Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord wins the clone war at Merriweather

Jeff_D_in_MD

I saw the "Route 29 Revue" concert at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland USA today. 6 bands played: 2 had a Nord clone, 2 had vintage B3s, and 2 had no keyboard at all. "Justin Jones" (local band) used a Nord Stage Compact. The Felice Brothers (New York) used what I believe was a 2-manual Nord C1 nestled in a wooden frame that gave it a vintage look. Grace Potter used a B3 (talented, lovely lady in a long dress wailing on the Hammond--quite fetching). Brian Mitchell played a B3 with Levon Helm's band. Old Crow Medecine Show brought the keyboardist from Felice Brothers on stage with them.

In short, no clones other than Nord in view. In case anybody's keeping score.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RED sells in Maryland?

Perhaps on this forum there are several who bought RED (it was so light and, RED), tried hard to like it, moved on (in frustration) unconvinced and dissatisfied, and still are seeking the real thing (in a lighter version, of course.)

If Hammond made a lighter XK3c...

In case anybody's keeping score.

I'm keeping score.

I say that I'm not.

But I am. :)

I like to go out to hear bands to see what equipment they're using. We can talk and talk about this stuff on the forum, but where the rubber meets the road is in the clubs and such.

What I want to know, Jeff, is what is the 2nd most popular sound - after the B3 - that people use on the Nords? Do you hear more Wurlitzer EP or Rhodes (or something else)? How often do you hear the Nord acoustic piano sounds? What about the clav? Is anybody using the clav sounds? And if they're using the Electro, is anyone seeing the Electro 3 out there in the wild?

What kind of monitoring system are they using - standard stage monitors, a keyboard amp, speakers and a rack, MotionSound, or what?

How many bands are using in-ear monitors instead of stage monitors? And how many are playing with backing tracks for God's sake?

So yeah... I'm keeping score. :cool:

Rock on. :rawk:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Funny how that works. I've seen about 20 different acts this summer.

Gear-spotting, I've only seen one (1) Nord. KB player used an EP sound.

The KB sounded fine coming through that particular PA system. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

by Rocketman:

My my, how spoiled we've become. It sounds like you never had the "pleasure" of hauling around a REAL B3 and a couple of Leslie cabinets in the old days. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

As a teenager, my gigging rig was a Hammond M3/MXR Phase 100 into a Biamp (brand name) 12ch mixer into a Peeveme monitor amp into a JBL 4560 cabinet (that big square block with 1x12!), and a Fender Rhodes Suitcase 73 with an MXR Distortion+, ElectroHarmonix Big Muff, MXR flanger, EH Dr. Q, EX Small Stone phase shifter, Vox CryBaby, and MXR 10band Eq. THAT was a heavy rig. The Rhodes half of my rig fit in my 75 Maverick with 3 on the tree; the Hammond half fit into my guitar player's pickup truck.

It was a while before I got my first leslie.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I see various Nords all the time, but then again, they are easy to spot.

Grace Potter is awesome. Killer band, killer groove, killer voice.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What is the point of this thread is what I am trying to figure out?? :rolleyes:

It's just to piss you off ;)

That "C1 in a wood case to look vintage" (paraphrased) sounds like it could have been a Traditional XK-System. Unless all those buttons were visible.

It sounds like you never had the "pleasure" of hauling around a REAL B3 and a couple of Leslie cabinets in the old days. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Know what Mike? I'd really like to see some pics of you and that B3 and those Leslies.

Got any? :)

Tom

PS - Thanks for not telling my wife about... well, u know. :rolleyes::cool:

:D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

How often do you hear the Nord acoustic piano sounds?
Almost every gig I play...

Yeah... and I've heard that they sound great in MONO dripping in speecy-spicy BBQ sauce. :laugh:

http://www.idahoeats.com/images/stories/restaurants/bbq-ribs.jpg

How often do you hear the Nord acoustic piano sounds?
Almost every gig I play...

Yeah... and I've heard that they sound great in MONO dripping in speecy-spicy BBQ sauce. :laugh:

http://www.idahoeats.com/images/stories/restaurants/bbq-ribs.jpg

Now you're talking!
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

by Rocketman:

My my, how spoiled we've become. It sounds like you never had the "pleasure" of hauling around a REAL B3 and a couple of Leslie cabinets in the old days. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

It seems that some players today have forgotten (or not had the pleasure as Mike says) about the transition from real tonewheel Hammond console (300-400 lbs) to the first generation of clonewheels and "portable" combo organs (Crumar T2 at ~ 100 lbs.) all with accompanying Leslie cabinets at 125 lbs., to where we are today. 40 lbs for something that sounds as good as the XK-3C is fantastic in my book.

Sorry if this thread had insufficient gravitas. I noticed the presence of Nords because I have one and was pleased to note that other players, who were successful enough to play at Merriweather instead of a dive bar, had made similar gear choices.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Ian McLagan uses a Stage. 'Nuff said. ;)

Seriously, they are not just for "bar bands" anymore. I see players use them all the time at various levels. The big acts that don't have roadies. Must be nice.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Shoot yeah, if I had roadies I'd have Benmont's rig, or Chuck's, or

Archived