Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying used software DAW HELP quick

BluesKeys

I know some of you are using Cakewalk Sonar 6 Producer. Have you tried to load it on a second machine?

I am wondering if I buy Sonar 6 producer from a guy off Craigslist will I be able to install and use it. He claims he never registered the program and that he has removed it from his computer. I don't want to buy something only to find out Cakewalk will not install.

Anyone with experience here

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks delirium,

The reason I asked is I was looking at this video of an install and it showed the licensing agreement that mentioned you agree not to intall on more than one computer or to resell the softeware.

http://www.vtc.com/products/Cakewalk-Sonar-6-Producer-Edition-Tutorials.htm

I was looking at installing Sonar pt1

It spooked me.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

It will let you as Cakewalk is very customer friendly with copy protection. However, if he did register it or if he bought it as an upgrade, you will not be able to register it and you will not qualify for upgrades. If you can trust him at his word you may be ok. I wonder what the percentage of trustworthy people selling used software on CL might be?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Rabid, delirium and Timwat you guys must be geniuses. OF COURSE HE LIED to me. Yes the software is registered already otherwise he would only have had 30 days use according to the pop up screen every time you open Sonar 6. However he is contacting Cakewalk and changing his email address to mine so I will just assume his name and get updates as Mr. Charles __________.

I got the program installed with the registration number, but I cannot seem to get it to playback my already recorded files (from nTracks). And It doesn't seem happy with my SoundMAX HD Audio card and says

"The following drivers either do not support the current audio format or are in use by another application. Please choose whether you want to disable or use anyway."

So I have some trouble shooting to do here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Windows has grabbed the SoundMAX HD Audio card for its own use.

Go to Control Panel -> Sound -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Audio. Make sure that Windows is sending its own sounds to your internal computer sound card. Sonar should be sending your Sonar audio through the SoundMAX HD Audio card.

I don't know how to get Sonar to play the nTracks audio. Have you tried the File -> Import option? Since it's not a native Sonar file, this is what you probably should look into.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If you have an internal soundcard on your mobo and you've added another one your best bet is to go into the BIOS and disable the internal card. That way all your sounds will play through your better card.

Next stop would be to disable all Windows sounds...you don't need them when you're recording, you can turn them on when you aren't using Sonar.

Now go into Sonar and choose your card as the only card for Sonar to use, then you can set Sonar to match the specs on your card. For instance I record at 96khz and 24 bit...top spec for my card. If you are set to a spec above or below what your card is rated at you won't be able to record any sound.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase :)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

I have a laptop with only the internal card. I have been using it for nTracks (DAW) and I guess I need to take it off there to be able to use it with Sonar 6 Pro?

Sonar won't let me select it because it being used by another program or is missing drivers. Since I know it works with nTracks then it is not the drivers.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

However he is ......changing his email address to mine so I will just assume his name and get updates as Mr. Charles __________.

That might freak me out a bit!

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

I have a laptop with only the internal card. I have been using it for nTracks (DAW) and I guess I need to take it off there to be able to use it with Sonar 6 Pro?

Sonar won't let me select it because it being used by another program or is missing drivers. Since I know it works with nTracks then it is not the drivers.

nTracks might be more relaxed about the type of driver it will use. Sonar wants WDM or ASIO. I know I can use Sony Acid Pro on cards that Sonar will not use because of this. If the card does not have ASIO drivers give ASIO4all a try.

Also, see if nTracks will export into a file format that Sonar will open. That may help you transfer your songs.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'd say that assuming someone else's identity to get software isn't the most ethical thing to do. Cakewalk is one of the few companies that trust their users. Please don't prove them wrong Jim.

/soapbox

At the same time, not allowing license transfers is unethical. Nowhere outside of the software world can you get away with that, and the legality of it in software is questionable at best.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Here is what I have

SoundMax Audio HD Card W/Driver ADIDAud.sys

Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz 795 MHz 1 gig Ram

Windows XP Pro V 2002 service pack 3

PreSonus Firepod (older version of Firestudio)

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=3

I can't get the tutoral to play back and will try recording.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived