Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lowest note ever

anderz

Not to kill the mood, because there's a lot of hilarious stuff here, but to be semi-serious for a moment, can we agree that to be a "note", it has to be in the audible range? I mean, the lowest "note" in the galaxy isn't a note any more than orange is a note. It's just a really slow cycle of pressure fluctuations. 20-20kHz, and probably not even that for most people.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to kill the mood, ...

Too late, Dan. You killed the mood. But don't worry ITGITC or somebody will get it back.

Yes, you're right. The reason for all of the joking is because the whole idea is ludicrous. Like suggesting that if somebody is dribbling a basketball 1.72 times a second they're dribbling a concert "A" eight octaves below A440.

That's written as an F#, of course, (bottom line, alto clef) if you're writing for a standard Eb basketball.

Larry.

I did a little math abuse on that low Bb, 57 octaves below middle C. That works out to .00000000000000161346 Hz, which would take 619786049855589 seconds, or 19,639,834 years to complete one cycle.

Speaking in my capacity as a piano-tuner, I can only be thankful that a piano doesn't have that sort of range.

Apart from needing to have unfeasibly long arms to reach the bottom key, imagine having to wait 19 million years

to check whether the string is in tune?

And worse - what if it wasn't & you had to re-tune it? :P

That'd be 38 million years of my life wasted. :(

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

can we agree that to be a "note", it has to be in the audible range?
No, sorry, I don't agree. The article is about pressure waves in a gas, which constitutes "sound." A "note" is merely the label attached to a particular frequency.

Besides, maybe it's not audible to humans, but how do you know it's not audible to some other race of beings?

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Besides, maybe it's not audible to humans, but how do you know it's not audible to some other race of beings?

Because there aren't any.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The aliens can transpose their instruments in 20 million year intervals. So, they can hear tunes in real time. It just sounds like a DX7 EP detuned several octaves. Still ballads though. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I did a little math abuse on that low Bb, 57 octaves below middle C. That works out to .00000000000000161346 Hz, which would take 619786049855589 seconds, or 19,639,834 years to complete one cycle.

imagine having to wait 19 million years to check whether the string is in tune?

And worse - what if it wasn't & you had to re-tune it? :P

That'd be 38 million years of my life wasted. :(

*Afterthought - I could probably make the time up in the high treble section. :thu:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

That's written as an F#, of course, (bottom line, alto clef) if you're writing for a standard Eb basketball.

Larry.

I don't care who y'are, that there's funny.
+1

Though, I never could find an Eb basketball. I always had to settle for the Bb ones.

Because there aren't any.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not suggesting UFOs and Roswell and all that b.s. I'm just saying the universe is so big--"vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big" as Douglas Adams put it in the Hitchiker's Guide--and light travel times consequently so long that it remains unclear whether there is (or was, or will be) other sentient life somewhere within 15 billion light years of here.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Archived