Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Self build double keyboard

Hobo

So I've just finished my latest "build". Bottom keyboard is fully weighted Fatar, top keyboard is Fatar's waterfall keyboard for organ playing. Sides are made from elm, all other visible wood is mahogany, and the shell, underneath the brown tolex, is ply.

It weighs just under 20kgs (44lbs)

Got it all hooked up to Mainstage which is on a Mac Mini with touchscreen.

Now I'm starting my next one - the same as this but with semi weighted bottom board to reduce the weight by a half ( i'm hoping! )

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1815251_KB.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sell it? Maybe could get in the business of build to order...

Thanks for the positive feedback.

MoKen - no sites that I know of, sorry. It's mostly basic electronics though. Although you should never really say "basic" where electricity is involved....

Very cool! :thu: Where are you based if we wanted to order one? ;)

(Personally I'd want the middle Cs to line up, but I'm goofy like that.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Is there another place we can view this? The pic won't load for some reason...

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

If this was available commercially, with built in sounds, I'd definately consider buying one. The thought of having both 88 weighted AND waterfall in one unit is very tempting. Especially with the two keyboards in that close proximity. It's nice that you lined up to "C"s. I do the same with my dual boards, but I offset them so middle C lines up with Middle C.

I'd like to see how it connects, and what the controls do as well. As far as weight, it's only 4 lbs heavier than my current digital piano.

Very Nice!

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

And tell us what the buttons, knobs and sliders do. How do you have them assigned?

Why didn't you put in pitch bend and mod wheels?

I was only half teasing when I asked if you want to sell it. But, considering the responses you've gotten... :idea:

It does look nice. Can we see the front/back/underneath?

Thanks. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

REALLY BEAUTIFUL!

there is clearly a lot of interest.

add my name to the list of buyers...

I mean it!

Keep the bottom board hammer weighted

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Sell it? Maybe could get in the business of build to order...

Thanks for the positive feedback.

MoKen - no sites that I know of, sorry. It's mostly basic electronics though. Although you should never really say "basic" where electricity is involved....

Sign me up.

Seriously. I want one. PM me to discuss if you do decide you want to do this for hire. I'll be waiting patiently in line behind the folks that replied before me.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Wow - looks like you've go yourself a fledgling business here, if you want it!!!!!!
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I love the drawbar sliders.

If it was 61 top and 88 weighted bottom with middle C lined up, I'd buy one, too.

Willie Dixon

What is middle C on an organ? If you are using traditional registrations, with the 8' drawbar being the fundamental, then middle C is lined up. That said, we typically use 16' all or most of the way out, dropping the range an octave. Regardless I don't really mind the offset as long as the keys line up. I could play that rig all day long with a big old sh!t eating grin on my face.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hobo,

This may be asking too much, but could I maybe have the 61-key upper movable so that it can be positioned to the left or to the right? (You'll have to make the controls movable too). I'm just thinking that sometimes I might want the upper on the right (as pictured) for right-handed organ work, but other times I might want it on the left for left-handed synth bass.

Or, I'd be interested in looking at one with a 76-key hammer action on the bottom and a 76-key synth action on the top.

Oh yeah, aftertouch on both keyboards.

Thanks. Where do I send the check?

Larry.

What is middle C on an organ? If you are using traditional registrations, with the 8' drawbar being the fundamental, then middle C is lined up. That said, we typically use 16' all or most of the way out, dropping the range an octave. Regardless I don't really mind the offset as long as the keys line up. I could play that rig all day long with a big old sh!t eating grin on my face.

The way I line up my piano and organ is with the C lined up, and there is an octave on the Piano above the Hammond. One of my main registrations is 88 80000 88, which works out so that if I move in the same octave from the piano to the organ, it sounds in the same octave. Same with another of my favorites, 86 86004 68.

Of course, with a sweet instrument like that, I could adjust. I never go anywhere without piano and organ, and it would be sweet to only have to bring in one instrument.

Willie Dixon

...or at least not be so cack-handed!

I don't know what that means exactly.

However, I'm not sure you can say that on a family forum. :eek::laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived