Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro: Real Drawbars

Cliffk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used the Voce/Midi Solutions rig as well for my Electro. Hes using the same MidiSolutions box inside that thing, and while it looks nice and tidy and compact, it doesnt seem as smooth as the Voce Midi Drawbars. But I heartily applaud his ingenuity.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The Voce thing would only be $700+ if you bought a new V5+. They are easy to find used in the $350 range and Voce MIDI Drawbars (while more rare) can be found for less if you are patient. I've had a couple of each and my last set of MIDI Drawbars cost $200 + the Mapper Box at $150. It was a worthwhile expense to have authentic drawbars.

The guy in the YouTube video is Dave Chesavage, a cool dude who has been on the Clonewheel forum for years. His solution is very cool and I think he's still working on the prototype.

Well, I'm definitely gonna get myself one. It's pretty compact, and I like that. Secondly, the fact that there's no need for a mapper box - it works with the Electro by default - is really nice.

The Electro 3 doesn't provide MIDI bus power, however...

WALL WART!!!!

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Doh! Sorry guys, I have the V3 drawbar and module.

http://www.voceinc.com/art/V3mdb1x.gif

I got really lucky to get the drawbars for $200.

I have the exact setup. Bought them new many years ago at a GC blowout sale for $600 for both. They work great!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I want one of those! Who do I have to pay?

The midi drawbars or the voce v3 or both?

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

The guy in the YouTube video is Dave Chesavage, a cool dude who has been on the Clonewheel forum for years. His solution is very cool and I think he's still working on the prototype.
If you contact him thru YouTube, he'll reply to you and add you to his mailing list. I asked, he doesn't know pricing nor availability yet.

I'll send him an email with a link to this thread, and ask that he either post here or if he will let me post his reply (I don't think he would mind, it's just good to ask before you post what someone wrote to you).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Or you could get a Hammond!

Sounds like my poser bass player who tells me I should get a Harley like his. Then I remind him that not only could I buy 3 of my bikes for what he paid for his, I actually RIDE mine. :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

And Dan I actually play mine. I am actually glad someone came up with an after market part for the Electro.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

He sent out an update last night:

Drawbar Update version 1.0

Hello everyone -

First of all, thank you for your interest in this project. The response has been tremendous.

Some quick background. For a long time, I've been frustrated by the lack of drawbars on my Nord Electro 2. That's been my biggest gripe. Otherwise, it's just a very well-conceived instrument, and they got so many little details so right. The ability to split the outputs left and right. The smart way the pedals change function when you switch between piano and organ and clav. It's just very well thought out, and of course it sounds good. But it just surprises me that they've never offered us anything with real drawbars. I tried my best to warm up to those buttons, really I have... but it just ain't the same.

Like several of you, I tried using a Voce module for its drawbars, but of course you need to remap the MIDI values it generates to ones the Nord will understand, so that's an extra box you need to buy (and program) plus you need a power supply, sometimes two, and some sort of a platform for it to sit on, and a bunch of cables, and ugh, what a pain in the butt. Something needed to be done! Also, it's always irked me that when you switch from organ to something else and then switch back to the organ, the external drawbars would be out of sync with the Nord. (Some people like it that way, which is cool - on this drawbar module, the ability to automatically re-synch the drawbars is completely optional. You'll hear more of those details later).

I'm an embedded software developer - that's my day gig, and among other things I've done a lot of work on electronic musical instruments, I know the MIDI protocol pretty well, so it seems like this thing ought to be right up my alley. Right now I'm still on my Rev A hardware and it works really well. I had two gigs this week and brought one of my prototypes and it was a lot of fun to play. For me it makes all the difference to be able to reach down and change the color of the organ registration without even looking, just like on my console Hammond that I don't gig with anymore.

Here's where I'm at right now: I'm generally pretty happy with the electronics and the software. There are a few tweaks I need to make here and there, but the thing is rock-steady stable. It draws very little current so it's easily powered off the MIDI bus of my Nord Electro 2. It can also be run off an external wall-wart type power supply, and it looks like that might be necessary for you Electro 3 owners. Sorry about that, but Clavia apparently made some changes to the MIDI hardware for the Electro 3 that might make it impossible to run this module off MIDI bus power. I haven't actually had a chance to play with an Electro 3, so I'll know more when I finally do.

The electronics are looking surprisingly affordable to produce in relatively small quantities. The big unknowns right now are knobs and housing because they are likely to require tooling costs, and I'm in the process of figuring out what those costs are going to be. Right now the big concern is knobs. If it's feasible to do so, I'd really like to make a custom knob that has the same size, shape, and colors of Hammond drawbar knobs but fits on the linear fader that I'm using. That would be ideal. The fallback position is a catalog knob, which looks like it was designed for a graphic EQ. It'll work, but... kinda boring. I'm going to try my hardest to bring you cool knobs, not boring ones!

A few of you have asked if the final product is going to be as compact as the one shown in the videos. The answer is, yes, absolutely. This first product is designed specifically for Nord keyboards. That means it has to fit on that little shelf, and of course it has to send the correct MIDI values for the Nord.

There will be many more details coming in the following weeks, but I just wanted to drop a quick note to thank you for signing up to the announcement list and give you a (hopefully) clearer picture of where things are right now and where they're headed.

Just so you know - there isn't going to be a lot of progress made over the next week or ten days as I'm going to be in New Orleans for Jazz Fest! I have never been to New Orleans before, and that is just wrong. So I'm gonna fix that. But know that while I'm having my head filled with some amazing music I'll also be thinking about this drawbar controller.

Some notes on the photo below. The enclosure shown is one that I like a lot. It's made of cast aluminum so it has some heft to it, and the corners are all nicely beveled. The slots in the top look like crap because I cut them myself with a coping saw. The knobs are actual Hammond drawbar knobs that I took a Dremel to. I also took the Dremel to those EQ knobs I mentioned earlier, and sawed them down so I could Krazy-glue them inside the drawbar caps. So all of that appears here by way of disclaimer, but I wanted to show you what the final product might sorta-kinda look like.

Cheers everyone,

Dave

Seriously I am glad they came up with a way to do that. If Nord won't give you drawbars I am glad someone would do it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I don't know, if real drawbars are an issue the Electro is not for you, the whole idea is to keep the cost and weight down so why am I spending money on this? why not just sell the Electro and get a Hammond? it's just something else I have to setup at gigs that provides nothing to the sound, purely aesthetic.

So I think it's cool but certainly not something I would invest in.

Because people want the one stop shopping with the Nord and that is it's strength. Plus some people like how much it weighs.

noblevibes.com

I don't know, if real drawbars are an issue the Electro is not for you, the whole idea is to keep the cost and weight down so why am I spending money on this? why not just sell the Electro and get a Hammond? it's just something else I have to setup at gigs that provides nothing to the sound, purely aesthetic.

So I think it's cool but certainly not something I would invest in.

Seriously? Purely aesthetic? I'm certainly no expert and I don't have nearly the experience of others, but I find it very clumsy to make drawbar changes using the nord's buttons while playing. It's tough to change more than one at a time and you certainly have to look at what you're doing. To be able to have a smooth drawbar that you could feel without looking and easily slide two or more at once would be great.

I bought an expression pedal for the Nord too. It's one more thing to set up though. I probably should've just got a Hammond with the pedals. Dang.

I resist any gadget that makes my electro more complicated, heavier or more trouble to set up and operate. The thing I like about the electro is it's simple, light, and easy to set up and operate. My keyboard PA is complicated enough for me. When I want drawbars I set up the XK System.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Archived