Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Roger, I think. :)

It is a bit insane. I just tried to make up something fun to listen to. I even took out my whole solo over the changes -it wasn't part of the 'entertainment' package.

The tune reminded me a slight bit of Freddie Hubbard, and I just learned he passed today.

Yeah SK, that was fun to listen to - I'd like to hear it with your solo over the changes, too. :eek:

In tribute to Freddie's passing I'll post-up a little tune I wrote about 10 years ago. Similar to yours, it was an experiment in multi-tracking - I played all the parts. I was thinking of Freddie when I played the "trumpet" part.

http://stashbox.org/343085/Eternal_Truth_.mp3

Thanks for posting that, Mo'. Nice authentic sounding changes and I liked your whole tone ending.

Yeah, those horns sounded good, Piano4U.

Ok, here's an atypical (for me) version of a forgotten standard, "Young & Foolish." A nod to kad's fine vocal harmonies on this one. Also, being a traditional standard, I play it more like in 'days of yore.'

I found by splitting my keyboard and raising the bass an octave, the bass patch is almost useful. Once the bass comes in, it's LH bass and RH piano, which I played together in real time. I overdubbed the voices, and separately recorded the intro.

I concentrated mostly on making the bass lines sound real while I played, so the time gets a little suspicious - my left hand sort of took on it's own personality - but the best I could do on a dp.

For the bass solo, I switched hands backwards - so no, I don't have that kind of facility in my left hand. I also experimented with some different reverbs, with mixed results. Far from perfect - close enough for reharm.

(slightly longer than usual) : http://stashbox.org/348609/Y%26F.mov

Thanks for the kind words Piano4U and SK.

Trust me SK, you don't need reverb ;) What a cool version of "Y&F" anyway! I especially dug the "vocal" intro. Ever considered selling some of your arrangements? There were also some very nice counter-rhythms in the bass solo. The LH Bass/RH Piano part sounded a lot like Petrucciani to me. Nice vibe.

Also many thanks to you and Dave F. and Piano4U and marino and all the others for uploading your music - there's so much to learn from!

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Wow SK -

that was phenomenal! Those lush, harmonically rich voicings you use in the beginning of the tune are so beautiful. Your single line RH of the piano solo is so melodic and rhythmically flowing. Great sounding bass solo too. I'm going to have to try that cross-over hand, split-keyboard, bass up an octave trick. Teriffic mix makes your FP-4 sound very realistic. Thanks for posting this one and looking forward to more!

SK, that was break-my-heart beautiful. And I'm blown away by the freedom of your bass/melody thing. You really can hear and do it all.

Mo 'Wurst, I thoroughly enjoyed your solo piano, too. So different than your myspace music, took me completely by surprise. Nice touch!

Piano4U, you don't need my endorsement but keep it coming. Great to hear you.

..written in haste, just wanted to say a big Thank You to all of you.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Thanks, Dave. Know what, you may be right - I think from recently posting those Marc tracks his approach came back into my head a bit.

I like your Star Eyes, especially the extended time on the chords on the bridge to the end. Nice playing. Now THAT arrangement will keep you awake! Slouch, and you're lost. :)

Enjoyed the nice, loose playing. The first line of your solo sounded like a tonally displaced quote of "S'Wonderful" :) and your double hand lines reminded me of Denny Zeitlin's feel.

The drummer was holding down the fort. Sounded a lot like the drummer Mike Smith I used to play with. Recording quality doesn't matter - that was fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Strange thing happened, Sue. I recorded onto my keyboard while listening to the arrangement on computer. When I finished, somehow it sent the separately recorded intro to the computer at a faster speed than I played it. I only checked the start and ending of the intro, so I didn't notice and I posted it like that. Ugh. So I took it down to fix it.

Now the storage site is down, so I can't put the corrected version back up yet. :)

Piano4U, Sue, Dave, Linwood - thanks so much for the kind words! To be honest, I had some hesitation about inflicting this old, broken-down vocal arrangement upon y'all once again (like a bad penny, it just keeps coming back), but I just love what Steve added. He has some of the finest ears I've ever encountered!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

My pleasure, Dave. And if anybody would to recopy their arrangements too, send me a pdf or jpg of their arrangements.

Although, no guarantees of how long it might take.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Dave, I like that slightly dark version of Night & Day. Very cool.

Inspired me again to try yet another N&D, just to see how many ways to stretch it. N&D is becoming the Moby Dick of reharms ("Damn ye cursed reharm, I've spent my last breath on thee!")

This is a funny experimental version to me, which turned into smooth jazz meets elevator music. A naive, satirical funk version which absolutely can't work with N&D. Ranks up there with my "Bossaquarium."

But we're among friends here... I hope. :wave: J+, this is one you'll never have to write out.

(Full version now posted below)

SK - that is brilliant! I mean here you are playing what you call "a naive, satirical funk version which absolutely can't work" but believe me, it works big time! I love the way the bass line interacts with the piano and then the solo you take at the end with what sounds like a fretless patch but done in the higher registers - it's totally wild and it does work.

You've got to pick another standard and give it that treatment - really.

Dave F. - Your versions are excellent! Terrific counter harmonies and great voicings. Wow. You guys are both too much.

Well thank you guys a lot. I appreciate it. Yeah, Roger, it was a fretless bass patch.

I knew it worked on some level, but the 'groove' and the obvious root/5th/9th bass lines really bug me. I used to write complicated arrangements for standards, but I prefer open things that just work, instead of having to dress something up to make it work. Strip all the ornaments away and you still have N&D.

Dave, such a nice, honest feel on Ask Me Now. I enjoyed it all, the independent hand movements, inventive reharmed chords, the occasional dissonance, and I love those last two chord voicings on the bridge. Great job on a great old tune.