players. I'm sure style of music makes a difference in that regard too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Well, over on the guitar forum, they did have something to say about the 'KB Player Respect' thread. ;)

In fairness, the guitarists and guitar players I run across want to play with strong KB players. I'm sure style of music makes a difference in that regard too. :cool:

The better ones do what you are saying.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I'm cringing through songs and afterwards the drummer comes out with "that's the best we ever sounded on that song". Then I have to contradict him and say, "sorry.....this, this and this was off, we need to do it again"

Sounds like your ear is better than your drummer's also. I can't tell if this is a typical problem. If it is, and the rest of the band isn't at the level you are ... you have three choices:

1 Live with it.

2 Continue to point out errors, and risk becoming the schoolteacher/ogre of the band.

3 Wait for them to grow up.

4 Find a new group

I think the guitar volume is indirectly related to why I'm the only one hearing the clashing chords. The guitarist and I are on opposite sides of the rehersal room. His amp is so loud that he probably can't hear anybody but himself. I'm right next to my amp, so I can hear myself ok, but it isn't too loud that I can't hear the other bandmates. I generally don't try to match the guitarist's volume because we'd totally bury the singer, and she should have priority.

I think the guitar volume is indirectly related to why I'm the only one hearing the clashing chords. The guitarist and I are on opposite sides of the rehersal room. His amp is so loud that he probably can't hear anybody but himself. I'm right next to my amp, so I can hear myself ok, but it isn't too loud that I can't hear the other bandmates. I generally don't try to match the guitarist's volume because we'd totally bury the singer, and she should have priority.

Sometimes it seems like the guitar is louder across the stage than it is in front of the amp. I've noticed this on many occasions - they seem very directional. If you are right on top of it (and off-axis) and turn it up to your liking, it will likely be much louder 20' away and on-axis. Placement/positioning is critical.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sometimes it seems like the guitar is louder across the stage than it is in front of the amp. I've noticed this on many occasions - they seem very directional.

It is. Many years ago, in one band I was in, we used to have problems with the guitar being too loud directly in front of the stage, even with no guitar in FOH. For one gig I convinced the guitarist to raise his amp close to head level and our stage balance was beautiful. However, he thought it looked silly having his Marshal so high and we were back to normal for the next gig.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

However, he thought it looked silly having his Marshal so high and we were back to normal for the next gig.

Put it on top of a dummy 4x12!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That's what he used. A real 4x12 with a 100W head. If dummies were available then (1984) I was not aware of it, and if he'd added another cab I'm sure he would have wanted it hooked up to the head as well. The other reason he gave for not wanting it up high was that it didn't sound as good at lower volume. I suggested a power soak but that never happened either.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

VAN HALEN VIDEO

Oh my Lord!! It was like watching a train wreck. I had to watch the whole thing!

I only remember hearing an audio excerpt of this before. The full video with the long dramatic intro and lights makes it incredibly funny. Spinal Tap can't touch this. :thu:

I couldn't get much past two minutes. Hard to believe that it goes on for 6:36. Dave's posting implies that it actually got Eddie to turn his guitar down, but I couldn't hang long enough to find out. Given the same situation, I probably would not play the first note, and definitely not the second. I'd be clear of the stage by the third, even if it meant jumping in front of a train. I can't imaging blowing chunks like that for six minutes. I can't imagine doing show biz at that level and choosing karaoke over hiring a keyboard player.

--wmp

I'm not surprised that the guitar player didn't know theory, but more concerning is that you were playing "Borderline!"

(j/k)

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I'm not surprised that the guitar player didn't know theory, but more concerning is that you were playing "Borderline!"

(j/k)

80's tribute band so we have to do Madonna. We also take turns choosing songs to add to our setlist and one of our previous singers made this choice. Believe it or not, it actually goes over pretty well live (with the ladies) so we kept it.

That's what he used. A real 4x12 with a 100W head. If dummies were available then (1984) I was not aware of it, and if he'd added another cab I'm sure he would have wanted it hooked up to the head as well. The other reason he gave for not wanting it up high was that it didn't sound as good at lower volume. I suggested a power soak but that never happened either.

Power soaks don't sound anything like playing loud only quiter. The dynamic effects of the speaker are critical (unfortunately). They can be useful, but NOT for just playing quieter.

The best way to get a guitarist to play less ear-bleedingly loud is to get him to set up with the amp pointing straight at his head -- ideally, on the floor and angled up. Small amps are best, too, miked as needed. Unfortunately, many hard rockers won't stand for either of these solutions.

There's a guy who hosts a couple of the local blues jams, bringing gear and playing MC as well as harp. For years, I kept telling him that he needed amp stands to angle those amps up. I'm delighted that he now does that consistently. Sure, the blues jams are usually still too loud, but with far fewer truly blistering sessions.

OH MAN, That Van Halen video is absolutely hysterical! These real-life videos are far funnier than any of those contrived 'shredder' videos on YouTube.

Can you imagine how much crap we'd get if we pulled that on one of our gigs?

Get a load of this guitar player's ego.

CLICK LINK

Aw com'on. Can't be real. Reminds me of the thread about a free B3 from Craigslist. Come and pick it up! Yeah sure. Still unsure how these guys derive pleasure from that sort of thing. Created simply for the reactions of the viewers, but how does one monitor that?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

At a club (125 seat) I play in (house band) they mic everthing .. it's up to the stage volume whether it is used or not. Most (95%) pro level guitar players are good at controling their stage volume and are un-muted so they run though the FoH. I guess that is part of being a pro ... IMHO

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

Get a load of this guitar player's ego.

CLICK LINK

Aw com'on. Can't be real. Reminds me of the thread about a free B3 from Craigslist. Come and pick it up! Yeah sure. Still unsure how these guys derive pleasure from that sort of thing. Created simply for the reactions of the viewers, but how does one monitor that?

That is really funny!

If it's not real then-Oh well...still I enjoyed it! :)

This guy should just buy backing tracks and go solo.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

While there aren't train wrecks of this magnitude, if you watch VH videos from that same tour, it's right in line with the cacophony that EVH has been doing lately. I'm pretty convinced he's close to deaf.

Besides, those shredder videos completely replace the audio, while the Greensboro Jump sounds like a camera at the show. I'm not saying it couldn't be fake, but it's a lot more work.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The new guitar player in my band doesn't play loud enough at times either. He's using a big Peavey setup- tube head and a 4x12 cabinet- something that could get very loud. It's amazing what a real pro can do. He doesn't have to be blisteringly loud to get his "tone" like so many others need to do. Maybe 2 pedals on the floor yet he can go from clean to crunch without touching anything but his guitar. I have to have some of him pumped into my monitor so I can hear his solos. We mic everything so our drummer, who mixes from the stage with in ears, can adjust him and it's made life much easier having someone play at a decent volume. He knows his theory and is a very technical player but has great feel and listening ability as well. You can call out Bb#9b13 and he can play it, in any position. Nice.

Our old guy had the too loud thing going on- because he used a 2x12 or a 1x12 combo amp, set it on the floor 3' behind him aiming at his feet, and then said he couldn't hear himself or get his tone unless he turned up. We tried getting him to use an angled amp stand, put it up on a chair, anything, but he was adamant about the amp placement and just didn't get it. He also was one who could play great by ear but didn't know the names of any chords. Anything that was not a normal chord- minor 7th was about as far as he could get, was called an "augamented" chord. That's 4 syllables on aug-a-men-ted. I'd have to spend time playing each note of the chord so he could pick them out, one note at a time, one chord at a time, and this was after he'd "learned" the song at home.

LOL at the VH video, that's pathetic!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived