Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can someone tell me the chords?

Shogun

I'm a drummer trying to figure out the keyboard chords in Rush's 'Distant Early Warning' for my bass player. I only need the first three chords of the song when the Organ/synths kick in at 0:27. I've watched someone on youtube demo it but not sure if he's doing it right. He's doin CDG-CDF#-CDE which just doesn't seem theoretically correct to me..but I'm not a keyboard player. It does sound like it though. Can someone help me out?

Here's a link to the video in case you don't have the song.

distant early warning

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is what I love about this forum. A drummer with only four previous posts to his name comes on and asks whether we can help a third party with some chords. And up pops someone like SK who actually helps. How many boards are there where you could expect such a response? SK, you're a gent!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Using your notation style: ACG-ADF#-ACE or Am7 D(triad ) Am. But I'd play the first chord ACEG. Maybe they left out (E) the fifth to be 'original'.

The other notes you're hearing are bleeding from other instruments. Good luck with that.

Compadre, I beg to differ

The first chord is ACDG

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

This is what I love about this forum. A drummer with only four previous posts to his name comes on and asks whether we can help a third party with some chords. And up pops someone like SK who actually helps. How many boards are there where you could expect such a response? SK, you're a gent!

Keyboard players, drummers, bass players, harmonica players...we're all musicians right..nothing wrong with helpin a fellow musician out right?

Thanks for the help guys!

oh..and as for searching first..i did do a search first here and found nothing on that song..it was also hard for me to find anything on the web either...so i figured go straight to the source.

Thanks all!

Jon

The Analog Kids : Detroit's Rush Tribute

Hey thanks Aidan. Hard to ignore a drummer who's figuring out chords for a bass player.

Compadre, I beg to differ

The first chord is ACDG

There was a D in there - I thought being covered by another instrument.

I guess I could double check it, but I'll just take your word for it. ;)

there ya go.

Never debate personal preference or my ear wax

:D

[70's Songwriter]

harmonica players...we're all musicians right..
Whoa...let's not go TOO far now...

thats true, especially that Stevie guy, funny last name and he's blind

[70's Songwriter]

I actually took the bullet and listened again. I still think the D dominates and is played by another patch, guitar or synth. It rings differently from the triads on the keyboard.

But fortunately either way, if the D is doubled or not - it doesn't matter. :bor:

I actually took the bullet and listened again. I still think the D dominates and is played by another patch, guitar or synth. It rings differently from the triads on the keyboard.

But fortunately either way, if the D is doubled or not - it doesn't matter. :bor:

ACG sounds good but is a tad weak, IMO

Its a fair call to say the guitarist( dam guitarists) is adding the D

in his chord work

Geddy , what you say ? Its your right hand

http://cearensesinternacionais.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/geddy-lee1.jpg

[70's Songwriter]

Archived