Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great Pianists of the 20th Century - DVD

humannoyed

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't seen it but I'd like a full list of the pianists featured. Somehow, I don't think it includes my favorites. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I doubt if the footage includes all those who should have been included, but maybe only some of which there was some passable video and audio of.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I own a copy and it's great. Ran as a PBS special originally, I think. Really cool to see Cortot, for example, in very old footage. What a fascinating player he was!

It's very helpful to see how different, unique, and personal their approaches to music are. I get bound up trying to do things "right." These guys play the music the way it comes out of them. They make their own "right."

This video sounds like an off shoot of the exhaustive project Phillips, the classical label giant undertook awhile back. It was also partially sponsored by Steinway.

http://www.classicalnotes.net/columns/pianoweb.html

I have only one CD from this huge compilation. The Edwin Fischer Edition. Fischer was the first pianist to record Bach's WTC, a landmark in the early 20th Century. On this particular edition I have, the recordings of various Preludes & Fugues, Chromatic Fantasy, Concerto in D minor and more were recorded at Abbey Road. The years of the recordings date from 1931-38.

I don't know if the entire compilation is out of print but I'd invest in it. For Classical piano fans it's has good has it gets.

Too bad there's not a version of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

They make their own "right."
What a great quote, "make your own 'right.'"

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This video sounds like an off shoot of the exhaustive project Phillips, the classical label giant undertook awhile back. It was also partially sponsored by Steinway.

http://www.classicalnotes.net/columns/pianoweb.html

I have only one CD from this huge compilation. The Edwin Fischer Edition. Fischer was the first pianist to record Bach's WTC, a landmark in the early 20th Century. On this particular edition I have, the recordings of various Preludes & Fugues, Chromatic Fantasy, Concerto in D minor and more were recorded at Abbey Road. The years of the recordings date from 1931-38.

I don't know if the entire compilation is out of print but I'd invest in it. For Classical piano fans it's has good has it gets.

Wow! that is quite extensive. Too bad they botched some of the digital tranfers (according to the reviewer - see Gieseking) I've been wanting to hear Gieseking play Ravel and Debussy.

I am almost embarrassed to say I have heard only a few of those pianists...

Is anyone ready for a "great keyboardists of the 20th century" satellite radio station?...There isn't one already is there? (I don't have satellite radio, but I would have to get it if there was)

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I borrowed a record of Gieseking doing Debussy from the library once, and thought it was amazing... he really felt the music and had lots of COLORS at his fingertips.

A caveat: this was 20 or so years ago, and I am not a pianist nor I do have real classical training.. much as I love to play Bach on the mandolin. I have been a serious listener to classical music including piano for many years, though!

For what it's worth, I highly recommend picking up a CD of Mr. G doing Debussy... and intend to do so myself! (One of many CD purchases that got lost in the shuffle!)

I have Geiseking playing the Debussy Preludes, and it's absolutely stunning

To coin the current phrase..."he da man".

I have "Debussy: The Complete Works for Piano" in a 4 CD box set on EMI. (7243 5 65855 2) The recordings date from 1951-54. He was considered the long time king of Debussy interpreters certainly for the middle to late 20th Century.

This guy's recording of the Preludes is considered a classic these days.

http://www.1000recordings.com/music/preludes-krystian-zimerman/

Don't know if anyone is familiar with Krystian Zimmerman but in addition to being one of the greatest pianists in the world, the guy is an amazing piano tech who works on his own piano before a concert. He played at Disney Hall, I think it was either last year or the year before, he brought his OWN Hamburg Steinway D. Can you imagine the cost and hassle shipping and flying that thing around to selected concerts around the US! And I bitch about my CP300. I hear he's the most meticulous pianist concertizing today about his piano--obviously, if he's going to that trouble. Keith Jarrett doesn't look like such a nitpicker next to him.

a bit off topic, not trying to hijack the thread though

I enjoyed this (below) on recommendation from the guy I study with. He's a huge Richter fan. Funny, Sal Mosca, the guy he (my teach) studied with originally and a compatriot of Warne Marsh bandmate wise which dovetails into the west coast C.Fischer 'cell' was a straight ahead Horowitz and Gould guy and didn't think Richter was anything particularly special.

Funny about things like that in terms of perceptions of people on and from that level I found.

Some people prefer less austere forms of perfection(s). I think I'm on the fence on that for now!

anywho

I have the Enigma and it's pretty good.

Supposedly Richter's claim of being able to perform without much practice is disputed.

He did posses an unusual character for a Russian (musician of da state) and kinda went head to head with the state to some degree and was punished if I remember. He is actually half German as per his surname. Interesting life story and he did indeed posses 'attitude', in his playing and his personality.

very much like a jazz cat which is why homme likes him.

unfortunately my exposure to seriously playing classical piano stared in my 30's and I always feel alittle half baked about the topic though I have gone through & studied/played a substantial number of classical pieces in the past 20 years.

I do enjoy classical music but I missed playing/studying it as a kid, I caught up to it a bit later in life.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VYGNV1PCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived