Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Guitar players--oy!

Synthoid

We're doing a cover of The Monkeys, "I'm a Believer" for a picnic this summer, and I figured it would be a piece of cake. We're all familiar with the beginning of this song--the organ sound, the simple repeating guitar notes... Here it is if you don't recall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

Anyway, the guitar player hasn't managed to figure those notes out yet. I'm not a guitar player, but should this be that difficult?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as for the keyboard part, you're not mimicking what Tork was shown doing in that video. :rolleyes:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm not much of a guitar player (barely good enough to play a little Rhythm where appropriate), but I picked up my guitar just now and figured it out in about 10 sec.

I wouldn't use this to knock guitar players - I'm sure most would consider that song child's play. This is a specific guitar player issue.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I wouldn't use this to knock guitar players - I'm sure most would consider that song child's play. This is a specific guitar player issue.

That's what I figured... :rawk:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

This is a very straight froward riff on guitar. Your guitar player probably hasn't bothered to listen to the track to pick out the riff and is just going by memory.

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Nord Electro 2, Roland HP603

Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Martin DC-16RGTE

Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85, Traynor Block 12, Boss GT-1

I would be prepared, with a proper patch of course, to throw that rif in if the guitar player goes blank.

At rehearsal he will likely see what you play and just copy you rather do nothing....I'm guessing you are talking about the 3 note rif (D,E,G) that Nesmith is leading into the verse with.

:rawk:

OK, I haven't heard the song in at least 10 years.

But as I recall the organ plays G then G7 twice (no third) C triad twice (2nd inversion) G triad (root inversion)

followed by the guitar playing CDF CDF D.

Do I win a cookie? ;)

Moe

---

C'mon, obviously this thread should be titled "Crappy Musicians -- oy!". Any bad musician, regardless of instrument, could have been the object of your ire. It's not about the instrument, obviously.

So don't be a musical racist. :D

I gotta agree with this point......If the theme is music from late 60's, why not something a little more "groovy" like this:

Wow, I think these guys might be High on something!

Do you think the guitar player can handle it?

:rawk:

I had a similar issue with a guitarist once. The guy could only play chords. No riffs. Ask him to play an Am or a G7, and he's fine. But play anything that required an actual riff, and he just couldn't do it.

Obviously, that severely limited the amount of material we could play.

I no longer play with that guitarist.

Noah

I'm like that, all I can do is strum chords. But I don't even consider myself a guitar player and wouldn't consider presenting myself to a band as one.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

When my current band writes songs, we usually base them around chords, instead of riffs. I'd like to get a bit more melodically creative, but the guitarist and bassist aren't formally trained like I am, so explaining licks to them can be very frustrating. I suppose in a modern-influenced rock band, you don't need to go very far beyond 3 or 4 major chords anyway, but it'd be nice..

Archived