Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stuff you've played (well) and scared the audience

tarkus

... maybe not scare them, but got a response you didn't expect.

I've been in many different bands and played lots of gigs.

There's always one or two songs that (as a musician) I enjoy playing - and executiong perfectly, but some how the audience just doesn't get it.

I'll see what this provokes...

Have fun!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of classical stuff comes to mind. In general, any piece that ends softly is usually a dud, no matter what happened in the body of the piece. :laugh:

As a violinist primarily, there was a composer named Eugene Ysaye who wrote mindblowingly difficult and virtuosic stuff for the violin. Its incredibly impressive................ to a violinist. :laugh: Ive played a few of his Solo Violin Sonatas in recital, and really did well and expected a thunderous ovation. Nope. :bor: The audience didnt get it at all.

There was/is a famous japanese violinist named Midori, a child prodigy. She was on the Tonight Show when she was 11, and I was watching with some non-music friends. She played Paganini Caprice #1, a very flashy, difficult etude. I was digging how well she was playing, but my friends were almost furious. They kept saying "When is she going to play a song"?? :laugh:

Playing live music is all about the perfomance - not only the actual notes you play. Audience reacts to how you present the music in general - how you look, what you say, the body language, face expressions, etc. All the visual/emotional part is not less important then music.

If I'm given a choice between seeing a band/musician with difficult material, performed flawlessly, but presented in boring fashion (say, jazz), and a band playing basic stuff, but great presentation (rhythm-n-blues) - I'd go for second one. This is why soul/rock'n'roll/rap/etc are so popular and art-rock/jazz/classical/experimental music are much less.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Not what I was looking for, but when you play 30+ songs per gig, it's nice to toss in something you like to play rather than Mustang Sally or Rock n' Roll...

I follow, but I'd really like to hear how you've gotten a response that didn't meet your expectation.

If I'm given a choice between seeing a band/musician with difficult material, performed flawlessly, but presented in boring fashion (say, jazz), and a band playing basic stuff, but great presentation (rhythm-n-blues) - I'd go for second one. This is why soul/rock'n'roll/rap/etc are so popular and art-rock/jazz/classical/experimental music are much less.

Classical has been around for 300 years and still going strong. Most of the concerts I play in various venues have very solid audiences. If the orchestra is playing half-assed, its time to find another one to hear. :laugh: The popularity (or lack of) in those genres has more to do with a knowledgable audience. Classical is way too complicated for the average Joe, but there are some very exciting performances.

Before we formed organissimo, the guitarist led a quartet with me on Wurlitzer electric piano and Hammond, a drummer, and a bassist. We played the local Lansing Jazz Fest and had the worst slot; opening day, Friday, at 5pm. Nobody was there.

Well, a few people... mainly really old people. They must've been expecting straight-ahead stuff. We started out playing some fusion tune (an long forgotten original, iirc) in a weird time signature; distorted guitar, Wurlizter through a ring mod, electric bass, etc. The drums were also mic'd up and EQ'd like a rock kit, with a monsterous kick drum and all.

About 1 minute into the tune this old guy stands up with a look of disgust on his face, throws his hands up in the air in exasperation, and walks away.

And I believe the bassist has it on video.

:)

can you say Tower of Power...this is not only for my band but ANY band I have ever seen perform TOP. People don't get it.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I got a pretty confused response at a recital for doing John Cage's 4'33.

The most stunned I've ever seen an audience was when I was in a group that performed William Albright's "Take That" for 4 drummers and 16 bass drums. The usual concert-going crowd wasn't prepared for that sonic assault. :freak:

Cheers,

Tim

www.soundclick.com/TimothyDowd

Years ago, one of my music professors gave an electronic music recital as part of the Concert Series at my old school.

He was a session keyboardist and was actually considered to join YES prior to 90125. Didn't work out.

So now he's part of the Concert Program : Windham Hill artists, Various Quartets, noted pianists, Yo-Yo-Ma, you get the picture...

Most if not all of these concerts were Black-Tie events. Most 'supporters' bought a season of tickets as they were encouraged.

So Prof Bill calls me to help 'set-up' the show.

Nop prob. I run some errands, move some gear and make some calls.

The sound guy shows up and wheels in a big rig for the auditorium.

He soundchecks and I realize that Prof Bill is ear-busting - too much for anyone attending.

SHow time:

The Music Director introduces Prof Bill to the champagne and blue hair crowd.

He comes runnin out like he's got a rock audition!

Hits the first chord : "BBBBBLLLAAAAAAHHHHHMMMMM!!!!!!"

People start to flee the audience in droves! I mean runnin for the exits!

I felt bad for Prof Bill. He wasn't with the school too long after that.

A couple years ago I was at the Surf Ballroom for Joey D. A bunch of old ladies wearing red hats showed up and were gossiping like magpies the whole time. After a couple pointed remarks about being respectful, Joey called a funk jam and started kicking very loud slap bass samples on the rompler.

That cleared the blue hairs out ASAP. He took a short break and came back to play for the true fans. :)

Moe

---

can you say Tower of Power...this is not only for my band but ANY band I have ever seen perform TOP. People don't get it.

+1 in a big way. My band has had lukewarm success with What is Hip? and that is a fun song to play, plus we have a great trumpet player that can nail it. That is the only TOP song we will occasionally play. In the past, we spent some time learning Soul Vaccination, Diggin' on James Brown, So Very Hard to Go and some others. TOTAL AND COMPLETE DANCE FLOOR CLEARERS. Every single one of them. While it is fun music to play, no one seems to know it.

Another one that did not work so well was Fool in the Rain.

+1 in a big way. My band has had lukewarm success with What is Hip? and that is a fun song to play, plus we have a great trumpet player that can nail it. That is the only TOP song we will occasionally play. In the past, we spent some time learning Soul Vaccination, Diggin' on James Brown, So Very Hard to Go and some others. TOTAL AND COMPLETE DANCE FLOOR CLEARERS. Every single one of them. While it is fun music to play, no one seems to know it.

Eric, I have heard bands or played in bands that did every one of those songs and they are not easy to master but large fun to play. Even when the band nails the tune dead on the people walk off the floor. But something like Play That Funky Music White Boy works every time.... there is no accounting for the taste of the general public.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

We did Black Napkins one night. Nailed it.

golf clap. <"Hey was that Santana? I love Santana! Oye Como Va!...">

Recently - Ezy Rider - Jimi Hendrix. Perfect +1.

Golf Clap.

Best Response from off the wall song:

Cosmic Debris - Halloween Night. We had a guy dressed like Frank Zappa come up and sing it. The place went wild.

We played three more Zappa tunes: Teenage Wind, Apostrophe, Advanced Romance - "More Frank!" Encore - encore!

We have a different reaction to ToP. We play "Soul With A Capitol S" right into "What Is Hip?" every gig and it goes over like gangbusters. Packs the floor.

The one that scares the audience is "Tyrone" by Erika Badu. The subject matter is a little different than some are used to hearing.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Well back in the day, we were a rock cover band when we first started. One of the songs we did a cover of was The Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels. Its considered a country song but the band loved to play it and we felt it crossed over enough. The audiences never seemed to like it because it was considered a country Song. It was considered taboo in the 80's with hard rock fans I guess. We used to always get asked why we played that song since it was a country song. I always wondered if it had gotten airplay on a rock station if the crowds would have accepted it.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Archived