Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that, meccajay! Steve McNair is a class act and a great quarterback. He had a tough season last year, but I didn't think he was done.

Maybe Steve and Brett will kick back on a porch together somewhere in Mississippi and reminisce about the good old days...

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Wow Geoff, help me off the floor! :(:cry:

McNair retiring

SO do you think the Ravens will trade up and try and draft Matt Ryan or do you think they wil just take a QB at the original spot or somewhere else down the line. I find it hard to believe they will not draft or sign a QB and leave the situation on Boller's hands.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

How much the Ravens like Troy Smith will be a factor in this decision, I'm sure.

Good point and judging by his play and development last year, he's below how they feel about Boller, except he's younger and that gives them false hope.

- Rush

NFL Calendar

April 26-27: NFL draft, New York.

May 19-21: NFL spring meeting, Atlanta.

August 3: Pro Football Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio (Indianapolis vs. Washington).

August 26: Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players.

August 30: Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.

September 4-8: 2008 regular season starts.

April 26-27: NFL draft, New York.

Im so amped, I can't wait til Saturday!

Here's a really good draft site you guys may like.. Great mock draft and scouting reports done by each position(rankings)!

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

"...and with the uhh, 24th pick, The Tennessee Titans select..Limas Sweed...Wide Reciever, Texas.."

TROLL . . . ish.

Here's hoping the Raiders don't mess things up even more. Al really scares me. :rolleyes:

You and me both... ;)

Hey, looks like my favorite horse's ass (J. Shockey) is going to be a Saint. Congrats, Giants fans! :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The NFL draft today. Some teams futures are about to get better and worse. Here's hoping the Raiders don't mess things up even more. Al really scares me. :rolleyes:

Well, if the Jets don't trade up with the Falcons, and Al picks someone other than Darren McFadden, I can assure you it will be his last mistake, unless he finds some serious bodyguards before he leaves the draft! :idea:

He may be a vampire, but vampires can be killed, and an angry mob of Oakland fans will find a way to get it done.

Well, if the Jets don't trade up with the Falcons, and Al picks someone other than Darren McFadden, I can assure you it will be his last mistake

Apparently not going to be an issue... :thu:

That'll be some fun having Mr. McFadden and Mr. Russell in the backfield... :evil::cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Preliminary ratings show the NFL draft has higher ratings than the NBA playoff game on TNT by almost 2-1. Another surprise, NHL hockey playoff game as higher ratings than the NBA playoff game during the same time slot today.

- Rush

The Packers could use a good backup quarterback...

And they went with Brian Brohm out of Louisville, a QB who's the Big East Conference's all-time leader in passing yardage (10,775 yards).

Green Bay also needed better backup at the cornerback position and are hoping Patrick Lee from Auburn will fit the bill.

In addition, the Packers picked up Jordy Nelson, a wide-receiver from Kansas State.

Best,

Geoff

I was kind of shocked that Brohm slipped that far.

Re: the NYG, happy with Jerry Reese once again--the highest rated safety in the draft fell into our laps, this is a guy whose gonna push Sammy Knight and James Butler, and that's a good thing.

Keeping Shockey? If the guy's onboard, fine. Last year Plax Burress flat out changed--played hurt all year, stood up for up his QB and was a key part of championship run, single handedly devastating--if Geoff will kindly remember ;)--the Packers' vaunted secondary.

I have a hard time imagining a similar character reversal from Shockey, but whatever else you may say about the guy, he's always played hard. He doesn't have great hands, but he's dangerous as hell when he does hold on to it, and he has an apparent bit of infantile meglomania, but you can almost live with that if he ever starts producing to his potential again like he did in his first couple seasons.

I don't think keeping him is a bad move, and it also suggests to me that he and Reese "have an understanding." We shall see.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I was kind of shocked that Brohm slipped that far.

Yeah, the Packers got a gift there. Brian Brohm should be a great backup for Aaron Rogers, who's already proven more injury prone than his predecessor; but more than that, Brohm could provide some competition for the starter spot if Rogers doesn't pan out as well as expected.

Speaking of people who should have gone higher in the draft, the Packers picked up defensive end Jeremy Thompson from Wake Forest in the fourth round today. He ranked much higher than this on many draft boards. I hope the pundits are right about this one.

In the third round, Jermichael Finley -- a 6'5" tight end from Texas -- was drafted by Green Bay to replace Bubba Franks as the backup in that slot. Franks was released by Green Bay earlier this year and recently picked up by the Jets.

Last year Plax Burress flat out changed--played hurt all year, stood up for up his QB and was a key part of championship run, single handedly devastating--if Geoff will kindly remember ;)--the Packers' vaunted secondary.

How can I forget? ...Seriously, I'd like to forget! :mad:;):D

Best,

Geoff

Steelers draft picks:

Rashard Mendenhall-out of Illinois. Mendenhall is a complete back who has the ability to run between the tackles, run through opponents, and catch passes out of the backfield. He should compliment Willie Parker, and he can also block well.

In the second round, the Steelers drafted Limas Sweed out of Texas. Sweed is 6-4 and 215 lbs, the prototypical big receiver to go with Hines Ward and home-run threat Santonio Holmes. Roethlisberger has been wanting to pass more and more the last couple of years and the addition of Sweed will allow him to do so more effectively.

The only question I have is offensive line. All of the top linemen were off the board by the 23rd pick, so that made the Steelers go with Mendenhall. They did draft a tackle out of Texas in the fourth round, but that is it. It will be interesting to see how the Steelers deal with the loss of Faneca next year. The offensive line was pretty poor last season.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived