Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Toto finished

ikeaman

hey anyone seen this?

http://www.totonetwork.com

i always dug them but my non muso friends hated them! david paich and steve porcaro were my biggest influences (although they werent really in the band anymore..it was greg philingaines..he was great as well).

ikeaman

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

george forman grill ( special edition w removable plates )

kopparberg non alcoholic pear cider

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Another end of an era. Based on what Luke blogged there, I doubt if we'll ever see them together again, but you never know. I know DP has been 'FREE' for a few years, doing other stuff.

Wonder what Phillingaines is going to do now? Greg, if you're reading this - the K2500 and K2600 STILL use the same piano rom! :D

CJ @ Kurzweil

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

hey cj, funny a lot of people i know never even knew that toto were still going throughout the 90s...people only seem to know africa and rosanna but they are so much more than that :)

..btw i have an old video of greg p. playing in japan with quincy jones' band in the 80's and he's totally smokin' on a CP80 / minimoog. he looked about 12 :) yeah...i think i remember reading somewhere that he's MDing a few gigs here and there. busy cat!

i also read that d. paich has been doing some music for the coming olympics.

ikeaman

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

Wow...I wish I would have seen them (or had the opportunity is more accurate). I didn't like the last disc so much, but Minefields was brilliant.

I like Steve's "Los Lobotomies/Candyman" disc a lot; I hope he has some good success. I notice he isn't doing much US touring solo either.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I have news for Lukather. Toto was finished when Jeff Porcaro died.

Besides, you could replace SL with any decent guitarist and they'd sound just fine. Maybe better. It's not like he's Eric Johnson.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I must admit, what little I heard of their music as a kid at the time kept me away. I heard how all the guys in the band were super talented musicians, but at the time I never heard it and never dug into it.

Reading Lukather's post, he sounds like he's been unhappy with what's been happy with the band for a long time. I hope he finds the happiness he's looking for.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

i been lucky enough to see them about 5 times over the years and even when jeff and steve p. was still with them (back in 1988 7th one tour at great america for 5 bucks!). yeah dan no one could replace jeff. so do you think SL is a more generic kind of guitar player than anything? i do love eric johnson's playing.

s porcaro and d paich had the most awesome keyboard arrangements between both of them. they could both shred and support! does anyone know any other rock/pop double keyboard guys that had the same kind of vibe?

ikeaman

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

I don't know about Lukather being all THAT replaceable. First off, he's the main vocalist; second, he's a main writer; third, he's actually a pretty happening guitarist. I love Eric Johnson; but the same could be said of him, that he was finished after Ah Via Musicom; it's not true of course, but he didn't expand his already immense vocabulary, or increase his fanbase.

But Lukather has been pretty bitter about Toto for years; I remember reading some whiny rant by him in a magazine back in the late 80s/early 90s blaming Americans for being too stupid to "get" Toto. I remember thinking he needed to come up with music that wasn't too "bland" for Americans. Even today I think their records are spotty; the playing is spectacular, the arrangements are very smart, and when their songs are good, they're REALLY f'n good, but there's a lot of filler (stuff I just don't like)in there. Some of their records are just plain unlistenable, but I might be a stupid American!

But man, when they were on, that stuff is really good.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Besides, you could replace SL with any decent guitarist and they'd sound just fine. Maybe better. It's not like he's Eric Johnson.

Wow. Just wow.

Actually, when I think about it you make a funny (unintentional) point.

Steve Lukather has arguably been one of the most influential guitarists in the world over the past 30 years. So...yeah, there are actually plenty of copycats around to replace him that have been working hard to BE him. :-)

Here's a world class video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq4ychrRkQA&feature=related

I paid them zero attention since the 80's and forgot what a great outfit they are. I have been watching these youtube things for about the last hour. I can't begin to imagine what a nightmare doing that live must have been and how many soundmen they must have gone through.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

here's more 80s toto!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xQbclkIfls

cool dual keyboard solo with mullets and DX1s ;)

i always thought that 'isolation' album was pretty awesome

ikeaman

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

wow. Post that on a Guitar forum & I bet you'd get flamed for weeks! :laugh:

Don't bet on it. No one on the GTP forum here give a shit about Toto.

(ETA) I'm about to test the above hypothesis. Watch carefully....

wow. Post that on a Guitar forum & I bet you'd get flamed for weeks! :laugh:

Don't bet on it. No one on the GTP forum here give a shit about Toto.

(ETA) I'm about to test the above hypothesis. Watch carefully....

Griff...you are sooooooo wrong.

Luke rips it up...as does Toto. :thu:

I also like Journey, Styx, and Kansas. :D

I NEVER understood the dissing that Toto received.

Their lesser tunes are far beyond the best of other bands.

In fact, I would take Toto over Metallica any day.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

somtimes i think no one likes them because its hip to not like them. is it because of their musicianship? i dont think so? they are monster players. music? well i agree with GuitarPlayerFL..their filler tunes are still a lot better than other band's best tunes.

maybe it the curse that if youre a bunch of first call session musos and try to put a decent band together, it almost always ends up with too many fancy bits, solos and notes etc :)

maybe its this...i actually sense a lot of bitterness a lot of musos have towards them because everytime they try to and attempt to do toto covers...they can never get it right. so they just give up and end up hating the band. i have tried many times to do a decent cover of a toto tune and yes its not the easiest to do but i dont end up being bitter..in fact i try to push myself and strive to play like that..even to just get the feel right ...maybe one day ;)

if i sound like a fanboy...sorry! i can talk about it for hours...but then i can talk about dream theater / steely dan / journey and bands like that for hours as well!

ikeaman

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

There are prominent rock critics who despise progressive rock and all forms of sophisticated musicianship. In fact, Rolling Stone magazine waged something of a holy war to eradicate progressive rock during the seventies, using reviews of groups like Yes and Genesis as platforms to rant for their cause. While these critics love to indulge in polysyllabic and obscure words in their reviews, they can't stand bands that adopt a similar musical philosophy that favors polyrhythms and obscure chords.

I suppose that many of these biased journalists are jealous, failed musicians. That would certainly explain their hypocrisy.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I also like Journey, Styx, and Kansas. :D

I got no issues with Journey, Styx, or Kansas.

Nor do I have any issues with Toto - but SL was definitely not the centerpiece of that band.

Take Toto out of the equation and Luke is still an immense influence on a ton of todays guitarists (a lot of them don't even know it.)

I NEVER understood the dissing that Toto received.

Their lesser tunes are far beyond the best of other bands.

In fact, I would take Toto over Metallica any day.

Totally agree. As musicians they were among the elite. I can stil remember how amazed I was at the musicianship when I listened to their arrangements. I still have all of their original ALBUMS in excellent condition. These guys were real musicians, no doubt about it.

Didin't I hear recently that one of the Pocaro's had passed away?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

I have another album here that was produced at Sheffield Labs in LA. It was a direct to disc recording done by James Newton Howard and friends. The friends are: David Paich (on synths), Steve Porcaro (on synths), Jeff Porcaro (on drums) and Joe Porcaro (their dad, on percussion). Its a great album with some great musicians. Imagine having to get it right on the first take!

A little tidbit of history, but David Paich, James Newton Howard and Steve Porcaro were commissioned by Yamaha to write and demo new music for the DX7's at the 83 or 84 NAMM. The Sheffield album features primariy DX7s and GS1s.

Also, check the liner notes on some of the recordings of the 80s, and you'll see all the guys from Toto doing various back up work. One of the most notable was Lionel Ritchie's album (title escapes at the moment, but it had "Hello" on it).

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Well, I don't give a rat's a$$ about what a bunch of RS poseurs think, Toto is a monster band in all its incarnations. It is wonderful to see all that talent at work putting out that music. I've been mowing the lawn for an hour or two and could not get Africa out of my head. I am real glad this thread got going. Thanks!

In fact, Rolling Stone magazine waged something of a holy war to eradicate progressive rock during the seventies, using reviews of groups like Yes and Genesis as platforms to rant for their cause.

Rolling Stone has ALWAYS been a trendy POS. And aren't they connected with the joke R&R Hall of Fame?

Yeah, Springsteen is the saviour of Rock & Roll while Yes are wankers. :rolleyes:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Just when I had my blood pressure back down after the whiteboard foolishness...does the whiteboard guru work for RS?

:crazy:

Please disregard this post. It was written under a cloud of frustration. I really do not want to cross-post or vector-off the thread. I just couldn't help it!

Also, check the liner notes on some of the recordings of the 80s, and you'll see all the guys from Toto doing various back up work. One of the most notable was Lionel Ritchie's album (title escapes at the moment, but it had "Hello" on it).

You can also find them on a modestly successful album called "Thriller."

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

Well, I'll wipe the egg off my face and tell you that my poll had some surprising results. I had no idea of Lukather's immense body of work outside of Toto.

Granted, I don't think highly of the guitar work on, for example, Peter Criss, but at the very least, the man had a hell of a work ethic... :thu:

Archived