Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We got our new Rhodes Mark 7

Saturday night at around 11PM and where was I? Setting up the new Rhodes Mark 7 73 that Joe Brandstetter drove up here on his way from L.A. to San Francisco. It's got a stereo speaker platform under it and is set up in our soundroom.

I've been keeping up with the threads on this forum about the new Rhodes, Joe B, and the enthusiasts and detractors of both. Now, having gotten my first real dose of extended hands-on time with this beast, I really think that you haven't played it until you've played it.

So come play it.

If you're in the San Francisco Bay area, and would like to try it out, give your opinion, and possibly have that opinion quoted on a video on our site and/or in the print review we're writing, drop me a private message or email us at keyboard@musicplayer.com.

I'm gonna try and set up two or three "play dates" where people can come in and spend some time with it. The first step is to get an idea of how many people want to show up, how many can, and how compact a handful of dates I can nail things down to to keep it all manageable. There may be some sort of nominal screening and sign-up process to address our parent company's minimal but legitimate security concerns, but other than that, I'm picturing a mellow community hang.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There may be some sort of nominal screening and sign-up process to address our parent company's minimal but legitimate security concerns...

Ooooof. :P

I was on the phone with Delta. Then I read that line.

I knew there'd be a catch. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I really think that you haven't played it until you've played it.
Thats it? Thats all your gonna give us?

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Gas,

Given your "Grand Poobah of Posting" status, you're pre-cleared in my book. :)

It's just that if I get 200 people who want to do this, I'm going to have to come up with some kind of system.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Mogut,

Heck no, that's not all we're gonna give you. We're working on a review, more vids, and like I said, I'd be interested in members of the Keyboard community playing it and telling us what they think.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Bring it down to L.A. and you'll have plenty of people who want to play it. Except Leblanc who already got to use one on national television....

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Steve, what a gracious offer ... and what a groundbreaking thing to do. :thu::thu:

Being on the left behind coast, I am not going to make it (although I am so-o tempted by the prospect of a keyboard corner hang). I'll enjoy it vicariously through you guys. So um, who's going?

Looking forward to your review ...

Jerry

Yeah, I emailed Stephen too. What an incredibly cool thing to offer.

I've also offered to SF to bring my Acme Low B-1s to this shindig to let guys hear them if they haven't had the chance yet. Who knows, maybe KB Mag would consider doing a review of the units at some future date - their call.

Makes me wonder how long into the future it will be before I actually put my fingers on the rhodes7 being that im from the midwest and probably will never buy this. I would definitely never buy this blind... seems like they expect customers to do so

Someone ought to have this thing down the road, somewhere, somehow... prolly be a few years before one crosses my path :(

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

There may be some sort of nominal screening and sign-up process to address our parent company's minimal but legitimate security concerns, but other than that, I'm picturing a mellow community hang.

A Rhodes proficiency exam?

Prepare the following:

- "Palladium" and "A Remark You Made" (extra credit if you bring your own Bi-Phase)

- "Spain", include 2 choruses of Chick's solo

- "Minute By Minute"

- Demonstrate your ability to comp in the style of Richard Tee

- Victor Feldman's solo on "Black Cow"

- Any 3 songs from the Stevie Wonder catalog

Let's see if I understand this. The CEO of the new Rhodes hand delivered a ... new Rhodes to Keyboard Magazine. I'm guessing that new Rhodes was given a first rate going over by Joe Brandstetter's techs.

Wouldn't it have really been more accurate to have someone anonymously purchase a Rhodes from a music store and use that specific keyboard? Isn't that how it's normally done ... or not? I mention that because the only review I've seen online was one where the purchaser supposedly bought and received one delivered through a mail delivery service ... and he was not a happy camper.

If Consumer Reports were reviewing an LCD TV made by Sony or Philips, they would have bought one anonymously ... and that's how they do it, right? Considering the amount of tweaking possible in an electrical mechanical keyboard (actually mostly mechanical in this case), the final review from Keyboard Magazine could leave something to be desired.

It would seem the deck is already stacked. Does Keyboard Magazine have an adversarial role in this or is this another ... amazing video review?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Wouldn't it have really been more accurate to have someone anonymously purchase a Rhodes from a music store and use that specific keyboard?

If Consumer Reports were reviewing an LCD TV made by Sony or Philips

they would have to be in a store to do that.

BTW my brother bought a Philips TV and it's been nothing but a nightmare.

If you'd like a rank amateur to try out this Rhodes I'd be happy to volunteer my services :eek:

I'm in San Jose :wave:

There may be some sort of nominal screening and sign-up process to address our parent company's minimal but legitimate security concerns, but other than that, I'm picturing a mellow community hang.

Prepare the following:

- "Palladium" and "A Remark You Made" (extra credit if you bring your own Bi-Phase)

- "Minute By Minute"

Ummmm, I could probably play Mary Had A Little Lamb. In C. With my right hand only.

Does that count? :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

The inimitable Dave Horne wrote:

The CEO of the new Rhodes hand delivered a ... new Rhodes to Keyboard Magazine. I'm guessing that new Rhodes was given a first rate going over by Joe Brandstetter's techs.

Wouldn't it have really been more accurate to have someone anonymously purchase a Rhodes from a music store and use that specific keyboard? Isn't that how it's normally done ... or not? I mention that because the only review I've seen online was one where the purchaser supposedly bought and received one delivered through a mail delivery service ... and he was not a happy camper.

Dave, first let me address how it's normally done. Manufacturers send us stuff, in the box, usually via FedEx Ground or UPS, so a product like a keyboard workstation pretty much gets the same bumpy ride it would get if it were shipped to a music store.

In the case of the Rhodes, Joe was making a personal trip up here, so he grabbed one from the factory and it rode from Long Beach to San Francisco in the back of a Honda CRV. It doesn't seem any more or less tweaked than any other new Rhodes I've looked at.

It's natural enough, though, for any manufacturer to be concerned that their new baby make a good impression on reviewers. I also know that since this is a real instrument with lots of moving parts, the company is very concerned about how it's handled during shipping to dealers and direct buyers.

As to the idea that it'd be better to anonymously buy units - in any product category - and review them a point of view more analogous to the real customer experience, I agree entirely.

There are also two publications I know of that are able to do this: Consumer Reports and Cook's Illustrated (the magazine arm of the "America's Test Kitchen" TV show). Both are about WAY more mainstream topics than keyboard playing and music production, and hence enjoy the economy of scale that allows them to operate this way. I believe they're also both non-profit entities, so they get a tax break. If I could figure out the financial model that'd let us go buy a dozen synths and see how they perform after being dropped down the stairs, I'd be all over it.

What we do do at KB, and all the MPN mags, is take the stuff out to bars and studios, record with it, gig with it, and handle it the same way a customer would. That is to say, we *don't* drop it down stairs, set it on fire, or do other "Top Gear" stunts (though, again, that'd be fun as heck if we had the budget), but it gets plenty of use. So if it's not in a condition that reflects the real world real musicians gig and shop in when we take the plastic off, it sure is by the time we're sitting down to write the review.

Now on the subject of Cook's Illustrated, it's most certainly the magazine I wish we could make about keyboards every month. That said, as a fellow editor and Vermonter, I do wish Chris Kimball would tone down the Garrison Keillor wannabe vibe and write editorials that are more about, uh ... food. But I digress...

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

or do other "Top Gear" stunts (though, again, that'd be fun as heck if we had the budget)

Sorry, just had to single this out, and apologies for the OT, but this is absolutely my FAVOURITE show at the moment, even though I'm watching 5- and 6-year-old reruns on "BBC Canada" up here. Absolutely brilliant and more entertaining that 90% of what passes for television programming in North America.

But then, I've always been a fan of British humour. :thu:

I think we should respond to Dave's posts with a Top Gear-ism, like "Some say that his heart ticks like a watch, and that hes confused by stairs... all we know is, he's called Dave Horne!"

Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled program. I'm off to bed. :)

Prepare the following:

- "Minute By Minute"

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend. Maybe it's because I live on the other side of the big pond. :( I envy you guys, I truly do. I'm a big rhodes fan. Make a nice test run for all of us who won't be able to be there.

I would like to add a bit of Joe Sample to the proficiency exam. Something like this:

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

A little of both, methinks.

I'm in the group of people that owned them in the past, was never thrilled with them, and am indifferent to a new one (leaving aside the antics of the owner).

And there probably are not more than a handful of KCers in Frisco.

Moe

---

Archived