Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well, that was fast...

SMcD

What's up with all the Nord Electro 3 hate recently? Seems that last month, everybody was in love with it, and now nobody here wants it! Is that just the natural cycle of GAS? ;)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know...

If I were building my gear set-up from scratch, I'd look seriously at a NE3 73. But for now, I'm waiting for Nord to build my 61 key waterfall over 73 key weighted with all the capabilities of the Electro, Stage and C1. That'd be cool.

Of course, the fastest thing around here is kanker weighing in on mono vs. stereo pianos.

:D

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Hmmm, it seemed to me that in a couple threads ("I want to be cloned" and "NE2 vs. NE3", I believe), there was a definite preference for the XK-3c over the NE3. Is the honeymoon over already? It may just be me playing things up in me head. ;)

Hmmm, it seemed to me that in a couple threads ("I want to be cloned" and "NE2 vs. NE3", I believe), there was a definite preference for the XK-3c over the NE3. Is the honeymoon over already? It may just be me playing things up in me head. ;)

In the States, there HAS BEEN no honeymoon - nobody has seen one yet but Eric. For those needing a strong hammond interface with drawbars, a new nord doesn't lure any more than an old one would.

Moe

---

That's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. XK3c is king of the hill for ONLY vintage tonewheel realism with the UI to match. The NE3 is a killer organ, EP, clav, CP80, Vox, etc. plus sample player. They cover different grounds altogether.

I do agree that the patch access situation on the NE3 is a small step backwards from the NE2.

Moe...I've seen it too, although I took a trip to Canada to do it (I was already in Detroit).

The organ is nice, definitely a step up from we're used to in Nord, the sample section was cool, but didn't grab me (the software tools would need to be really good as there's no on-board tweaking of envelopes, etc.), and the pianos are Stage.

Of course, this was the Cliff Notes version of my impression.

It made me decide to buy a Compact instead. (Good amount cheaper if you look, and available here!)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Does the Stage Compact have the C1 organ? How does it compare in quality?

Nope. Sad, in that one would think a flagship board would have the best available organ.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have had the Electro 3 for a few days now, having just sold a Nord Stage 88.

I've never owned an Electro 2, but I have played them quite a few times at shared rehearsal spaces, and as rental backline.

I would say that the Electro 3 is a significant upgrade in these areas:

1. Organ section, overdrive and Leslie Sim are much better. And yes, I'd say MUCH better.

1a. ....plus the combo organs.....

2. Amp simulator is useful for shaping the electric piano sounds.

3. Acoustic pianos - while not my favorite part of the Nord, are much improved. I played them from a weighted controller the other night, and feel they would be usable. Same sounds I had on my Stage, but playing them from my Yamaha P250 made them much nicer touchwise.

4. I am not going to swear to it without doing an A/B - but I think the output level is hotter.

5. The samples can be very useful - for me, just having a few mellotron sounds handy is a nice thing. It will not replace a full fledged rompler, but it is a pretty cool addition.

6. EQ with sweepable mids. Nice.

The Electro 2 is still a very fine board, though, and especially when the 3 is available in the US, you will be able to get them at excellent prices.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Archived