Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

This isn't an NFL comment. It should probably go on an MLB thread, but I don't see one and have no intention of starting one or participating in extended baseball discussions.

That said, I wanted to register my opinion that the firing of Willie Randolph is one of the most shameful and embarrassingly mishandled moments in all of sports. It was a decision worthy of a corrupt Olympics figure skating judge.

We return you now to your regularly-scheduled football discussion.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't an NFL comment. It should probably go on an MLB thread, but I don't see one and have no intention of starting one or participating in extended baseball discussions.

That said, I wanted to register my opinion that the firing of Willie Randolph is one of the most shameful and embarrassingly mishandled moments in all of sports. It was a decision worthy of a corrupt Olympics figure skating judge.

We return you now to your regularly-scheduled football discussion.

Here you go, Dan: Official MLB 2008 Thread

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• 2 weeks later...
I confess I actually broke down and watched a little arena football yesterday. :freak:

Man, I miss NFL football!

Best,

Geoff

While watching arena football will give some relief, it's not the real thing and doesn't hold ones attention for long. I think the playoffs are a bit more exciting. Hey only about one month until the season starts.

So who do you think will be at the big dance next year?

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

That's a good question.

Before Brett Favre announced his retirement, I might have picked the Packers. (Hey, I still might!) They were probably one interception away from beating the eventual champions, the Giants, in the NFC Championship; and as the youngest team in the league, they can only improve -- that is, until free agency finally picks this squad apart. The big question mark is Aaron Rodgers. He showed a lot of promise in his performance against the Cowboys last year, but he's already proven more injury prone than Favre and -- let's face it -- no one's going to ever completely fill Brett's shoes.

Then there are last year's Super Bowl combatants, the Giants and the Patriots. It's so rare that teams make it to the Super Bowl two years in a row that I would normally dismiss last year's squads out of hand. But last year's Giants kept getting better and better late in the season while other teams fell apart for the usual reasons of wear and tear. It's hard not to imagine them being contenders again this year. They did lose a fair amount of defensive players during the off season, but their front four are still rock solid. As for the Patriots, they're probably the best team to ever lose a Super Bowl. While most Super Bowl losers fail to return to the playoffs the following year, I don't see that happening to New England after narrowly missing a perfect season.

I agree that the Cowboys look very promising, and they might be my top NFC pick... except that they're the Cowboys. ;)

On the AFC side, who's going to compete with the Colts and the Patriots? It might be the Colts' turn again this year; but at some point, another team is going to rise to the top. Say what you will about Norv Turner, but I still like the Chargers' chances. In the meantime, the Broncos are good enough to provide some hope and then bad enough to dash it repeatedly. :D

Best,

Geoff

http://www.kryptonitekollectibles.com/images/cat/vikings_logo_small.gif VS. http://gingersnaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/titans_logo.jpg

TROLL . . . ish.

On the AFC side, who's going to compete with the Colts and the Patriots? It might be the Colts' turn again this year; but at some point, another team is going to rise to the top. Say what you will about Norv Turner, but I still like the Chargers' chances. In the meantime, the Broncos are good enough to provide some hope and then bad enough to dash it repeatedly. :D

Best,

Geoff

The Colts have 2 huge questions - Harrison and Freeney. If they're healthy, then the Colts should make the AFC championship game at the very least. If they're not, it'll be a LONG season in Indy.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

http://www.kryptonitekollectibles.com/images/cat/vikings_logo_small.gif VS. http://gingersnaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/titans_logo.jpg

Gutsy call, meccajay! :cool:

It's hard not to imagine the Vikings being in the mix with the next incarnation of Jim Brown moving the ball, and the Titans look to be on the rise again as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see either team in the playoffs this year.

Best,

Geoff

I think it is wide open. Pick against your DEFENDING AFC CHAMPION Patriots at your own risk. That team has plenty of kick left. You wonder, though, if they will be more inspired or damaged by the way their nearly historic season ended. Whatever, they're going to score a lot of points again and Brady will mount lots of late scoring drives to bail out a declining defense.

As for The Giants, I'll be pleased if they avoid year-after syndrome. They should be a good team again, despite three major losses on the defensive side.

I think The Eagles are going to be good this year. Call it a gut feeling.

I wonder if the Chargers find their way back or did they miss their golden opp the last two years?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I think it is wide open. Pick against your DEFENDING AFC CHAMPION Patriots at your own risk. That team has plenty of kick left. You wonder, though, if they will be more inspired or damaged by the way their nearly historic season ended. Whatever, they're going to score a lot of points again and Brady will mount lots of late scoring drives to bail out a declining defense.

I'm wondering how they will react as well. I think the Patriots will be concerived as the team to beat early on. If they maintain their winning ways, I can't see that changing. There are some teams in the AFC that could give them a run for their money. Ultimately injuries will probably play a key role for many teams. Losing certain players is probably deterimental to many teams. Anyway you slice and dice it, I can't wait for the upcoming season!

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Last year's Giants make the business of predicting especially daunting. Who knew they'd win the Super Bowl the year after losing Tiki Barber, especially after starting 0-2, and especially when facing the undefeated Patriots?

Is the next Super Bowl champion similarly disguised as an underdog?

Hmm... Maybe Jeff's prediction isn't so far fetched after all! :idea:

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/ConfusedGraemlin.gif

Naaahh! http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/TongueGraemlin.gif

:D

Best,

Geoff

Today, Najeh Davenport joined the long list of running backs currently looking for work that includes Cedric Benson, Shaun Alexander, Ron Dayne, Chris Henry.

Steelers cut Najeh Davenport

In the meantime, Miami, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Detroit sent representatives to watch former Lions running back Kevin Jones workout:

Packers attend Kevin Jones' workout

Best,

Geoff

Last year's Giants make the business of predicting especially daunting. Who knew they'd win the Super Bowl the year after losing Tiki Barber, especially after starting 0-2, and especially when facing the undefeated Patriots?

It goes so far beyond that, though. The new GM had given a very lukewarm vote of confidence to Coughlin by giving him a one-year extension, then Reese let several key free agents walk--Emmons, Petitgout, more--and didn't sign anyone really. There was a not entirely ridiculous notion afoot here that Reese was essentially passively sabotaging Coughlin so that after another bad year, Reese could get his own choice in as coach. GMs like to hire coaches, as we know.

It also seemed possible that one of Reese's directives was to usher OUT the Eli Manning era over a two year period. And who could blame the organization for seeing precious little to be cheery about from the franchise QB?

And of course what was notable about the 0-2 start was not simply the losses--to good teams, Dal and GB--but the defensive ineptitude, giving up 80 points.

Yeah, it was a dream, the whole thing. But to anyone who thinks the NYG caught a little lightning and played way over their heads and won the lottery, just remember this score: 52 to 52, the final score of the NYG's 8 quarters against the Pats.

Interesting back story, John.

And of course what was notable about the 0-2 start was not simply the losses--to good teams, Dal and GB--but the defensive ineptitude, giving up 80 points.

And who knew that Green Bay was a good team at that point? They were fresh off an 8-8 season. There was a clue: their victory against the Giants was their sixth straight; but at that point, no one knew that New York had lost to the two teams that would finish the regular season with the best records in the NFC.

Best,

Geoff

On the AFC side, who's going to compete with the Colts and the Patriots? It might be the Colts' turn again this year; but at some point, another team is going to rise to the top. Say what you will about Norv Turner, but I still like the Chargers' chances. In the meantime, the Broncos are good enough to provide some hope and then bad enough to dash it repeatedly.

Geoff

The concensus has San Diego, The Pats, The Colts and The Steelers as the favorites to win their division. No one seems to have a good feel on the Wild Cards in the AFC. The East is looking better and the North is looking weaker. The South has been consistent with getting a Wild Card. Cleveland and Tennessee are mentioned as likely Wild cards but Parcells in Miami can't be ruled out and Denver might be in the mix.

I've bought the Street & Smith's Pro Football sports annual every year since I was a child in the '60s. This year they were combined with the Sporting News annual guide, after Street & Smith's parent company -- American City Business Journals purchased Sporting News late last year. The merged companies kept the Sporting News title for the new guide, which I just purchased this week.

This year's issue picks the Chargers over the Cowboys in Super Bowl XLIII, with San Diego beating New England and Dallas beating Green Bay in the conference championship games. I don't know about Sporting News, but Street & Smith's was never better than most pundits at predicting the season ahead. I still appreciate their analysis though, and it's great to have a summary of each team to draw upon as the season progresses. (It's also fun to look back at the old issues to see what they said about the prospects of future stars when they were rookies! ;) )

Does anyone else here usually buy a pro football sports annual? If so, which one do you like best?

Best,

Geoff

The concensus has San Diego, The Pats, The Colts and The Steelers as the favorites to win their division. No one seems to have a good feel on the Wild Cards in the AFC. The East is looking better and the North is looking weaker. The South has been consistent with getting a Wild Card. Cleveland and Tennessee are mentioned as likely Wild cards but Parcells in Miami can't be ruled out and Denver might be in the mix.

I think this will be the first year in some time that the South doesn't produce a WC - they will beat the hell out of each other in that division.

I see Cleveland overtaking the Steelers for the division crown in the North, with Pitt taking the WC. SD will roll over another weak West this year, and the Pats will remain the class of the East.

Aren't the Jags getting any love? A full year with Garrard at the helm?

I like the Jags. Maurice Jones-Drew in his 3rd year. I love that Big little guy.

But Griff has a point; they are going to beat the crap out of each other in the AFC South. I'll pick the Jags to take the division but probably not until the last week of the season.

Good point, and while the Bills and Jets can stake a claim to being "better," it looks like the Pats will ge easiest divisional ride in the AFC again. Not that they didn't beat good teams last year--they beat ALL the good teams last year, in fact. It's just that none was in their division...

Good point, and while the Bills and Jets can stake a claim to being "better," it looks like the Pats will ge easiest divisional ride in the AFC again. Not that they didn't beat good teams last year--they beat ALL the good teams last year, in fact. It's just that none was in their division...

They didn't beat the Packers. ;)

Best,

Geoff

I'm not extremely optimistic about the Steelers this year. They need a O line. Allen Fanica is now a NY Jet, and the other guys are still gelin'. Big Ben better lose some of the lard before the season starts because he's going to have defensive players in his face and he's going to have to run for his life. The Steelers picked up a few good offensive players, but if the line can't block for you, you get eaten alive.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I wonder if the Chargers find their way back or did they miss their golden opp the last two years?

The latter. :idea:

dB

Sadly, I suspect the latter. The Chargers have always lived and died by their rushing attack and run defense. Both LT on the offensive side and Jamal Williams on the defensive side peaked two years ago.

The Chargers are going to have to continue putting more of the load on the WR corps as Rivers continues to mature. They still haven't found much depth behind Jamal in solidifying the run D, and they're gambling a bit in hoping that a rookie or 2nd year man will effectively replace Florence at nickel corner.

Looking forward to this NFL season. By then, I should have my DirectTV all set up.

Archived