Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland RD-700GX PIANO (pics)

Jazz+

Ok and one more thing, both RD's I looked at had cables connected to both stereo outputs, so I don't think they were running mono.

John

If you're referring to the NAMM demo booth, I believe the RDs were run into a mixer or headphone mixer in stereo and then a mono line out to an amp. If you were listening via headphones it was stereo, if not mono.

Busch.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the naysayers wondering why on earth Roland would run a demo in MONO, have no fear. The REAL way to take in the demo was to strap on the available headphones, which reflected a true stereo mix. The small mono amp was barely audible and more of a reference amp for onlookers. The Roland rep had a set of in-ears and a headset microphone, all piping into a mixer that was going out to multiple sets of headphones. I listened to the demo several times with headphones and it sounded GREAT! I don't think there is any way to really capture a good stereo mix at NAMM using speakers. The background cacaphony is unreal.

Regards,

Eric

The HR-207 has Ivory Feel with escapement. I'm pretty sure that's the one I played at last year's NAMM.

You mean KR-207? I don't see an HR-207 on rolandus.com.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Let me tell myself and others like me who are greatly tempted to upgrade to the latest, to revisit your needs. As a previous owner of many keyboards, I have realised that most professional keyboards offer us a lot more than we can fully exhaust.

Ever since owning an XV88, I have been happy with the SRX11 and SRX12 upgrades and I can claim to sound like an RD700SX live. I have watched the RD and Fantom lines grow, but(despite the agony) stuck to my axe. I remember the XV88 coming out at the same time as Kurzweil PC2X and being of comparable sound qualities. Now, because Roland has upgraded more often than Kurzweil, the XV88/XV3080 are forgotten whereas the PC2X/PC2R rack are still almost considered current. I think the Yamaha S80 has also suffered the same fate.

For those who have no other keyboards, or Roland stuff, the GX has come at the right time. For others like me, if you still like the action of your keyboard, consider only sound upgrades or add variety by considering other manufacturers.

Yes, right now I am having GAS for the GX, the awesome action and the new sounds from another planet, but please treat me by offering the "New York piano" on an SRX card and I will still keep my XV.

I won't quite claim to sound like a GX, but who knows...

We have time, but none to waste.

SK,

Actually I liked what little I heard of the acoustic piano, but I'm having my doubts about the two Rhodes sounds that I heard in that clip. To my ear, there's always been something obviously un-Rhodes-like in Roland's EP's. But I'm willing to suspend my doubts until I hear direct demos instead of those played through the crappiest amps on earth. I'm hoping that they've finally learned their lesson and gotten some authenticity in their Rhodes sounds.....

To clear up any confusion on the naming of the 88 note sampled ac. pianos from Roland.

Hamburg Steinway

New piano for the RD700GX. Called Expressive Grand on the GX. It might also be included in the Fantom G--don't know for certain.

New York Steinway

AKA, Superior Grand. The SRX-11 sampleset. Included in the RD700SX, RD700GX, RD300GX, FP4, FP7, SonicCell (though not 88-note sampled), Fantom G (quite sure).

Yamaha/Bosendorfer

AKA Ultimate Grand. The first 88-note sampled piano from Roland. Found on the Fantom X, RD700SX, RD300SX, RD700GX, RD300GX, possibly others.

The RD700GX has all three, I believe.

Busch.

So does the RD300GX, which is much cheaper. The initial description didn't make this obvious. So apparently this "ivory feel" piano action is Roland's new default action on their 88-boards.

What's the best current keyboard to try this on, or is it brand new?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So does the RD300GX, which is much cheaper. The initial description didn't make this obvious. So apparently this "ivory feel" piano action is Roland's new default action on their 88-boards.

The only 2 Roland keyboards with the "Ivory Feel" keyboard are the HP-207 home piano and the RD700GX. The RD300GX does not have this action.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about the Fantom G8.

Regards,

Eric

I'm not sure I understand your post.

The RD300GX has the PHA alpha II action which is lighter to the touch (and weighs about 20 lbs less to carry). It does not have "Ivory Feel" nor does it have escapement.

Until the RD700GX or Fantom G8 comes out you could test out the Ivory Feel on an HP-207.

Busch.

According to the specs that I found earlier today, that is not correct. The initial description of the 300 uses different terminology (PHA Alpha II), but then the later detailed writeup specifically says "ivory touch".

My understanding is that "ivory touch" refers more specifically to the feel of the keys (that is, the texture), vs. the action.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh well, if there is no escapement on the 300, it hardly matters as that would not be a keyboard worthy of consideration.

The HP-series never shows up in any stores that I frequent. Maybe it is carried only in mostly-acoustic piano stores vs. places like Guitar Centre and mom-and-pop indie stores?

Yes, you'll find the HP series at "music" stores. Tip: go to the product page for one of them on RolandUS.com, and type in your ZIP. It will return stores that carry *that product.* That's how I found Houston Piano Company, which carries the Roland "home" pianos like the HP series, digital grands, etc.

My impression is that Roland has several different actions out now, and you need to read carefully what each instrument has. The PHA is on several models, but some have escapement and some don't. A couple have Ivory Feel and some don't.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Oh well, if there is no escapement on the 300, it hardly matters as that would not be a keyboard worthy of consideration.

The HP-series never shows up in any stores that I frequent. Maybe it is carried only in mostly-acoustic piano stores vs. places like Guitar Centre and mom-and-pop indie stores?

Mark, I played both the RD700GX and RD300GX at NAMM. The Ivory Feel is very apparent when you touch it and look at it. I can tell you the RD300GX does not have Ivory Feel. Also escapement, or better put, the recreation of escapement in any of these digital piano actions is RARE. Most do not have it. The Roland home pianos are some of the first to incorporate it and it has now found its way onto stage pianos.

Busch.

"Mark, I played both the RD700GX and RD300GX at NAMM."

Busch, How does the action on the 300GX compare to the 300SX keyboard??

I actually have a hard time describing the differences. Jazz+ I think has a better handle on it. I played my 300SX alot and I feel I got it to the point where it was really broken in (I sold it to my singer a few months ago). I've been using the FP4 since then. The FP4 has the same action as the RD300GX. The FP4 fells slightly heavier and a bit more solid, but I don't know if that's the difference in the action or the fact than the FP4 has less mileage. Jazz+ hated the RDS300SX action but loves (loved) the FP4. To me they're in the same ballpark. I like the lighter action of the alpha but I'm afraid I'll also end up with the RD700GX. I'll likely still keep the FP4. I like having a light, portable keyboard.

Busch.

SK,

Actually I liked what little I heard of the acoustic piano, but I'm having my doubts about the two Rhodes sounds that I heard in that clip.

Hey cnegrad, I didn't dislike what I heard on the demo... there's no doubt it's an advancement on the SX and FP's. I was just whining about the demo, that it's relatively useless for judging the sound quality. I trust the Rhodes sounds will be better too, as they claim they are.

Since I got a 700SX and an FP4 this past year, I'm really looking forward to the next light FP's, which I hope will have the new piano sound, Ivory feel/escapement, better Rhodes, onboard speakers, etc. I'm just not ready to plop down the cash for another heavy, flagship stage model.

I trust the Rhodes sounds will be better too, as they claim they are.

SK,

Obviously, "better" is a subjective thing. For me, Roland EP's have always had some sort of "Roland stamp" to them. I can identify them whenever I hear them because of it. While they may indeed sound "better", I'm looking for them to sound more authentic (ala the Motifs) and less distinctively Roland.

I'm still finding conflicting information regarding the 300 model's action, and the e-stores only list detailed info for the 700 model, so I guess we'll just have to wait a few more days while Roland and the e-stores get everything up-to-date for NAMM-announced product.

Having finally found a Roland whose keybed action I like recently (one of the two current FP models), and reading the description of this fake ivory feel, this instrument has way more appeal for me than a bloated workstation like the Fantom G and appears equivalent in the same sense that the S90 is to a Motif.

Nevertheless, it looks doubtful that I could get a feel for this new keybed action in the next week, so I am going to go ahead and get a refurbished GEM PRP700 as soon as my musiciansfriend refund from the damaged Studiologic VMK188plus clears in the next day or so. It's a small enough investment that I could always move over to the Roland later on once it is released (and of course there is also the new Kurzweil PC3X to consider).

I was hoping the C30 Digital Harpsichord would start showing up for sale as well, as Roland is pushing deeper into the more "serious" end of keyboard instruments these days and as that product was announced several months ago in other markets such as Asia. But I fear that will be a special-order only item.

Historically, has the RD700 series been displayed in stores like Guitar Centre, or just the lower-end units in that series? I only recall seeing one of the earlier 700 series models before.

I'm still finding conflicting information regarding the 300 model's action, and the e-stores only list detailed info for the 700 model, so I guess we'll just have to wait a few more days while Roland and the e-stores get everything up-to-date for NAMM-announced product.

Having finally found a Roland whose keybed action I like recently (one of the two current FP models), and reading the description of this fake ivory feel, this instrument has way more appeal for me than a bloated workstation like the Fantom G and appears equivalent in the same sense that the S90 is to a Motif.

Nevertheless, it looks doubtful that I could get a feel for this new keybed action in the next week, so I am going to go ahead and get a refurbished GEM PRP700 as soon as my musiciansfriend refund from the damaged Studiologic VMK188plus clears in the next day or so. It's a small enough investment that I could always move over to the Roland later on once it is released (and of course there is also the new Kurzweil PC3X to consider).

I was hoping the C30 Digital Harpsichord would start showing up for sale as well, as Roland is pushing deeper into the more "serious" end of keyboard instruments these days and as that product was announced several months ago in other markets such as Asia. But I fear that will be a special-order only item.

Historically, has the RD700 series been displayed in stores like Guitar Centre, or just the lower-end units in that series? I only recall seeing one of the earlier 700 series models before.

Hey Mark,

What is the info over which you're conflicted regarding the 300GX vs. 700GX action? Both Busch and I played them at NAMM and can answer questions.

I think you'll see the GX in Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Both of mine carry the SX.

I did get to play the C30 harpsichord as well! Pretty fun, but I would want a nice flight case for gigging with it.

Regards,

Eric

Eric,

It's just the issue of the ivory-textured keys, as one excerpt from an official Roland product announcement posted over at Gearslutz (I can't find it now and don't have the time or energy to go sleuthing at the moment) specifically stated the RD300GX has "ivory touch".

I do understand that it is already resolved that the keybed action itself is different, which is to be expected as all manufacturers other than GEM "dumb down" the keybed action except on their top-most digital piano models.

The "ivory touch" is very important to me as it makes a big difference in playability to not have slippery keys at a gig, under the hot stage lights, etc. This was the reason I originally went for the GEM RP-x module vs. the PRP700 keyboard. The Studiologic VMK188plus has very nice slip-resistant textured keys, as does the Yamaha CP300. Not quite "ivory touch" but close.

Archived