Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 tier stand

mul

hey guys. hope y,all can help me. my current setup is this - korg m50 to da bottom, triton 76 in da middle and hammond xk1 on da top. can any one recommend a 3 tier stand suitable for me. i play sitting down and need to up grade my current system as my stage footprint is too large ( x stand for the stage piano and a quick lock 'a' frame that i bought from a music store and altered to suit my needs!) cheers guys - mul
Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my one recommendation is to change up the keyboards. You realize how top heavy that stand will be?

I'm currently using the Triton Pro (76) on the bottom with the M50 on top. I can't imagine how unstable my stand would be if it were the other way around!

I'm a pretty rough player so I would have the Hammond on the bottom (ESPECIALLY if you gliss a lot), the Triton in the middle, and the M50 on top.

My 2 tier stand is a Z stand with a 2nd tier added to the accessory bar.

My 3 tier is an A-Frame which is as sturdy as scaffolding. But it no longer leaves the studio.

A friend of mine used to use the Ultimate Apex stand for his 3 tier until a gust of wind knocked it over and broke it into pieces (with his keyboards attached unfortunately).

Make sure you get something a good bump won't knock over.

-Mc

Every 3-tiered stand I've ever had has fallen to pieces on short order (under two years).

Some people add a third tier to their Ultimate Apex stands though. That might be a good way to go, if vertical separation and height are to your liking.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I triple tier my Ultimate stand sometimes, but I don't know if it would be feasible sitting down. I've seen Steve Weingart do it though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

What a timely thread! I just bought the Standtastic 103KSB three-tier stand. It takes a bit to get it set up (mainly figuring out what height and angle everything needs to be) but once it's set, it's a breeze.

And yes, it can easily hold the boards you listed and it's rock solid. Best keyboard stand I've ever used, bar none. Chickity check it:

http://www.organissimo.org/pub/studio/100_4230.jpg

That's my current set-up in the studio for a project I'm working on right now. Everything is solid... no wobbling. It's really a great stand. I can't recommend it highly enough.

+1 for Standtastic. I've owned a 2 tier 45" model for the past two years. Rock solid, plenty of space for pedals underneath and looks great. Only complaint is the very large footprint.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Ditto on the Standtastic Stand! I use a piece of Plywood covered in a very tight loop carpet to sit the stand on. This gives a solid base to anchor things like power strips and volume & sustain pedals, and also helps me stake out a claim on the available stage space . . :D

It's easy to make slight adjustments in keyboard position or to make major set-up changes - all you need is an allen wrench (or two), a tape measure, and some patience.

I was going to get the standtastic until I found out it you have to adjust it to the width of your smallest keyboard. With a NL2 in my rig, the base would be more narrow than the X stand I currently use.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I was going to get the standtastic until I found out it you have to adjust it to the width of your smallest keyboard. With a NL2 in my rig, the base would be more narrow than the X stand I currently use.

Nothing that a strategically placed piece of plywood couldn't solve....

Noah

DanL: Standtastic offer an accessory "shelf" that you could use. It appears to be a wire type shelf. Admittedly, it's an extra piece of gear to carry around but it might offer a solution for the smaller width keyboard. You could also construct a simple thin plywood shelf say out of 1/4" or 3/16" plywood, sand it and spray paint it satin black, and then use a product designed for lining tool drawers - it's a non-slip mesh available at Lowes or other "big-box' store. This keeps both shelf and the keyboard in place. . .

How narrow is the NL2? As you can see from my pic, I have a Voyager on top, which is quite narrow (about 31"), yet there is still enough width and stability for the 76-note SY99 on the bottom.

Hmm... good point. But at least the legs are vertical-- the angle of the x-stand gets in the way of my pedals.

I've got the 2 tier 45" Standtastic model, and added a third tier. I absolutely love it. When I tried to use a QuikLok triple tier, the upper board was so far away I could barely reach it.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/118/262348792_22ad203499.jpg

Since I got the Standtastic, the top tier is at a comfortable place.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/263053321_a493c4d800.jpg

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

i love this bloody form. thank you guys! standtastic it is. magic, absolute magic. _ mul
Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

Hmm, I passed on that stand the first time I saw it listed, as it didn't look very sturdy in the teeny tiny on-line photos.

These larger photos, the vendor's website, user testimonials at various e-stores, and user feedback in this forum, are making me give this stand a closer look.

I have to play standing at gigs, unfortunately, as sitting is considered to draw down the stage energy, and I'm not certain this stand would be ideal for standing vs. sitting.

There are some caveats from user reviews at musiciansfriend that also have me a bit concerned, in terms of longevity and wear/tear -- though every stand has such issues.

I'm a little confused about the option of the two-tier model and buying a third-tier, vs. buying the three-tier model. The vendor website doesn't seem to provide details.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I think the main difference between the two tier and the three tier is the overall height. I believe the two tier is 47" whereas the three tier is 60". I would go for the three tier if you're playing live even if you only use two of the tiers (you can remove the non-used one) because you can put all the keys a lot higher.

I've heard some issues with the bolts / nuts that they use. It might be wise to replace them with something more dependable like stainless steel if you're using the stand live.

Thanks. This stand is already looking a better option to me than the Quik-Lok WS series (540 for Moog and 550 for everything else) or any Z-stands I have seen.

I'm still torn on the Standtastic, but only have one day left (at most) to get it on sale at Guitar Centre's website.

Probably nothing anyone says could sway me one way or the other at this point, as I'm already aware of the caveats as well as benefits.

What it comes down to for me, though, is that I need my keyboards to more or less be vertically stacked vs. staggered, as my boom mic needs to come pretty far forward for my bass playing (I sometimes play bass guitar with my left hand using hammering techniques while comping keys with the right hand, for instance).

Also, setup and breakdown time is critical for me. The Apex is trivial and fast. Not sure about the WS540 or WS550, which is why I still haven't bought those to try them yet either. The X-stands are easy (except for QuikLok's), and the one from Ultimate remains my backup option set up at a right angle to my two-tier Apex stand, if I get too shy to try the Standtastic, the QuikLok WS550, or one of the narrower Z-stands.

I sit(too much pedal work to stand) to play my 3 tier and would agree with McHale; My XK2 sits on the bottom and needs to for stability. K2661 above that and a Roland JP-8000 on top.

My double braced Ultimate X stand's second tier and 3rd tier are piecmealed together with a "generic" 2nd tier extension off Ebay and additional U shaped tier (which was a 2nd for a long time)that I've had forever. I shortened 2nd & 3rd tiers, re-welded and re-painted to bring the boards closer together; the stack was towering with the keybeds way too far apart. That will be an issue if you're standing. There's also a telescoping connecting rod that prevents the 2nd tier upright's arms from loosening and rotating..thereby crashing the stack. While sometimes a PITA storage wise...it stabilizes it quite a bit. Been playing this setup for 4-5 years. Bounces a bit...but is pretty solid.

I also own a Ultimate A frame and haven't ever gigged with it; that'd be way too much trouble to set up. The X stand's second tier folds down with the 3rd and makes for an easy setup/breakdown.

One advantage to a 3 tier that's not been mentioned is the stage footprint. Been thinking more about setting up in an "L" shape so that I'm not so hidden behind a stack. Kind of depends on the venue as to whether or not there's enough space on stage with our 5 piece.

http://home.comcast.net/~mikegelardi/Mikeatkeyboard.jpg.jpg

"May you stay...forever young."

Here's something that COULD make my mind up:

What is the breakdown and setup process?

Do the sides stay as is, and the x-braces come off that are between the sides? If so, are there two or more twistie knobs, or some other mechanism?

If the sides have to break down as well, what is that process?

I can only consider stands that set up in 30 seconds or less. I wear MANY hats at each gig (soundperson, bassist, keyboardist, musical director, backing vocals, backing tracks). Each role must be quick in setup as it all adds up.

The breakdown procedure for the Standtastic.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/263053319_da9e890693.jpg

Pull the pins that hold the keyboard support bars in place, and either fold them down and replace the pins, or remove the bars.

Loosen the wing nuts on the side supports and fold them up.

Loosen the thumb screws on the back cross bars, and pull up, folding the stand.

Put the stand into its handy-dandy carrying case.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/93/263053318_fcbadf248f.jpg

You're done. Takes about 15-20 seconds.

Setup doesn't take much longer.

Willie Dixon

I have gone through several three-tier permutations and have concluded that to get it exactly right you have to make it or modify it yourself.

I have an On Stage heavy duty double X and was using two extra tiers fine until I bought my Electro which wreaked havoc on the whole set up (top board blocked Electro, Electro connections coincided with tier uprights and on and on).

I ended up making a custom third tier out of PVC (design courtesy of DanL I believe - thanks Dan!). With respect to the Electro the top board position is perfect. However, my second tier is still too high and the Electro blocks the bottom board controls. So I am going to have my buddy (welder) shorten the second tier and I am going put extensions in the bottom so I can pull the lowest board closer to me to reveal all its controls.

It is next to impossible to find a stand that is exactly the way you want it when you are dealing with 3 boards.

Regards,

Joe

Here's something that COULD make my mind up:

What is the breakdown and setup process?

Do the sides stay as is, and the x-braces come off that are between the sides? If so, are there two or more twistie knobs, or some other mechanism?

If the sides have to break down as well, what is that process?

I can only consider stands that set up in 30 seconds or less. I wear MANY hats at each gig (soundperson, bassist, keyboardist, musical director, backing vocals, backing tracks). Each role must be quick in setup as it all adds up.

Top two tiers stay connected in storage. The "horizontal" brace that prevents the top two tiers from rotating inward/outward has two thumbscrews. It's removed for breakdown (I have two black rubber bands around the bottom tier arms that I just slip that into for storage and to keep it with the stand).

The top two tiers are attached to the X stand with a simple thumbscrew mechanism that expands into the X stand's arm tubes (male into female) to tighten it against the walls of the metal tube. Loosen the two screws and rotate the top two tiers against the X stand and fold the stand. Takes all of 10 seconds. Once it's folded, it weighs about 20 lbs., is as long as the X stand and folds to about 1.5 ft. wide.

Setup is just as simple...open the stand, loosen the screws, rotate to the upright position and tighten. Insert the horizontal bar into a provided hole, screw into one side. Expand the bar (which is telescoping) into the hole on the other side & tighten the thumbscrew that locks the telescoping bar. Again..maybe 10 seconds..tops.

The top two tiers also can be dissattached from one another very easily and quickly with thumbscrews if I only need two tiers.

Besides the horizontal bar, there are NO other pieces that come off the stand so nothing to lose during setup/breakdown.

Not the sharpest lookin stand...but very quick and simple.

"May you stay...forever young."

Thank you all for providing such detailed descriptions and photos of setup/breakdown.

If the Guitar Centre sale hasn't ended yet, I'm going to place my order shortly.

Ironically, the detailed descriptions of breakdown and setup convinced me more than the product description and reviews that this is a stand built to last!

I now feel it is worth taking the risk, as at the very least it would be useful in the studio when I'm using three or more boards simultaneously (frequently the case).

At gigs, I currently use one but plan to start using either two or three. If I only used two, setup time would be a tiny bit quicker. It's no big deal; it's nice to have the flexibility of three boards in one rack.

I love the Apex stand but it doesn't accomodate my Minimoog Voyager (unless I backorder the longer arms), nor does it handle the weight/balance of 88-boards very well. That's why this stand interests me. And it's nice that it folds up to a similar easy-to-pack profile.

It seems silly to save just a few bucks by ordering the smaller stand, so even if I only used it for the 88-board and used the Apex for anything else at a gig, in an L-shape setup (more sudience-friendly), this seems a better and more flexible solution than even Ultimate's high-quality single-tier X-stand, or the WS-series from QuikLok.

Rats, the promotion has ended.

I wish they would say when these sales end -- it's really aggravating.

I had a particularly intense day at work and literally was nose to the grindstone nine hours straight without so much as a bathroom break, so I simply didn't have a chance to check the net earlier.

I'm looking for a different solution. I need a 3 tier stand (or something else) for a Nord stage compact at the bottom, Evolver keyboard on top - and the Virus TI desktop. Obviously, your usuall 3 tier stand is way too wide for the virus desktop. I need something i can adjust to be more narrow. Ideas anyone?
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

It's the "too wide" issue that steered me clear of all but one or two Z-stands, and which makes the multi-tier X-stand a problem.

That's why the QuikLok WS540 appealed, but it can't take a second tier like the wider WS550.

I don't have time to go through those specs right now, but if you have trouble finding them (bear in mind most websites don't list the WS550 with its real name but either call it the W550 or a generic name), PM me.

I'm preparing for a few days away so can't take the time to hunt down those specs right now. Unfortunately I do not recall if the WS550 is too wide for smaller boards or not off-hand.

Also, FWIW, my impression is that the Standtastic can be made narrow enough to accomodate "challenging" keyboards.

And back to the WS550 briefly, I don't remember if it can take two additional tiers or just one.

But all of these answers are contained in a small pile of papers that I can find if you need the info. I charted all of this out a couple of weeks ago and strategised three potential solutions.

Also, FWIW, my impression is that the Standtastic can be made narrow enough to accomodate "challenging" keyboards.

And back to the WS550 briefly, I don't remember if it can take two additional tiers or just one.

But all of these answers are contained in a small pile of papers that I can find if you need the info. I charted all of this out a couple of weeks ago and strategised three potential solutions.

You're right about the standtastic being able to accomodate smaller boards. The main supports are adjusted by the rear crossmembers with the thumb screws. You can set them as narrow or as wide as you need and the support arms remain at the same height. I always set mine as wide as my smallest board for the stability and the footroom.

There are 3 drawbacks to this stand.

1. It takes some real time to set it up initially, requiring the Allen Wrench supplied, and some patience. Once you've got the bar heights set, it's easy to use, but it is not flexible at all

2. It has a larger front to back footprint than most stands

3. Once you've put your boards on the stand, it's very difficult to reposition. It's possible with help, but not very convenient.

Those things aside, if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Another note. I had lost a couple of the pins (my fault, not the stands) and I called the company. In less than a week I had replacements. Great customer service.

Willie Dixon

Archived