Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, talk me out of going on a vintage synth rampage...

C.J. Lewis

So I've got that bug again. I have a hit-list of a few older/vintage synths that I'd like to buy (some, again)... From your experience, can you tell if they are worth it...I mean really? Can I emulate these specific boards with soft-synths?

1. Roland JD800

2. Korg Wavestation A/D (Is Korg's Digital Collection really the bomb?)

3. Novation Supernova ProX

4. Roland Juno 60

There you go. Sell me - I'd rather not have 3 more keyboards in the studio, but if I can't find good soft emulations, I just may HAVE to. Anybody have Jupiter 8V? Thoughts?

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've owned 3 JD800s. They're a great machine....but I love the JD990 more, and you can find those for about $300. The Wavestation....eehhh. (I had one for 12 years and finally sold it.)

Yeah, I've had a JD990 as well. What did you use as a controller for it? They say the 800 is a great controller for it, but I only had the two of them together for a short time. Your Wavestation - was that a good 'eehhh', or a bad 'eehhh'? :D

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

Well, since you're about two hours west of Richmond, and I'm going to be in Richmond this weekend, maybe I'll come to YOUR house to jam...?

(Except that I'll be in sales meetings all weekend) :(

ivorycj

I can't help you. I want only the best for you :laugh:. I own a Juno 6 (the 60 sans midi and memory). I STILL want the Supernova II someday and it isn't hard to find a JD-800. The Wavestation softsynth is pretty darn good from all accounts and what I've heard.

Now, if you know where a brotha can find an Arp Quadra, let me know....

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I can't imagine why a digital synth such as the Wavestation couldn't be accurately recreated in a softsynth from the same manufacturer. If anything I would expect that newer processors and D/A converters would improve things, although there might be a desirable "grunginess" that might be lost.

As far as the rest of your list goes I suggest you buy Zebra 2, get the "Oldskool" patch banks and close your eyes.

So I've got that bug again. I have a hit-list of a few older/vintage synths that I'd like to buy (some, again)... From your experience, can you tell if they are worth it...I mean really? Can I emulate these specific boards with soft-synths?

1. Roland JD800

2. Korg Wavestation A/D (Is Korg's Digital Collection really the bomb?)

3. Novation Supernova ProX

4. Roland Juno 60

There you go. Sell me - I'd rather not have 3 more keyboards in the studio, but if I can't find good soft emulations, I just may HAVE to. Anybody have Jupiter 8V? Thoughts?

get the JV990 w/Vintage Synth exp

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

CJ:

You've been around this place too long to think that ANYONE here is going to talk you or ANYONE ELSE out of buying ANYTHING. This is the anti-AA, my friend. Here, if you want a drink, we hand you the bottle!

So, I say buy. Early and often. You don't just want those synths. You need those synths, and you need them now! :evil::rawk:

Noah

Skip the Wavestation; the digital version is way cheaper, includes ALL of the add-on libs (many of them otherwise elusive), and has a mode for grunge factor if you want it to sound as dirty as the original. Not to mention it's possible for humans to program it; unlike the rack version :-).

And you get the M1 and all of the M-series and T-series add-on libraries as well. Nothing special, but I actually use a ticking clock that I couldn't find anywhere else, seriously reprogrammed and filtered it, and found it the ideal sound to layer into a local TV news hour theme that I wrote recently (and which is still in the loop for consideration, thankfully).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Nothing special, but I actually use a ticking clock that I couldn't find anywhere else, seriously reprogrammed and filtered it, and found it the ideal sound to layer into a local TV news hour theme that I wrote recently (and which is still in the loop for consideration, thankfully).

So can we hear it???

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Haha, that depends on whether it gets used. If it gets used, I can point you to their website. If not, I can attach it here as being a jingle it is quite short so under 1 MB as an MP3. It uses Vienna Instruments for all the orchestral stuff. It was a lot of fun.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hey mark...I did one for the local 24hour news here several years ago. Maybe 10. When I did it, samples weren't what they are now and the thing ran for a long while and haunted me. The thing has some reaaalllyy busy drums that I programmed on an old R8 and some kind of distorted guitar sample that makes me ill now when I hear it. The video had a lot of quick action type cuts. I should re-vamp it over the holidays just for my own piece of mind, but then again......who cares. Good luck with your thing. Even though mine sounds like fingernails on a chalk board to me now, it did bring in a lot of local work there for a minute.

I own a Juno 60 and a JD-990 (+ Vintage expansion). Very nice synths indeed. However, you might want to consider something like a DSI PolyEvolver. You can most likely cover all the ground you're trying to cover with one of those beasties.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

CJ:

You've been around this place too long to think that ANYONE here is going to talk you or ANYONE ELSE out of buying ANYTHING. This is the anti-AA, my friend. Here, if you want a drink, we hand you the bottle!

So, I say buy. Early and often. You don't just want those synths. You need those synths, and you need them now! :evil::rawk:

Noah

Good point :D

ivorycj

Jeez, I thought this topic was going to have some good synths to talk about, you know:

Oberheim 8 voice

Jupiter 8

Arp 2500

Chroma

None of those you mentioned interest me much.

mate - I missed that whole era of synths (musically), and I don't know if they sonically appeal to me (ducking for cover). I know the Jupiter 8 is one of the most sought after synths on the planet, but does it do what I'm looking for (big, fat, 'Atmospheric' pads)? Also, for what I can probably get Jupiter 8V for - would it be worth it? The other stuff, I simply don't know enough about to be dangerous. I seem to think I like the Oberheim sound, though...

ivorycj

I own a Juno 60 and a JD-990 (+ Vintage expansion). Very nice synths indeed. However, you might want to consider something like a DSI PolyEvolver. You can most likely cover all the ground you're trying to cover with one of those beasties.

kad, based on current gear:

Multiple Kurzweil K-series units (a K2600 or 4), PC2R-O, Fantom XR, Triton rack, Trinity rack, JX10, Motif ES8, nord lead 3 rack...

will the PolyEvolver scratch my itch? Do you have a sound bank for the DSI stuff that is simply paddish type instruments?

CJ

ivorycj

Archived