Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What do you guys think of Phish/reunion/new single?

scottasin

I still love "Rockit." So thppth!

Fair enough. I didn't say it was a bad tune. Let's say you didn't like it, though, for the sake of argument. The point was that if "Rockit" was the only Herbie Hancock tune you had heard, and based on that, you decided that Herbie is not for you and furthermore concluded that Herbie can't play worth a s#&t, then obviously you'd be seriously missing out. That's all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, guys. Can't believe the amount of hating here. Dislike Phish's music all you want, but calling them amateur musicians who can't play their instruments is just plain ridiculous. Listen to anything off their first few albums and tell me with a straight face how bad they are. I personally despise Kenny G, but I can still admit that despite the cheese, he's a cat that definitely knows his way around his ax.

And don't judge a band based on one song that, admittedly, isn't really a great example of Phish's overall musical output. That's like summing up Stevie Wonder based entirely on the song "That's What Friends Are For," or Herbie Hancock based on "Rockit," R.E.M based on "Shiny Happy People," Led Zeppelin based on "Hot Dog," the Beatles based on "Octopus's Garden," etc, etc.

For me, I was responding to that one song. Just horrible. I do think (and did say) that the singing with Phish is always bad (and it is), but the people who like them aren't in it for the great singing. I'll agree that in a general sense they all seem to know what they're doing technically...doesn't mean that adds up to good music. It's all subjective though. Phish is just not my cup of tea.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Archived