Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

your first ever Keyboard Magazine?

zephonic

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fondly remember my first issue:

http://www.svengolly.com/img/KeyboardJuly85_KateBush_263x350.jpg

July 1985. Kate Bush and a Fairlight. Two things that I lusted after for years, and still do.

Sadly enough, also two things that I've never laid a hand on. ;)

Ahem. :cool:

Okay, that's not true, I've played a Fairlight on a couple of occassions, but the joke was there and needed to be said. :D

I picked up the 1st issue with Chick on the cover in a music store while salivating over the Oberheim 2 voice that I wanted (and should have saved up and bought, but didn't. Got an Odyssey instead). I subscribed in time to get the 2nd issue with Herbie. I still have all of them (also in the basement), along with all the old "Polyphony" issues, that later turned into EM. My wife would really like to know why I save all these also - especially since I don't look at them anymore, and for the last few years, they have started accummulating in the upstairs closet. :rolleyes:
PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

Another for issue #1.....

I was 15 and just starting lessons. I was just checking out a music store (Heck Music in Ventura, CA) with new appreciation and the ability to play a C chord on all of 'boards, and saw the issue.

Been reading it ever since. Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago....yikes!

The first issue I bought was the April 1977 Brian Auger issue. I was browsing at the local Hallmark and saw it in the magazine racks. I already gotten my first synth (Minikorg) the previous Christmas and was thrilled with the magazine seeing folks playing all these different keyboard instruments. Heaven!!

I suscribed right away and soon after bought all the back issues so I am a proud owner of every issue.

I swear I'm not mental... :rolleyes: OK, not over-the-top mental. :freak: I just love going through the old issues, reading the reviews, staring at the ads, thinking where I was and what I was doing when those synths were for sale in the stores. :)

EXACTLY!!!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

The very first was issue #1, which my piano teacher gave me and which I kept for a while and then lost. The first issue I actually bought was early 1978, with Gary Wright on the cover, and then I accumulated and kept all until mid 1994. These all got purged out about 10-12 years ago, but the accumulation started again in around 2003.
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

Tony Banks - July, 1978. I'm sure it still resides somewhere in my parent's basement. I recall salivating over an ad in this issue depicting the Farfisa V.I.P. 600 combo organ!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The first issue of Keyboard that I ever held in my hands was the Jonathan Cain cover issue from the early 80's. My most favorite soundpage was the Dave Stewart/Barbara Gaskin song "Henry and James." It was one of the songs from their new CD "Up From The Dark." I have never been able to locate that CD - sure wish I could.

I loved that Stewart/Gaskin soundpage. Like you, I had to search high and low to find a copy of the CD (did so some 7 to 10 years ago). Unfortunately, the intro to Henry and James on the CD is not the same as the intro on the soundpage. Wish that I could find that soundpage version...

By the way, the Stewart / Gaskin stuff is now available online. You can find it here:

Dave & Barb's Music

Cheers,

Tim

www.soundclick.com/TimothyDowd

In fact my very first one was called "Keyboards"... It was marked as the issue # 9 (from 11/94) and it was in German.

To this very day I can't understand a single word from it... yet I still have it as a "memorabilia thing" (it was a gift I got from a friend of mine - 14 years ago!).

I am back.

Another #1 here. But is this really something we should be bragging about? Wasn't that about, oh, a quarter century ago?

Larry.

Here too... I wasn't gonna date myself with that one, but it seems I'm in good company.

Especially since it's actually a third of a century, but hey, who's counting? :cool:

-Mike

Mine was in the late 90's and I can't remember what was on it / in it. I remember all the gear discussion being way over my head though, but the master classes in it had me hooked! It was a masterclass on funky 2 fisted clav playing, and some of those patterns I still use!

In college I scoured the UCSD library basement which had back issues to the early 80s and I made photocopies of my favorite masterclasses.

I wish I had the whole collection. There's a ton of education sitting in them magazines.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived