Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MIDI Trumpet??

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello my favorite MP people!! :)

Have you seen this:

http://music.yamaha.com/products/main.html?productId=213

Anyone have one? Impressions?

Trombones rule!! (but MIDI trumpets are very cool)

Ms. Valky

Well, if it sounds like Yamaha GM trumpets :sick:

Lovely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJTnT5VLi4

Trombones still rule, though.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I actually liked the other product in the line, a midi guitar. Seems like a great gadget for a guitarist doing midi arrangements. And cheap, too. Much cheaper than the Roland midi pick-ups.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Yes! The guitar looks fun too.

There are other MIDI trumpets on the market but they are in the $2000 price range.

This one is oriented towards the education market @$300 imported. It looks like a pretty powerful controller via MIDI (I wouldn't trust the sounds).

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

I owned one a few years back and know it and its limitations very well.

It is basically a pitch to MIDI convertor, with midi Volume control. It is very easy to play, especially if you already know brass fingering - you will be playing proper tunes well in minutes. Much easier than other wind controllers.

The downside as a MIDI wind controller is it outputs MIDI volume, not breath or aftertouch so is not compatible with most hardware wind synth modules. It also has no pitch bend or other capabilies. The new Akai EWI USB controller is far more capable as a MIDI controller for about the same money, although of course you can't run it off batteries and annoy the heck out of anyone, anywhere, anytime.

BTW, since it does pitch conversion you can actually get acoustic feedback in a loud environment.

The pitch to midi convertor is very, very good actually. Very accurate and fast.

It is more than a toy, but less than a musical instrument, which is a shame, as with only minor changes it would be a very useful tool.

Michael

Hello my favorite MP people!! :)

I always knew I was your favorite person. :eek::D

When's the MIDI trombone coming out?

I just had a horrifying vision of a guy buying a MIDI trumpet, then using it to (you guessed it) trigger trumpet samples. GAH! MAKE IT STOP!

I have to say it does look rather funny! My friend John Swana has a custom EVI which (in his hands, at least) is a pretty ridiculous instrument. I love hearing it/playing along side.

I owned one a few years back and know it and its limitations very well.

It is basically a pitch to MIDI convertor, with midi Volume control. It is very easy to play, especially if you already know brass fingering - you will be playing proper tunes well in minutes. Much easier than other wind controllers.

The downside as a MIDI wind controller is it outputs MIDI volume, not breath or aftertouch so is not compatible with most hardware wind synth modules. It also has no pitch bend or other capabilies. The new Akai EWI USB controller is far more capable as a MIDI controller for about the same money, although of course you can't run it off batteries and annoy the heck out of anyone, anywhere, anytime.

BTW, since it does pitch conversion you can actually get acoustic feedback in a loud environment.

The pitch to midi convertor is very, very good actually. Very accurate and fast.

It is more than a toy, but less than a musical instrument, which is a shame, as with only minor changes it would be a very useful tool.

Michael

Thanks for the info!

I've seen the EVI but:

1. I'm a brass player and I'd hate learning sax fingering

2. I'm a brass player because I have problems with my

fingers

You're right- I wish it did have some better features like volume... but I'll just have to deal with it until I can afford the $2000 version.

Thanks!

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

The Akai EVI has the EWI fingering mode which is based on brass instrument fingering. Not as easy to learn as the EZ-TP, so instead of a few minutes you will take a week or two to play fluently.

Check out the manual at www.akaipro.com

Valky-

There's a lower priced USB version of the EWI. Not sure if that has the "3 valve trumpet fingering" map for the woodwind keys.

My friend John Swana has a custom EVI which (in his hands, at least) is a pretty ridiculous instrument. I love hearing it/playing along side.

Your friend John is a helluva trumpet player.

I'll pass that along, Mark!

Valkyrie- The EVI that John has is custom built as far as I know, but it has 3 buttons just like the valves on a trumpet. It's breath sensitive (no idea how that part works) and then the free left hand operates what looks like a big circular dial. Turning the dial is what moves you up and down the overtones, replacing what a brass player does as they tighten or loosen the embouchure. That being said, since it's a synth, the range is a lot bigger than on regular trumpet. It's really an amazing instrument.

Yes, that's been out for awhile, and the EWI USB model definitely supports EVI fingering due to the partnership with Patchman Music.

As for the Yamaha trumpet, I didn't think it was a true MIDI controller when I first read about it a year or so ago. I think it's for young children and meant to keep the adults from going crazy while finding out whether their child has any true musical talent and/or dedication to justify a real instrument purchase.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived