Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- Wants to move out!

slap-pop-karl

So, Karl, as you see, not only is your financial well-being something to evaluate from every angle, correct punctuation and spelling are vital tools to surviving this world. You may wind up on a forum where people become very annoyed at the proper application of English syntax. (Don't even try to disseminate the differences in American English from the other dialects- you will want to throw yourself under a train).

;):)

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob- OK big car to sleep in! Thanks!

Tim- I am learning how to do things that the Foreman does such as cleaning the carder when it has a 'snorle' and fixing ends on it. Thats just so he doesn't have to keep going up and down to the bottom shed from the top. I doubt that I will get paid more for that, but the charge hands (they do the stuff I'm being shown and more) are all in there 50's and will be off in about 10 years :P but hopefully I'm in the police by then but if that doesn't work out thats something to aim for I guess.

Kramer(spelled it correctly) a clerk? Like a store manager? We don't get as much armed offenders as you would in Australia and in the USA....but I think thats defiantly on the rise.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Kramer(spelled it correctly) a clerk? Like a store manager? We don't get as much armed offenders as you would in Australia and in the USA....but I think thats defiantly on the rise.

Yup, you spelled it correctly! :thu:

No, I meant "a clerk" as in "someone who works in an office shuffling paper all day". And sure, you may not get as many armed offenders in the UK as you would elsewhere, but you only need the one in order to completely ruin your day. And the armed offenders are only the tip of the iceberg. You also have to deal with violent drunks, people from all walks of life that don't take kindly to being arrested, or even being questioned and so on.

Oh, and then there's all the people that vandalize your property. One guy I know made a real secret of the fact that he was a copper, because he KNEW that if it got out, gang members in his neighbourhood would key his car and throw stuff at his house. Of course, that depends on your neighbourhood.

My point was simply that the police are asked to risk their lives, they should be paid accordingly.

And, in keeping with the idea of correcting your posts,

"We don't get as much armed offenders "

should be

"We don't get as many armed offenders". And no, I have no idea why. It's just one of those rules, maybe somebody else can elaborate.

And while "but I think thats defiantly on the rise" COULD be ok (with an apostrophe in "thats", because you're really saying "that is"), I believe you meant "definitely on the rise". :)

Only doing it for your own good! ;):D

What's a carder and a 'snorle'? Are you working in a factory? If so get in with the maintenance guys, and learn off them. That sort of knowledge can be used in any manufacturing process etc.

What do you do?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

"We don't get as much armed offenders "

should be

"We don't get as many armed offenders". And no, I have no idea why. It's just one of those rules, maybe somebody else can elaborate.

I think much is used when describing an amount of something where that something is a mass rather than made up of individual elements that would usually be separate.

eg much water, much sugar, many lakes, many sugar cubes.

I've spell checked 'much' 3 times now, and it still looks wrong to me.

I think much is used when describing an amount of something where that something is a mass rather than made up of individual elements that would usually be separate.

eg much water, much sugar, many lakes, many sugar cubes.

That must be it.

And "fewer" must be the opposite of "many", whereas "less" would be the opposite of "much".

I once knew a TEFL teacher who (when in her cups) would always rant about "so-called teachers" who taught students to say "less people" rather than "fewer people". :D It was SUCH a pet peeve of hers.

"Carders" and snorles" sound like things out of the Jabberwocky. "And his vorpal blade went 'snicker-snack!" ;)

Well, the meaning of words evolves. And, much as one may dislike it, what is once incorrect occasionally becomes a normal variant. I agree about much[/ii] and many but fewer and less[/i] are besoming far less distinct in everyday usage. It's worth learning which is correct but eventually the rules may change - otherwise we'd all still be writing: Min nama is Phil W. Well, just me actually, but you get the point.

One thing i found funny in england is the way that the british people say. I'm going to me mums house, wheras i'm used to hear I'm going to my mums house

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Dialect.

My parents say "Mekuzzuhcuppateathen!"

When I first moved to London and heard the schoolkids sing in school assemblies, it all sounded like Oliver to me!

I have to deal with it a lot where I teach as most of the kids speak nothing like Standard English at home - they might speak anther language entirely or they speak cockney, estuary or Jamaican patois or Nigerian English or something. It complicates matters for them (the monolingual kids) as they assume they already know English and find it hard to learn to write Standard English. At least when I was a kid we heard Standard English every day on the BBC; now some childreb never hear it.

Kramer stop being so smart :P

Tim, a cardar is a massive machine that you put a misture of dyed wool in to. It goes through a series of rollers to mix it all up and then on to tapes and then on to rubbers that roll strands up. Then they go round a bobbin. The bobbins go on to the frames where the wool goes on to the tubes. Then goes on to the winders on to cones ready to buy. A snorle is a bit of wool that gunks up the tape rollers. I work in the factory as a machine operator. The only maintmence guy is the foreman mike, Benny who is on night shift and robbie who is in a different factory atm.

Phil I forgot you where a teacher.

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Ask if you can do a couple of night shifts with Benny. Although I think the laws have changed about what you can do under 18, but he might be able to show you what he does. No harm is asking. If you don't like it you haven't lost anything.

Night work pays more?

Nights pay more yes, you have to be 18 to do nights and he couldn't teach me anything mike hasn't already show en me. He tends to fix things quick but never 100% right does Benny.

Rocky, I asked them about it when I got my interview and they said it was alright. It isn't really dangerous work or anything.

Though I married fairly young (we were just out of college), I don't have the experience of moving out as a teen.

I also observe that many comments focus on money and financial security. I also see that there are some who moved out "young" and overcame their lack of money, lack of a job, and general idiocy.

What I observe is that people who moved out young and have made a go of their lives have posted. There are probably people who didn't make it. They fell into drugs, crime, or general despair. They don't have access to computers, so we're not hearing from them. I'm not saying that most people don't make it - I have no idea what the percentages are. But there is risk.

None of us here can know what your abilities are. You need to decide what you can do.

I can assure you that if you stay home and are supported and build a career for yourself, you'll still have money issues, but you'll be better able to deal with them.

As a son and a dad, I would be afraid that moving out would create more distance and less understanding between you and your family. The distance isn't necessarily good or bad, but the understanding.... And this from a guy who didn't like the way I was treated by my dad (no abuse, just didn't see eye to eye).

I hope you are happy with whatever you decide.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Well I found a mate willing to split, and another mate. So it would be 3 ways. I was talking to my dad about it and he basically said what you guys said and it kinda stuck with me. Plus I have decided that I want to go in to the police this year so I wouldn't be able to stay with my mates. I'm sure we don't get paid when we are in training. Plus my dad said I should get my drivers license and all that to. I guess hearing it from my own dad has made it sink in to me so I'm sorry to thoughts who I kinda argued against. Looks like the chances of me staying home are really high.

snap-crackle-pop, you have to be your own man. Whatever you decide, make sure it is your decision and not anyone here or at home. Otherwise, you will wake up one day and realize you have not lived life, just gone through the motions of taking orders.

If you are happy staying at home or it serves some kind of purpose, then stay home. If you want to move out and you are willing to sacrifice to do such, then move out.

It is a dangerous world and it can be filled with disappointment. Grow a spine and toughen up.

Getz you are kinda right what you are saying and stuff but to be able to do what I want to do the main option would be to stay at home. It would be beneficial. So I guess it is my own decision.

Archived