Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- Wants to move out!

slap-pop-karl

As a teenager I obviously want to move out, but how much money would I need? I won't need to buy any more bass stuff or guitar stuff, i got the amount that i need for just playing my self. So how much do you think in this over priced world?

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need a steady job and a minimum of 2 months expenses in savings.

Aren't you 15? Get over the fact that your parents won't let you go and get pissed every night. It's life. You have to wait until college to do that.

If you have to ask, you do not have enough.

Do a budget:

Rent

Utilities

Food

Medical, health, and dental

Transportation

Laundry and clothing

Extras:

Telephone

Internet

Television service

That all assumes no capital expenditure, like furniture and fixtures for the apartment or home you are planning to occupy. It also assumes nothing breaks down on your or needs repair.

You could always move somewhere a bit cheaper, like Nepal. The cost of living is much cheaper there. You could use your mastery of your native tongue to earn money as an English teacher, too.

I'd enjoy the free food and rent.

Word! It's a cold, cruel (expensive) world out there. Don't be too hasty.

I still live in my Moms basement. Rent's cheap and the food ROCKS!! :thu:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Pad the budget too.. Things come up, trust me. What doesn't come up this month will come up twice the next.

My story

From age 16 to 25 I was "at home" but covering 70-100% of the expenses for Mom and my OLDER sister and brother. Talk about wanting out. I just couldn't do it. I worked about 50 hours a week or more while in high school and much more after. I didn't get my bass until I was 21.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Ride the gravy train as long as you can!

+1....

And spend some time and thought on how to better relate to the people who love you. I'm not saying that's easy, but if you can't make it with the people that love you, you'll be real hard pressed to make it with people who don't give a shit about you, which is what the rest of the world can often be about.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

SPK, do you want to spend your youth worrying about bills, where the next paycheck is coming from, or skipping meals to save money?

A few rules from mom and pop are no reason to waste your youth trying to be all-growns-up. You can hack it for a few more years, trust me.

I'm not trying to get preachy or anything, but my son "left" college before he finished his degree and all of his certifications. He managed to total my truck (since I never got an accident report, I never got the insurance claim to pay off the loan) and get nicked for a DUI at 19. At 20, he managed to get nicked for driving on a suspended license. The license was suspened for failure to appear for the DUI. At 21 he was living in his sister's garage (they in Ohio and me in Washington). He was working 55 hrs/wk at a truck stop as a "maintenance mechanic" and since was "scheduled" for 30 hrs/wk, he was not receiving any benefits. At 21, I decided enough was enough, flew to Ohio, bought a van, loaded his sorry crap (his good Jackson Soloist and Ibanez GR, a Guitar Research half stack and an Alavarez acoustic were all stolen while he was living off campus - probably so he could partake in underage drinking). My deal was he would live in the back bedroom, I would take care of food, laundary and his first quarter of college. He would quit drinking, find partime work and go to school. That worked out well for about three months until the girlfriend in Ohio called to announce she was pregnant.

He lives in section 8 housing in the seedy part of Kennewick. He has no driver's license and still needs to complete quite a bit of back-bending and frog-walking to get it back. The girlfriend has no driver's license because she has seziures. He has a six month old baby. Instead of repairing computers and networking equipment (largely indoor work), he works out of door at the rail yard welding on tanker cars. He currently suffers from bronchitis from the welding, the weather and the fumes. I am buying the diapers and formula for the grand-baby.

I'm not asking anyone to pity my son or me. Just a little insight, Karl, that being on your own before you are damned good and ready isn't fun, games and party. I'm not saying you aren't, I'm not saying you lack the maturity, I'm just saying there are many sides to an issue this important and you need to examine all of them - from all points of view - before making the jump.

Oh, I forgot to mention - attorney's fees, $1500 and climbing, Alcohol Safety Awareness classes - $1500 (but they finance), fines $850, community service - 64 hours (doing yard work for the nuns) - and I'm sure it's still not done. And yes, I'm sure he didn't set out that night to go out and get drunk while underage.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Dude,

Hang in there! What everyone above has said, is true. Enjoy your teens while you can. You can wait a few more years, during that, PLAN your escape (school, job, goals) then strike out on your own.

Your first week of freedom will seem like complete bliss, but after that, reality will set in for the rest of your life.

Move forward while setting still for now...

Warwick Corvette 4 Proline

Tune Casiopea TWX 6 string

You could always move somewhere a bit cheaper, like Nepal. The cost of living is much cheaper there. You could use your mastery of your native tongue to earn money as an English teacher, too.

Actually, that sounds pretty damn good! LOl

Warwick Corvette 4 Proline

Tune Casiopea TWX 6 string

I moved out when I was 23 and that was only because I moved countries too.

My brother is 37 and he still lives with my parents. Why??? Because as he says, why would I put myself into trouble if I won't be having any benefit in moving out.

You would be bemused, to see how much of your life changes when you move out, and they are not good things.

I used to help at home with finances, since i started to work full time with 15.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Suck it up, get some self discipline and maturity then depart the gravy train when you have either graduated college or have a full time, permanent job with benefits. This may give you time to learn responsibility, develop self awareness and enjoy having parents who care.
"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

I'm not trying to get preachy or anything, but my son "left" college before he finished his degree and all of his certifications. He managed to total my truck (since I never got an accident report, I never got the insurance claim to pay off the loan) and get nicked for a DUI at 19. At 20, he managed to get nicked for driving on a suspended license. The license was suspened for failure to appear for the DUI. At 21 he was living in his sister's garage (they in Ohio and me in Washington). He was working 55 hrs/wk at a truck stop as a "maintenance mechanic" and since was "scheduled" for 30 hrs/wk, he was not receiving any benefits. At 21, I decided enough was enough, flew to Ohio, bought a van, loaded his sorry crap (his good Jackson Soloist and Ibanez GR, a Guitar Research half stack and an Alavarez acoustic were all stolen while he was living off campus - probably so he could partake in underage drinking). My deal was he would live in the back bedroom, I would take care of food, laundary and his first quarter of college. He would quit drinking, find partime work and go to school. That worked out well for about three months until the girlfriend in Ohio called to announce she was pregnant.

He lives in section 8 housing in the seedy part of Kennewick. He has no driver's license and still needs to complete quite a bit of back-bending and frog-walking to get it back. The girlfriend has no driver's license because she has seziures. He has a six month old baby. Instead of repairing computers and networking equipment (largely indoor work), he works out of door at the rail yard welding on tanker cars. He currently suffers from bronchitis from the welding, the weather and the fumes. I am buying the diapers and formula for the grand-baby.

I'm not asking anyone to pity my son or me. Just a little insight, Karl, that being on your own before you are damned good and ready isn't fun, games and party. I'm not saying you aren't, I'm not saying you lack the maturity, I'm just saying there are many sides to an issue this important and you need to examine all of them - from all points of view - before making the jump.

Oh, I forgot to mention - attorney's fees, $1500 and climbing, Alcohol Safety Awareness classes - $1500 (but they finance), fines $850, community service - 64 hours (doing yard work for the nuns) - and I'm sure it's still not done. And yes, I'm sure he didn't set out that night to go out and get drunk while underage.

What a great post. Real life. Think long and hard young man before you make a foolish decesion that the rest of us end up paying for in the end.

I work with HS kids all day long and believe me, MOST of them will never have it so good again...at least for a while.

If you think life is tough now, try it on your own. It will probably take about three weeks before you are begging to move back home. I know your parents don't understand you, why don't you try to understand them? If they are not causing you physical harm, stay home.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Karl,

I could add more to this but it would be the same message.

I would ask myself: what do I want my life to be like tommorrow, in 5 years? 10 years? Then ask, are you doing the things that need to be done to get there?

If you just care about tommorrow, then do whatever you want. Everyday will be just like tommorrow....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I dropped out of college at age 20, so that's basically when I "moved out on my own". (I went back and finished at my own expense a few years later.)

I had decided that I was going to make a living playing music. I worked my butt off. Hustled constantly looking for gigs and played every one of them, no matter what the style was.

Living expenses were a little less in the 70's than they are now. But so was income. I made it. You can too.

Karl, if you are still apying attention to your thread, I know it looks a little harsh. Don't take it as a personal attack. People just don't want to see you do something drastic and potentially future threatening.

We were all teenagers once, and most of us thought that we wanted to do exactly what you are thinking of. All one sees as a teenager is the freedom and the power that comes with being loosed of the rules and such of your parents. That freedom and power comes with a cost. The cost isn't only rent and food, but the cost of carrying the responsibility and burden of supporting yourself. That cannot be paid with money, it has to be paid with your sense of maturity and responsibility.

People responded like they did because either they have been there done that, or someone close to them has and the outcome wasn't like they thought it would be. Can it be done? Probably. But the odds of the benefits otweighing the burden are not in your favor. Most of us can testify that once we got out in The Real World on our own, we figured out ol' Mom and Pop weren't quite as dumb and out of touch as we thought they were.

Good luck, make the right decision.

Mike

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

You need a steady job and a minimum of 2 months expenses in savings.

Aren't you 15? Get over the fact that your parents won't let you go and get pissed every night. It's life. You have to wait until college to do that.

Im 16 turning 17 now and I got a full time job so I guess thats steady enough.

Do a budget:

Rent

Utilities

Food

Transportation

Laundry and clothing

Extras:

Telephone

Internet

Television service

That all assumes no capital expenditure, like furniture and fixtures for the apartment or home you are planning to occupy. It also assumes nothing breaks down on your or needs repair.

I have thought about that but its hard to work out how much of all that I will need and stuff. I did find a place in a village up the road from where i live, Its £375 per month, fully furnished and electricity paid for so that could make it cheaper and easier.
You need a job, for sure. Bills need to be paid monthly. Unless you're getting beaten regularly, I'd enjoy the free food and rent.
I got to pay rent, not much though. £120 monthly.
Ride the gravy train as long as you can!

+1....

And spend some time and thought on how to better relate to the people who love you. I'm not saying that's easy, but if you can't make it with the people that love you, you'll be real hard pressed to make it with people who don't give a shit about you, which is what the rest of the world can often be about.

In some ways you make a good point but although my mum and dad do care about me they annoy me and I don't really spend much time with them. I have always like kinda being on my own but still having friends and stuff. Understand what i mean?
SPK, do you want to spend your youth worrying about bills, where the next paycheck is coming from, or skipping meals to save money?

A few rules from mom and pop are no reason to waste your youth trying to be all-growns-up. You can hack it for a few more years, trust me.

I know where my pay checks are coming from atm so that box is ticked. Skipping meals to save money? Well I am gonna be smart and work things out like i have been advised to befor moving out.

Well luckly I don't drink, have already got a full time job and don't waste my money (going to collage and dropping out. Not saying that your son done wrong by doing this)

I dropped out of college at age 20, so that's basically when I "moved out on my own". (I went back and finished at my own expense a few years later.)

I had decided that I was going to make a living playing music. I worked my butt off. Hustled constantly looking for gigs and played every one of them, no matter what the style was.

Living expenses were a little less in the 70's than they are now. But so was income. I made it. You can too.

Just poped a little idea in to my head there. To earn a little extra dosh (if I get out) I could try get a few friends to start a little band with me. Im sure there would be a few little pubs willing to have acts around the area.
Karl, if you are still apying attention to your thread, I know it looks a little harsh. Don't take it as a personal attack. People just don't want to see you do something drastic and potentially future threatening.

We were all teenagers once, and most of us thought that we wanted to do exactly what you are thinking of. All one sees as a teenager is the freedom and the power that comes with being loosed of the rules and such of your parents. That freedom and power comes with a cost. The cost isn't only rent and food, but the cost of carrying the responsibility and burden of supporting yourself. That cannot be paid with money, it has to be paid with your sense of maturity and responsibility.

People responded like they did because either they have been there done that, or someone close to them has and the outcome wasn't like they thought it would be. Can it be done? Probably. But the odds of the benefits otweighing the burden are not in your favor. Most of us can testify that once we got out in The Real World on our own, we figured out ol' Mom and Pop weren't quite as dumb and out of touch as we thought they were.

Good luck, make the right decision.

Mike

To true. It would all add to experience. If it didn't work out my mum and dad would always be willing to take me back, unless I upset them some how.

My sister moved out when she was 17, she was in student accomadation and hated it, living with other people. Now she lives in a council flat 3 bedrooms for £60 per week. She goes to collage and works part time. Luckly she dosnt have to pay council tax on her place because of the collage. She works part time at JJB ports getting paid an alrite amount. Shes not struggling and shes loving it. Shes 19 now and has never thought about coming back. Like me she saves money that she has left over and won't spend it on useless stuff.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Do a budget:

Rent

Utilities

Food

Transportation

Laundry and clothing

Extras:

Telephone

Internet

Television service

I have thought about that but its hard to work out how much of all that I will need and stuff. I did find a place in a village up the road from where i live, Its £375 per month, fully furnished and electricity paid for so that could make it cheaper and easier.

What's so hard? Start adding stuff up. Use a pen, paper, and a calculator if necessary. Use estimates. Do it on a monthly basis, since your largest expense (rent) is likely to be due monthly.

And just FYI:

This is a collage -> http://www.firelands.bgsu.edu/arts/ccct/media/images/caryl_collage-00.jpg

This is a college -> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/OldQueensRutgers.jpg

Do a budget:

Rent

Utilities

Food

Transportation

Laundry and clothing

Extras:

Telephone

Internet

Television service

What's so hard? Start adding stuff up. Use a pen, paper, and a calculator if necessary. Use estimates. Do it on a monthly basis, since your largest expense (rent) is likely to be due monthly.

Math has all those numbers and stuff. You have to like think or something. And thinking is hard. And adding numbers is more harder. Figuring out what it would cost for expaenses is whey two hard. I'm angry at numbers.

And just FYI:

This is a collage -> http://www.firelands.bgsu.edu/arts/ccct/media/images/caryl_collage-00.jpg

This is a college -> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/OldQueensRutgers.jpg

:D :D

I'll do the maths for you Karl. On minimum wage working 40 hours a week after tax you will take home about £175 a week. £700 a month. £375 for accommodation leaves £325 a month, or £81 a week.

Food will be about £40 a week if you are lucky. That will give you £40 a week for EVERYTHING else mentioned above. If council tax is not included in rent you'll get hit by that and that is a BIG hit.

Sit down with your parents and ask them to show you ball park figures of where all their money goes.

However all is not lost, once you are 18 as a low wage earner, you will be eligible for a whole host of state benefits. Wait till then, work hard, get a better job.

Or get a asylum seeker pregnant and move in with her ;)

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'll do the maths for you Karl. On minimum wage working 40 hours a week after tax you will take home about £175 a week. £700 a month. £375 for accommodation leaves £325 a month, or £81 a week.

My mortgage is nearly £1400 a month. Sad.

Archived