Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 tier stand

mul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, thanks, and the one we were talking about is on sale for $159 (that one is the shorter 48" version, which probably isn't as flexible in application as the taller 60" version).

I had seen the one you linked on sale last week, but at the titme didn't notice that the taller one is also on sale (maybe it wasn't at the time).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I brought the measurements with me today for the two Quik-Lok "T" stands:

WS-540:

width range: 17" to 26" (43.2 to 66 cm)

depth range: 14" to 17.25" (35.6 to 44.5 cm)

height range: 24.25" to 32.5" (61.6 to 81.3 cm)

frame tubing size: 30 mm

weight capacity: 300 lbs (135 kg)

weight: 13 lbs (5.9 kg)

WS-550:

width range: 29.2" to 46.4" (74 to 118 cm)

depth range: 17.3" to 27.4" (44 to 69.5 cm)

height range: 24.25" to 32.5" (61.6 to 81.3 cm)

frame tubing size: 30 mm

weight capacity: 250 lbs (113.1 kg)

weight: 18 lbs (8.1 kg)

folded width: 29.2" (74 cm)

folded height: 24.6" (62.5 cm)

I don't think the WS-540 can accept a second tier, and I think the WS-550 can accept a second tier but not a third tier.

I find it odd that the WS-550 supports less weight than the WS-540, but I suppose a wider stand can take less stress in the middle than a narrow stand.

At any rate, I think I've permanently ruled out the T-stands as being too time-consuming to set up and break down at a gig. This is just guesswork based on close-up photos that Sven Golly posted here last year.

Note that On Stage Stands makes equivalent T-stands with the same model number prepended by an "8" after the "WS" and before the "540" or "550". I wonder if they and Quik-Lok are the same company, with just different branding?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Here are the official specifications for the Standtastic stands:

http://www.lmproducts.com/dspStandtasticStandSpecifications.cfm

Unfortunately, I'm not sure now whether I might be better off with the 45-48" stand vs. the 57-60" stand.

There aren't quite enough specs there, and also the notes that I wrote earlier about height preferences are at home, and I won't be home again for four days.

I am very short (5'5"), but stand at gigs and find reaching up by a tiny amount better for my playing than reaching down. So I currently have my Yamaha CS6x near the top of my Apex stand, which is probably around 48" off the ground?

The lower position is used at home while sitting, for piano work and other work requiring more concentration or skill. If I need two tiers at a gig, my recollection is that the lower tier is more at 36" or that range than 24" (bearing in mind that I'm talking about the bottom of the keyboard, not the top of the keyboard).

Based on this info, does anyone know which of the two Standtastic stands gets the closest to those ideal sitting and standing positions?

It's OK if it only matches one well, in which case the other gets used at gigs and neither would ever have to be adjusted again (vertically) after initial setup.

I play seated, so the 48" stand works for me, but my top tier is at the very top of the arms. If I played standing, I would need to have the 60".

The base and footprint is the same for both, it's just the arms that support the bars goed higher on the 60"

If you get the 60", you could probably use the mike stand attachment as well.

If you look at my avatar, you can see how it looks with 2 boards. The arms for the 3rd tier connect right at the top, and I angle them down one hole, so it puts the top board at a relatively comfortable angle.

I really think they could have put the locking thumbscrew for the arm length on the sides of the arms, though. I would be able to get the top tier a good 3/4 - 1 inch closer to the middle tier. Maybe I should get a thread tap and change it myself.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I don't think the WS-540 can accept a second tier, and I think the WS-550 can accept a second tier but not a third tier.

I have the 550 with the second tier. I'm not aware of any way to add a third tier. The second tier requires an additional crossbar and I don't think they make a short crossbar that fits the 540.

The 550 is solid as a rock but the second tier can be a bit fiddly. There are at least 8 knobs to tighten and multiple adjustments you can make. I've got all the settings marked with black PVC so they don't show up at a distance. It's way faster than setting up from scratch.

I find it odd that the WS-550 supports less weight than the WS-540, but I suppose a wider stand can take less stress in the middle than a narrow stand.

Yep! The cross bar on the 550 can flex if you try really hard. Don't.

At any rate, I think I've permanently ruled out the T-stands as being too time-consuming to set up and break down at a gig. This is just guesswork based on close-up photos that Sven Golly posted here last year.

Without the upper tier it's the fastest stand to set up I've ever owned. Just swing the legs into position and you're done. The second tier can be fiddly but, as I said before, I've got the settings marked so it can be fairly quick, just a lot of knob tightening.

Note that On Stage Stands makes equivalent T-stands with the same model number prepended by an "8" after the "WS" and before the "540" or "550". I wonder if they and Quik-Lok are the same company, with just different branding?

I'd check them out before buying. I don't know about the OnStage version but the Apex versions are shite. I've even noticed them out of alignment in the ads! The QuikLoks aren't expensive so I can't imagine you'd be saving a lot of money.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Hmm, I'm leaning towards the 48" stand as that is closer in height to the Ultimate Apex, which has been working well for me both for sitting and standing.

I like the profile as it appears in your avatar, which I think you said is the 48" version (there was some ambiguity in how you worded that). If I'm standing, I'm going to prefer that my top keyboard be no higher than 48" anyway, and I like close vertical spacing of boards (which Apex and Standtastic support).

If I interpret correct, 48" is from the floor, not the length of the post (which wouldn't be nearly as high off the ground due to the sharp angle). I think that's how Apex lists its height as well.

Another factor is that the taller stand won't fit in my car without folding down the back seat, which currently I would only need to do if I bring an 88-key board along. I would not want to automatically have to fold down the back seat at every gig, as it limits how I can pack other gear, and for some small/short gigs I sometimes leave a couple of things hidden in the trunk if I leave directly from work. It's safe, unless obvious and tempting. Folding down the back seat exposes everything.

I;m sure everyone noticed the even smaller one-tier version is on sale at the website for $49, but supplies are limited.

Also, the 48" stand has free shipping but the 60" stand does not, if ordered through Woodwind Brass etc.

Oh, I thought you had to set up the legs on the T-stands each time, rather than leave them extended! That changes things -- though the caveats on the second tier make it less likely I'd want to use those stands for anything other than awkward shaped or heavy boards that don't work well on the Apex, such as the Voyager and the PC3X (which I'll probably order fairly soon).

Hmm, more food for thought. But I want to place an order for SOMETHING today, so I don't have to keep my Voyager sitting on my piano bench and stoop over to play it!

Oh, I thought you had to set up the legs on the T-stands each time, rather than leave them extended!

That depends on whether you have enough room in the car for it with the legs extended. I leave mine extended because I sit when I play and the the legs are set at their second lowest setting. I'd only gain a few inches by lowering them. YMMV.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Had to make a split-second decision as I'm heading out now and won't have internet access for four to five days.

I bought the 48" stand, feeling its profile would be friendlier to my height and more likely to work well for me in both the studio and at gigs.

If I'm wrong, and the actual playing height of the arms is different than I think, then it'll be a studio-only stand but still earn its keep as a sturdy stand that doesn't wobble like the Apex does when dealing with especially heavy boards like the Voyager or PC3X.

If you do encounter any wobble, it's because the wingnuts at the bottom of the rear x-braces have come loose. Just tighten them, and it's back being very sturdy.

I know you'll be out for a couple days, but I'll measure the height of my top tier when I set up for the gig tomorrow.

Willie Dixon

Thanks for the info etc.

As I mentioned in the Apex thread, if I find I need the 3-tier base for gigging work, I'll just order it later, and maybe sell the Apex as that stand would be redundant at that point.

For home use, I need two stands anyway for cases where I am doing massive recording and want everything set up and ready to go (vs. swapping boards on one stand etc.). And sometimes at gigs as well.

My 2-tier Standtastic arrived a few minutes ago.

Man, I'm glad I didn't order the 3-tier base model, as this thing is HEAVY!

Maybe it's just the box and packing that make it so dense. I'm not going to open it at work in case there are any loose pieces inside.

I think you'll find not much heavier than a solid double braced x stand.

Give yourself some time to set it up, it'll take it. Grab a tape measure, as you'll need it.

But, once you get the arms to the correct height, it becomes very easy to use. IIRC, the site has some videos on setup and teardown.

Willie Dixon

Thanks. I won't have a chance until this weekend, unfortunately, but if I have trouble, will re-check their site as I saw very little data on it before so maybe there are some hidden links.

The big thing about setting it the first time is getting the boards at the right height. You'll need to measure the bars from the floor so you get them both at the same height, tighten them down with the Allen Wrench, check the keyboard height, and repeat until it's set correctly. Then you start on the next tier. It can be a bit time consuming, but once it's set, there's never any question about the height.

I do recommend that if when packing up for travel, if you remove the arms at all, place the pins back into the holes. They'll transport better.

If you run into any problems, feel free to PM me.

Willie Dixon

I spent several hours last night going thru my band's set list, looking at what songs I needed the Nord Lead for, and reprogrammed my S90ES to cover those parts. Lots of fun- using the editor to create sounds from scratch etc. So now I'm not limited by the NL width on the Standtastic, and I might try and sneak one past my wife.

The NL2 is a pretty small board, 33" wide so you'd need to set the stand a little closer than that. The plywood or shelf option is a good one, but it's also about making the setup easy and neither of those options help with that part.

Good info on this thread!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I always set the width on mine so the rubber feet on my smallest board are to the outside for the support arms. Of course, that lets me go relatively wide, as my smallest board is a Korg N-364.

I can see where there would be a problem trying to use a shelf for the NL2. It would probably put the arms wider than the board, and you'd have no lip to keep it from sliding forward, unless you built one onto the shelf.

Willie Dixon

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread alert!

Bumping this one because I'm now in the market for a 3-tier stand to use while sitting, on gigs, where quick setup & teardown matter. Based on the comments above, the Standtastic seems like the best solution. But I wanted to see if anyone had anything new to add now that a couple years have gone by. Anyone still using the Standtastic, happy with it or not, found something better, etc?

Don't I recall from an earlier thread that Standtastic were out of business? Certainly can't seem to find a home page for them now.

Once again, I'd take a look at the K&M 18880 - jpscoey on this board has a three-tier version based on this which I've seen and used and it's a nice lightweight but solid stand. Good value, too.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Oh no! I've been Svengled! But in fairness, I was looking for something with Standtastic in the domain name, so overlooked LMProducts or whatever they call themselves.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I've been trying to order some Standtastic stands with no luck. GC and MF says they have them in stock, but when I place an order it never gets posted to my CC.

Anybody had any luck buying Standtastic stands? Or do I have to order through LM Products?

• 2 years later...

Choose "Standtastic" 3-tier

Built solid like a tank & plenty of space between tiers for adjustments or knob twiddling

You'll never need or buy another multiple-tiered keyboard stand from any other than from the boys at "Standtastic".

KORG Kronos 76key/ Triton Extreme 88key

Dave Smith Instruments PROPHET 8/NEO Ventilator/ROLAND V-Synth GT/ACCESS Virus TI 2/ROLAND Jupiter80

JBL Pro LSR6328P Studio Monitors & JBL Pro LSR6312P Subwoofer

Archived