Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Congratulations to DREAM THEATER!

Mr. L

Just wanted to give a shoutout to my buds for breaking into the number 6 slot in albums sold on the Billboard top 200 this week right behind Dave Matthews Band, The Black Eyed Peas, The Jonas Brothers and Eminem.

They did beat out Linkn Park and the Transformers 2 Soundtrack, Lady Gaga and Hannah Montana!

Here is the link to the good news!

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2357900.aspx

FL

www.franklucas.net

It's been so long, you're welcome back my friends......to the show that never ends!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just picked up Jordan Rudess' The Road Home solo CD.

Suck and Mr. Rudess are quite exclusive.

How can you fault someone who covers Dance On A Volcano & Tarkus on the same CD?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Bold and unfair? Hardly. Everyone's entitled to their opinion on this forum. Apparently Dream Theater fans are an overly sensitive bunch.

Hey, I'm not a DT fan... you pissed me off because you said the Jonas Brothers suck. :evil:

Bold and unfair? Hardly. Everyone's entitled to their opinion on this forum. Apparently Dream Theater fans are an overly sensitive bunch.

No, you also lumped DMB in there, which makes me think that your definition of "suck" has nothing to do with talent level.

It's one thing to say "don't care, don't like 'em", it's another thing to put them on the same level as the Jonas Brothers.

In an attempt to steer this thread back in the general vicinity of the topic that Frank was aiming for, I did pick up the latest DT offering (the 3-CD offering) at the suggestion of a keyboard player friend of mine, after I mentioned that I found the more recent DT stuff to be not as musical as the earlier, less technically flashy stuff.

I have to say, this one's growing on me in ways I didn't expect. It's been on constant rotation in the car for 4 days now and I have yet to take it off. There's some very tasty piano work by Mr. Rudess on this disc that doesn't even come close to 32nd notes, and I kinda like it. :thu:

No, you also lumped DMB in there, which makes me think that your definition of "suck" has nothing to do with talent level.

It's one thing to say "don't care, don't like 'em", it's another thing to put them on the same level as the Jonas Brothers.

Hey, don't you be hatin' the JB's too! :cry:

I have to say, this one's growing on me in ways I didn't expect. It's been on constant rotation in the car for 4 days now and I have yet to take it off. There's some very tasty piano work by Mr. Rudess on this disc that doesn't even come close to 32nd notes, and I kinda like it. :thu:

They go in cycles - they'll drop a really, really thoughtful record, and then turn around and let Petrucci and Portnoy produce one and it's just a semi-musical sonic beatdown.

I kinda like the really heavy stuff, but I like the really artistic work much more.

I can't see how anyone in this world can say that Dream Theater suck. Yes, you can think of them as 'too technical', 'not interesting to me', 'not my style'. But 'suck'?

Just to know how much weight does your opinion have (please, no offence), what's your gig, D-Bon?

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

To be fair to D-Bon, how many of the musical press reviewers are actually musicians, albeit of a standard equal or greater to the artist they are reviewing?i have read slating reviews by people who have no musical background. I have never heard DT mainly because I left progrock behind years ago, the only thing I would go back to is ELP, where technical playing is very listenable.

In MY opinion, there is nothing wrong with having the opinion that Dream Theater sucks and/or sharing that opinion here where many may or may not agree.

Since when does someone have to show credentials to have an opinion around here??

As for my opinion on DT? no comment :D

I certainly can understand not liking a specific bands music. I've even said I feel some bands suck so I am not without my own hypocracies. I get frustrated when something is said that is disrespectful about a band that has, one, withstood the test of the time and, two, possesses musicians who are talented and respected for their talent because of their skills in multiple aspects of music. As an example I dislike Prince as I've stated in other threads. His music does nothing for me. I still respect him for what he's done. I'm sure there are several examples of this for many of us on here. The one thing none of us can say with any certainty is what is and isn't good since its like keyboard action and sound, its different to each of us. Sorry I was just thinking out loud.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

in this little online universe that is the Keyboard Corner, I hope there is no written or unwritten rule in regards to whether we can say a band or musician sucks

Skills, Talent, Respect are subjective ideas that can be disagreed with no matter who it's in reference to.

I've been a huge Prince fan for years but could come up with a very good argument for him sucking...really...it's not my opinion but if someone had that opinion, screw the majority, the opinion should be allowed.

If you don't agree with D-Bon, move on to another thread or whatever, tell him you disagree if you feel the need but attacking him for his opinion is not what this place should be about.

not to mention the fact that he gave his opinion in the form of humor which is awesome

IMGDO

in this little online universe that is the Keyboard Corner, I hope there is no written or unwritten rule in regards to whether we can say a band or musician sucks

Skills, Talent, Respect are subjective ideas that can be disagreed with no matter who it's in reference to.

I've been a huge Prince fan for years but could come up with a very good argument for him sucking...really...it's not my opinion but if someone had that opinion, screw the majority, the opinion should be allowed.

If you don't agree with D-Bon, move on to another thread or whatever, tell him you disagree if you feel the need but attacking him for his opinion is not what this place should be about.

not to mention the fact that he gave his opinion in the form of humor which is awesome

IMGDO

I didn't see any humor in his post, which is why I reacted to it.

"Talent" is not a relative term - either someone can play their instrument or they can't. "Respect" is not a relative term - either a musician is respected by a large number of his/her peers or s/he is not.

What you like and dislike? That's relative.

And, BTW, I've taken my fair share of beatings for saying someone sucks around this forum, by you and others, Steve. So I would hope you're not so high and mighty that you think you're the only one who's allowed to beat up on someone because of their opinion.

Because I already know your opinion of Dream Theater, and it seems to me that's a much bigger motivator for you getting involved in this discussion than defending someone else's right to talk shit.

I seem to recall it going something like this...

Phrygian wank-fest

"Talent" is not a relative term - either someone can play their instrument or they can't. "Respect" is not a relative term - either a musician is respected by a large number of his/her peers or s/he is not.

BS. Many great musicians were not respected by their peers, and were recognized only after they'd passed away.

Talent is not something that can be quantified, and neither is respect.

Just to know how much weight does your opinion have (please, no offence), what's your gig, D-Bon?

In gold? I'm not sure it can be measured. A lot. For reference purposes, here are some of the many non-suck artists that I listen to and enjoy: Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Johnny Hates Jazz, Anal Cunt, and the Canadian songbird Anne Murray.

...Anal Cunt...

So you're a fan of a guttural noise band (they didn't even start writing actual riffs or lyrics for the first 5 years of their existence, they just made as much noise as possible and supported it with screaming and grunting from the vocalist)

but you say Dream Theater sucks? :freak:

PS: If you like A.C. for their constant barrage of insulting songs, I suggest you dig a little further back and enjoy a couple of the godfathers of insult-metal, Anthrax and M.O.D.

The latter's debut album USA for MOD was legendary for its pure offensiveness, with songs like "A.I.D.S." and "Aren't You Hungry" leading the charge for kicking people while they're down...

Archived