Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The new LogicStudio is here!

EricG

Not impossible, but difficult.

And just because something is hard to enforce, doesn't mean it should be or is okay to be violated. ;)

yeah but if we lived our life by exact rules we wouldn't cross roads until the green man said so, or record TV programs on video and give them to friends, resell CDs we bought, download mp3s, etc. etc. I'm afraid I'm not the kind of person who obeys those rules, and to be truthful I don't know anyone who does... not even pro musicians, professors or anyone... but I think I'm a good person overall... and no I don't park in handicap areas or eat at Chuckie Cheese (such insult would be lost on 99% of people outside US anyway SteadyB...)

But at least you agree on my point about academic licensing so you ain't all bad ;)

Actually, I think the main point about academic licenses is probably to stop sellers on ebay selling them as full versions...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to get away from the controversy and move the focus back to the new product itself. There is a bunch of new preview videos here.

I really dig the "Convert to Sampler Track" feature, which gives you a heck of a lot of flexibility to manipulate audio by essentially converting it into midi data.

I think the Flex Tool is going to be a great addition, too - I often prefer to record solo piano stuff without the tyranny of the metronome but occasionally I wish I'd recorded it to the beat so I can develop an idea into a larger scale track. This should be the answer.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Yeah, I was surprised too when I heard that Logic 9 does not come with printed manuals. It does not come with PDF files either.

Paging, kanker.

Kevin, can you come to the front desk please?

Best,

Geoff

I'm on the road in Europe right now, and have been for a couple of weeks. I get home Friday. First thing I do is go to the soul food joint to get some good food, then I roll up to the Apple Store to buy my upgrade....

In other words, I know less than most of you guys right now. :(

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I've heard that it does not come with PDFs, you use Apple Help or read this

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, I was surprised too when I heard that Logic 9 does not come with printed manuals. It does not come with PDF files either.

Paging, kanker.

Kevin, can you come to the front desk please?

Best,

Geoff

This is awesome... Orren Merton helped prevent me from pulling my hair out when I had an issue between Logic 8 and my MOTU 828MkII. And the other Logic Power author is here!

The online "manual" for Logic 9 is just the help system...

I have no cause to bother either Kevin or Orren right now but I'm more enthusiastic about upgrading to Logic 9, knowing there's an alternative to the help system.

I have my own view on audio software and what is happening today, but I've heard from some pretty serious pros in the industry that many of their compatriots using Logic are moving back two versions because of critical unfixed bugs that were ignored in the last version and have migrated into the newest one, and that a whole flood of people are being sucked in to the new version because of the bells and whistles, but some critical functionality issues are still unresolved. Not being a Logic user I don't have an opinion, this is more of a question about how you guys see it. (though I absolutely trust my sources.)

I am a bit dismayed by the headlong rush into featuritis that has plagued DAWs for the last couple of years. I'd sure like to see them doing what they say they do today rather than see them adding 700 other features that might or might not work or that work maybe, sometimes, in the right situation.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I have my own view on audio software and what is happening today, but I've heard from some pretty serious pros in the industry that many of their compatriots using Logic are moving back two versions because of critical unfixed bugs that were ignored in the last version and have migrated into the newest one, and that a whole flood of people are being sucked in to the new version because of the bells and whistles, but some critical functionality issues are still unresolved. Not being a Logic user I don't have an opinion, this is more of a question about how you guys see it. (though I absolutely trust my sources.)

I am a bit dismayed by the headlong rush into featuritis that has plagued DAWs for the last couple of years. I'd sure like to see them doing what they say they do today rather than see them adding 700 other features that might or might not work or that work maybe, sometimes, in the right situation.

Maybe this is why Propellerheads have launched Record. A no-frills way into DAW with timestretch facility...?

I have to confess I haven't scratched the surface of Logic... it doesn't seem that intuitive to me, compared with Cubase/Ableton/Reason etc..... maybe that's why I'm in no rush to upgrade...

Yep, Im still on my G5 2.5 too....AND IM still running LP 7.2.3...

I tried 8 at a shop...actually didnt make me go out and upgrade..

but it took me sooo long to learn 7 and Im so comfortable using it everyday..

Ive even considered an intelmac and running 7.2.3 on it, which I understand runs very well...

I pretty much track it/print it and move on so I don't have a lot of Vi's open at once. I hate this because if I wanna make a change it's a bit a of a pain. I've got tc powercore to handle some plugins, so I can do my jingle gig easily with the G5. It's when I try to do anything with vsl or play that I really run into trouble. Everything almost comes to a halt.

PLAY gives my G5 a bit of a fit too...And the Intakt player..I generally do a dummy trk bounce, then open a new project and only open PLAY...do my trks, then throw them into my original work..dont crash that way..

Now you know why Im still on 7.2.3....works great..

...Propellerheads have launched Record. A no-frills way into DAW with timestretch facility...?

I have to confess I haven't scratched the surface of Logic... it doesn't seem that intuitive to me, ...

I did not find Logic very logical when I tried it, but like I always say, DAW software compare to tennis shoes.... you like Nikes, I like Reboks, the next guy likes Adias, but somehow we all manage to get down the road.

RME has a great app that works rather like a tape deck and comes free with many of their interfaces, as a part pf the DigiCheck suite of tools (kinda like a Windows version of SprectraFoo, only free...) called DigiCheck Record. I've used it and it could not be simpler or easier, but you need to import it into an editor to do any traditional DAW work. Or you can just play the tracks our through your analog gear and mix down the old-fashioned way.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived