Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Toto finished

ikeaman

hey DonaldM i got that album as well!! i remember buying it and played it once recording it straight into a chrome cassette! still have it somewhere. eventually bought the CD when it came out. they even released one of those'soundpages' things in keyboard mag with one of the tunes from it.

there is another one called the 'the sheffield drum record' with other guys : Robbie Buchanan, James Newton Howard, Lenny Castro, Nathan East, Mike Landau, Carlos Vega and Jim Keltner. all awesome session guys as you know. direct to disc and good as well if you can find it. i think this cd was intended to test your stereo equipment.

both albums sound really punchy and although those dx's sound pretty dated i can still listen to them without cringing. the playing is of course immense!

ive also got one called 'super live at the baked potato' which has Luke, Jeff Porcaro, Greg Matheison and Pops Popwell. very cool rock/fusion instrumentals recorded in the 80s. check it out if you can find it.

i only found these cd's in japan (for like crazy money!) and i dont know if theyve been released elsewhere. wonder what they would sound like if they re-mastered them onto something like dvd-audio or HDCD

wasnt that Lionel Richie album called 'cant slow down' or something. i remember hearing 'running with the night' and when the solo came on i instantly said' thats definitely luke!'

ikeaman

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

george forman grill ( special edition w removable plates )

kopparberg non alcoholic pear cider

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toto is one of my biggest influences, and the influence to me extends to everything those guys played on. When I say I'm influenced by Toto, I mean that I'm influenced by all that Michael Jackson in the 80s, I'm influenced by the Michael Macdonald that Lukather and Jeff P are on, I'm influenced by all the Steely Dan that Jeff is on, not to mention David Benoit's 'Freedom at Midnight', which to me is not about Benoit's playing, but about the delicious groove that Jeff and his dad lay down.

All the Toto tunes are also directly a huge influence. The studio solos on all the songs on 'Toto IV' are masterpieces! Africa, Rosanna, Waiting for Your Love, those tunes have consummate studio solos. And arrangements!

When you consider Toto as an influence beyond just their band, but an influence with all the studio stuff those guys touched, their contribution is irrefutable. Paich's work alone could be considered an arranging and DX7 masterclass.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Luke has had more comments today. From Melodicrock:

LUKE TALKS MORE TOTO:

An update to Steve Lukather's very personal note of Friday. Posted today at stevelukather.net:

"Hey guys, Well It seems I started a fire storm. That was never my intent. It was really to explain myself. My comment about Hold the Line was a bit harsh and it reads more serious than I meant it. I was a tongue in cheek statement. ALL those songs have been VERY VERY good to me and the guys. I am sorry if I sounded like an @!#$. I would like to retract that statement. I am a bit BURNT on it but they have become somewhat classic so who am I to say such stupid things. I am sorry. YOU guys have made Toto and aslo been there for me as well. I hope that doesnt change.

I also have nothing but the deepest respect for all the guys. I did not want to make it seem otherwise. This was a personal decision that I needed to make and they all knew it before the last tour anyway.

I want to thank everyone for the well wishes and understanding. This is NOT a hateful move at all. It has been a long time coming for me and those around me. Paich and the Porcaro's knew and totally understood and I asked them before I posted. I was just getting alot of e mail about all of it due to my comments so I wanted to post my feelings. You might get other opinions from other people but speculation on WHY I left is ridiculous unless you know me or someone in the band and even then one mans truth is not another mans truth alot of the time.

Sometimes one just has to move on.

I hope to see some of you at one of my shows and hope we can still be friends. I know some of you may be upset with me. I guess I cant help that Anyone who REALLY knows me knows where I am at. I am sorry if I have upset anyone. The music will live on. I am very proud of what we have done over ALL the years and I am sorry if I made it sound like I wasnt.

Have a great day, Luke."

This is not a shock at all after Luke's recent comments. The band went out on a high, with one of their best albums and tours. Falling in Between is a masterpiece. The show I saw in Sept 2006 in Vegas was outstanding, and the best show I went to in 2006 and I'm very glad I paid to fly up there, which I had to do because I was gigging during their date in LA (and damn, during the one in 2007). I've heard inside bad news about Mike...you notice Luke states he has fallen ill..It's an illness, not an injury as previously stated. Mike isn't coming back. Sad. I've been a fan of these guys for 20 years. It's funny us metalheads in high school in 1983 were working on our metal chops in guitar class. Our geeky teacher Jay kept telling us "you should listen to Toto" and we thought he was full of it. Funny how things change, I'm a huge fan.

John

99 is my favorite Toto (and SL) song. Here it is on YT. In stereo too.

I think the issue with Toto was that for having such skilled musicianship, it's surprising they did so many pop love ballads, un-memorable "b" songs on the flip sides of their albums, and had few, if any, progressive/art rock songs that they seemed to be so capable of pulling off. The other issue is that when Toto 4 won a record number of Grammys people looked at each other and scratched their heads. We knew they were good, but worthy of that much praise?

Snowleopard,

So let me get this straight: It surprises you that they pursued platinum selling, multi-million-dollar-earning Pop hits in lieu of playing prog rock? Any of those guys can show off their chops at any of a plethora of local LA clubs on any given night. Toto wasn't about that.

I'm a Toto fan as well for many years; though not to the extent that some of you are. I will say that at their best they were incredible, but at times they were also amazingly sappy. I can understand the Love/Hate thing that some folks have with them.

Mike has Lou Gherig's disease from what I understand. I know a couple people who are friends with Joe Porcaro and that's the word. Very very sad. Joe Porcaro could live to see two sons pass before he does.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Semi OT, but TOTALLY relevant - if you guys haven't seen the 'Yacht Rock' episodes re: Toto, Loggins, Messina, Michael McDonald, etc., etc - you're missing out! NOT work safe, but absolutely hilarious (if you're into that sort of thing :D )

Check 'em out on You Tube...

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Besides, you could replace SL with any decent guitarist and they'd sound just fine. Maybe better. It's not like he's Eric Johnson.

Wow. Just wow.

Actually, when I think about it you make a funny (unintentional) point.

Steve Lukather has arguably been one of the most influential guitarists in the world over the past 30 years. So...yeah, there are actually plenty of copycats around to replace him that have been working hard to BE him. :-)

I'm sure that SL is a stellar talent, but I've heard his playing in several contexts (even on the Tonight Show), and it doesn't really move me. The tunes all have that elevator jazz sound, and something about his tone doesn't blend right for me. (One person's opinion.)

EJ, on the other hand, sounds as though he was sent from heaven to teach us all how the electric guitar was meant to sound. Beyond his amazing dexterity, his feel and tone are extremely satisfying on an instinctive level (much more so than Vai or Satriani, IMO). My favorite guitarists (EJ, Holdsworth, Larry Carlton, et al.) all have amazing tone and feel.

I would guess that EJ gets more respect than SL on guitar fanboy sites, but that's hardly the most important criterium.

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I saw them live ... forget the year and don't want to admit how old I am anyway ... they were lugging around that huge Polyfusion modular synth with them. Uh, "Damius", right? Short of Emerson, not too many folks were brave enough to try and do that live. Gotta give them respect for that!

The keyboard arrangements worked out between Steve Porcaro and David Paich were pretty amazing and there wasn't much on the studio albums that they didn't pull off live without a hitch.

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Besides, you could replace SL with any decent guitarist and they'd sound just fine. Maybe better. It's not like he's Eric Johnson.

Wow. Just wow.

Actually, when I think about it you make a funny (unintentional) point.

Steve Lukather has arguably been one of the most influential guitarists in the world over the past 30 years. So...yeah, there are actually plenty of copycats around to replace him that have been working hard to BE him. :-)

I'm sure that SL is a stellar talent, but I've heard his playing in several contexts (even on the Tonight Show), and it doesn't really move me. The tunes all have that elevator jazz sound, and something about his tone doesn't blend right for me. (One person's opinion.)

EJ, on the other hand, sounds as though he was sent from heaven to teach us all how the electric guitar was meant to sound. Beyond his amazing dexterity, his feel and tone are extremely satisfying on an instinctive level (much more so than Vai or Satriani, IMO). My favorite guitarists (EJ, Holdsworth, Larry Carlton, et al.) all have amazing tone and feel.

I would guess that EJ gets more respect than SL on guitar fanboy sites, but that's hardly the most important criterium.

:D

I'm not sure how this turned into "Lukather vs. Johnson". They're two completely different guitarists and they're both (IMO) great.

I was commenting on the "you could replace SL with any decent guitarist and they'd sound just fine" part of your post. I think that is severely underestimating the impact that Luke has had on the music community.

Archived