Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moderator spam: LA forumites - Police Cars gig

Dave Bryce

Whassup, boys -

So, I'm playing keys in this new project called The Police Cars. Oddly enough, we do almost entirely Police and Cars tunes, which are just a ton of fun to play. The band features the best rhythm section I've ever had the pleasure to play with (Matt Bissonette and John Ferraro). These guys are unreal, and the singer is pretty unbelievable as well - he's totally got the Sting thing down. :cool:

We're headlining at the Viper Room on Thursday night, and the gig is being videotaped (in HD!). If any forumites are in the area and not busy, I'd love to see you there!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great concept! I'd love to see it if I wasn't halfway across the country. I know some guys that do a couple similar things around here. Actually, the guy that books us does a great Johnny Cash and teams up with some other guys to do:

"Petty Cash" - All Tom Petty and Johnny Cash

"A Tale of Two Johhny's" - All John Lennon and Johnny Cash

In general, I like bands that can come up with some sort of theme or something unique and not just go out and play the same random batch of songs that all the other bands around town are playing.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

John Ferraro!! I wish he were at my house everyday.

Tell me about it....

Get this - he comes to rehearsal a few weeks back grinning from ear to ear because he had spent the day in the studio playing drums on Ronnie Wood's upcoming solo record. Sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon. :cool:

The brother is all over that Stewart Copeland thing... ;)

dB

He's one of those guys who can play and relate to anything. Always sees the music for what it is rather than what it isn't and can lay a serious deep pocket for it. Buy him a beer for me.

"Petty Cash" - All Tom Petty and Johnny Cash

"A Tale of Two Johhny's" - All John Lennon and Johnny Cash

"Floyd the Barber" - A 90 minute live version of the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann" arranged and performed in the style of Pink Floyd.

Man, I missed steadyb's stand-up, tonight I missed Ken's photo gallery opening, and I probably won't be able to make it to the Viper Room on Thursday either! :mad:

I'm not giving up just yet though. I'd really love to see this.

I bet you're having a great time with these guys, Dave. I know I would. Very cool! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Awesome! Love anyone with 'Bissonette' in their name.

My good friend is a bartender at Viper, I'll see if he's working that night and try to make it out either way.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I would really enjoy seeing this, but I am on the wrong side of the continent. Sting is tough to cover with that high range! I really enjoy Summers' guitar playing on the first 3 Police albums. I would be interested in hearing any clips you might be able to share later.

Our modest covers band plays "You're All I've Got Tonight", which is a great attitude song, and our lead guitarist tells me it is his favorite song on which to play a solo, out of all the songs our band plays.

DB, those are both bad mofo's. With you in the mix that is going to be one bada$$ band. Great concept too...

good luck with this project, it should go far.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

good luck with this project, it should go far.

Thank you, sir...

Yeah, it's amazing how popular tribute bands are....lotta demand, better $ than playing originals. :thu:

dB

True that! At House of Blues the other night I saw a Led Zeppelin tribute on the bill headlining their own night!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

I'll be there...I have to be in Hollyweird later that night anyway, so your show will be a perfect warmup...especially with Bob's friend giving out free drinks. :D

No promises on that end! Although I can buy a round. We'll either both be there or we'll both be rehearsing up in Valencia. I hope for the former.

Yeah, it's amazing how popular tribute bands are....lotta demand, better $ than playing originals. :thu:

dB

True that! At House of Blues the other night I saw a Led Zeppelin tribute on the bill headlining their own night!

Led Zepagain. maybe? ;)

My friends in Which One's Pink play to packed houses all over the southland.

It was probably Zoso since I just saw they were coming to the Houston HoB next month.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

dB

Led Zepagain. maybe? ;)

Yep, that's who it was. What a way to make a living!

What a way to make a living!

No doubt. :cool:

I'm having the best time with this stuff...and getting to switch from one band's stuff to another really keeps it interesting. We actually keep a couple of Cheap Trick songs handy so that we can become the Cheap Police Cars if we want to. ;):D

dB

We actually keep a couple of Cheap Trick songs handy so that we can become the Cheap Police Cars if we want to. ;):D

dB

Ok, so now I'm inspired to start a band that covers early Zappa and early Floyd called The Atom Heart Mothers of Invention.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Ok, so now I'm inspired to start a band that covers early Zappa and early Floyd called The Atom Heart Mothers of Invention.

I'd totally come see that. :cool:

Tonight's set list:

1. Bye Bye Love

2. Message In A Bottle

3. Good Times Roll

4. Can't Stand Losing You

5. Just What I Needed

6. Da Doo Doo Doo

7. Synchronicty II

8. Driven To Tears

9. Wrapped Around Your Finger

10. Dangerous Type

11. Roxanne

12. Walking On The Moon

13. World Is Running Down

14. Best Friend's Girl

15. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

16. You're All I've Got Tonight

Encore

17. You Might Think

18. I Want You To Want Me

19. Surrender

:rawk:

dB

Switching bands during the encore? That's a cheap trick!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

dB, I love the setlist and hope I can see your band one day. Please align a show around NAMM next year!

You guys should also add Gary Numan's song "Cars" to your setlist as that would fit the name just fine.

The singer in me understands that set list well. You're alternating the really tough Sting stuff with the much easier to sing Cars material.

Who'd you get to sing lead on Police dB? That's not an easy task!

Oh yeah... I'd put I Want You To Want Me last in your encores. Surrender's a great song but not as well known.

Archived